• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakunX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
CycloneSP wrote:
what do you mean delay? The ep aired just fine last week.

It must have aired on a different station or something cause I also saw it last week. Very confusing.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
CycloneSP wrote:
what do you mean delay? The ep aired just fine last week.

It must have aired on a different station or something cause I also saw it last week. Very confusing.

It didn't air at all last week. However, it was ready to be aired, and thus it was already subtitled by both Funimation and the Australian streaming service handling it - and both of their subbed versions were leaked, even though they were never put on their website. And so even though the episode never aired and was never available for legal streaming, it was available on several illegal streaming sites, where I assume the two of you watched it.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

It didn't air at all last week. However, it was ready to be aired, and thus it was already subtitled by both Funimation and the Australian streaming service handling it - and both of their subbed versions were leaked, even though they were never put on their website. And so even though the episode never aired and was never available for legal streaming, it was available on several illegal streaming sites, where I assume the two of you watched it.
AnimeLab(the Australian streaming site) actually streamed the episode. They removed the episode but it was too late since the episode was already ripped.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
I didn't particularly see the parellel to begin with, but is shifting it from "the midst of a hostage crisis" to "the same day the second hostage is tragically beheaded" really an improvement?
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
this is one of my favorite manga, so looking forward to anime adaptation but it' likely gonna be an ad for the manga without an end, unless it has the courage to go all FMA or akame ga kill on us and make up it's own unique ending, (though only akame ga kill and the orignal FMA did it well)

There isn't a chance that this will only become an ad for the manga, at least in the long run. *Readies Crystal Ball* In the short run, it is obvious that with the manga going for well over 100 chapters plus ongoing and the anime aiming for 22 (21 due to last week's delay? Hope they air all of them) even someone who hasn't read the manga knows the whole story isn't likely this year.

Still, the manga and core concept was a massive hit long before the TV anime was on the cards, not too dissimilar to Bakuman (or Kuroko no Basket) which went for 20ish episode long seasons till completion. When it comes to anime adaptations, it isn't only One Piece/Naruto (ongoing adaptation for years and years with no stopping), FMA (adaptation with made up ending) and Berserk (an advert for the manga - a good one but still).

Sven Viking wrote:
I didn't particularly see the parellel to begin with, but is shifting it from "the midst of a hostage crisis" to "the same day the second hostage is tragically beheaded" really an improvement?

Perhaps not, but it is a common practice for TV channels, video game companies, radio stations etc to adapt/cancel their scheduling, marketing and selling either for the safety of staff or to avoid a backlash about being too soon on a topic or basing themselves on the topic itself.

This happens regardless of whether the original material outdates the topic at hand as well as you can see here or with Spiderman 2 which had the final level changed for later printing despite the game being released prior to the event.

See this for 9/11 examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainment_affected_by_the_September_11_attacks

TV Tropes has a healthy set of examples not related focused on anime as well (9/11 has a page too): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooSoon

Not saying that other examples makes it right, but you can at least say that there is a trend for this.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
Not really complaining -- while I don't think of the story as related, I guess Koro-sensei is admittedly holding the Earth hostage. I just don't understand what makes this release timing any more appropriate than last week, or why it's "easier to focus on as a piece of entertainment" a few hours before or after the murder (I don't know when it airs exactly?) than it would have been last week.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up through Episode 5 and I must say I don't think I have seen a more entertaining anime.

Without reading the manga it seems pretty clear where the story is going -- I am just waiting for the first student to declare they don't want to kill the teacher.

Does the song in the ending credits have some melodic intervals that remind anyone besides meet of the song from Hell Girl?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I am just waiting for the first student to declare they don't want to kill the teacher.

spoiler[Keep waiting, cause it's not going to happen. EVER. There's not even a hit of that possibility. Korosensei is STILL a monster, despite his kindness, and he can make good on his threat to destory the earth. He has more then enough power and so far we've seen nothing to tells he won't do it.]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

The thing that aided the episode the most wasn't (just) the writing, acting or animation, but the BGM and ambient music. The musical score of the anime helped to to show the seemingly-regular principle-teacher talk was actually a declaration of war against Koro-Sensei's teachings, even if it will ultimately cause the destruction of Earth.

I like the principle Asano Gakuhō as a counter to Koro-Sensei. The short speech he made about the ants' working percentage and he vision for Kunugigaoka Junior High, while seems twisted and discriminatory at first glance (as stated in the Review), his overall outlook on the school's effectiveness as a whole is indeed in line with that of most teachers: to increase the students' grades and raise their motivation.

Now, the show has finally established itself with the much-needed anti-Koro, and he's as badass (in his own way) as Koro-Sensei.

On a side-note, I wonder how the schedule will be for the show, as it is supposed to be a 22-episode show, and with the delaying of Episode 3, there's a one-week delay in the airing dates for the rest of the episodes. The possible courses of action are to air two episodes at once (like Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru's first 2 episodes), change the episode count to 21 and adjust the series accordingly, keep the original 22-episodes count and "bite" into other show's airdate, or air a total of 21 episodes with the 22th getting a home-video-only release (like Dragon Ball Z Kai, whose 98th episode was delayed by the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
22 episodes? But the manga's still ongoing. Are they going to make a second season later or something?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
while seems twisted and discriminatory at first glance (as stated in the Review), his overall outlook on the school's effectiveness as a whole is indeed in line with that of most teachers: to increase the students' grades and raise their motivation.

Not just at the first glance, but at second glance and all glances after that.

The fact is Gakuhō is cheating to build his doctrine. If he were actually true to that he could always assign the bottom 5% performers to the E class, but what he is doing instead is gaming the system to keep specific individuals there. That is in line with nobody who is not corrupt at their core.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Not just at the first glance, but at second glance and all glances after that.

The fact is Gakuhō is cheating to build his doctrine. If he were actually true to that he could always assign the bottom 5% performers to the E class, but what he is doing instead is gaming the system to keep specific individuals there. That is in line with nobody who is not corrupt at their core.

It's no different than what Nazi Germany did with creating a group of Undesirables (which included several groups, not just the Jews), making them the focus of everyone's hatred and rage and unifying the country more firmly behind the ruling party. Lots of rulers have done this sort of thing over the years, to greater or lesser degrees.

It's... not a very nice way to go about things, and ultimately it breeds a sort of person I wouldn't like to be around.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Watching the dub, the students' lines sound a lot more pithy. But it isn't distracting like Future Diary's dialogue.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Watching the dub, the students' lines sound a lot more pithy. But it isn't distracting like Future Diary's dialogue.

I just went back and watched as well, and although the students came through fine I didn't much care for Koro Sensei's voice.

Why did they change the reward value from 10 billion yen to a mere 10 million dollars?

Irrelevant note: I noticed that Irinia isn't in the opening credits in the first episode, but she shows up as part of the dance later.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
So Assassination Classroom episode 07 (and presumably 08 as well) is pretty much the same as the Assassination Classroom OAV released back in 2013, with some minor changes.

No judgement/opinion here (except that the dress is BLUE AND BLACK, WTF is wrong with peoples' eyes?!), I just thought I'd pass this info along to anyway who has seen the OAV. You can skip this episode if you're short on time and just looking for plot points.

It's like the difference between Hunter X Hunter 1999 and 2011, in that you can skip it without missing anything, but it HAS been completely re-animated/re-scripted, if you care to watch.

EDIT: But seriously, if you've watched Hunter X Hunter 1999 and were wondering about jumping into 2011, yes, you COULD just watch 2011 starting at around episode 76. BUT you COULD ALSO just watch all of 2011 and it would STILL BE AWESOME the second time around. Actually, I'm really just ^%#)@$*ing jealous of anyone who hasn't watched the 2011 series yet.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8