• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your opinions on X (X/1999)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'd put the worrying aside that they couldn't go back to the X style. Yeah, it's going to be slightly different because all artist are constantly improving they're style, but it's not hard to go back to a set style for a project. People who animate and such have to go by a certain style all the time, and Clamp can do it. I think they'll just have to get back in the rhythm of it. Anyway, for fun, here's some recent artwork by them to check out related to that subject:

Not sure where this scan is from exactly, but here you go. Tsubasa X-style. Anime hyper I'm so out of the loop with my CLAMP fandom, I forget what artist does what.
http://fukanounashigoto.free.fr/livejournal/layout17.jpg

You can see all the tsubasa touches still, but with them going back to the x-style, I think the only big difference will be will be how they color the works, and that anatomy.

Must say I like Sakura in X style. Anime smallmouth

And the recent CLOVER dvd required CLAMP to go back to the CLOVER style, so check that out for kicks:
http://fukanounashigoto.free.fr/livejournal/temp/cloverdvd_cardfront.jpg

Now with that picture, you really can tell the difference in style, or at least me. There's just something off with her eyes which I can't quite pinpoint, but the biggest thing for me are her legs. That's their Tsubasa anatomy style *I'm gonna call it that*

I think if CLAMP wants to go back to the X style the only thing they'll need to train themselves with to get back to the original style as close as possible will be the anatomy. I never really did like the weird anatomy in Tsuabsa. Too... long.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I never really did like the weird anatomy in Tsuabsa. Too... long.

Yeah, it's a bit weird. I know there is some Fai shrine out there that really nails it though, when trying to talk about his physical appearance. They said something like this: Fai looks like he is roughly 6 feet tall and weighs about 50 pounds when wet Very Happy

Of course, CLAMP does at least manage to make the odd proportions look stylized rather than wrong, something which I don't think computes over to the xxxHolic anime because there are times when it just looks hideous, IMO.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Yeah, it's a bit weird. I know there is some Fai shrine out there that really nails it though, when trying to talk about his physical appearance. They said something like this: Fai looks like he is roughly 6 feet tall and weighs about 50 pounds when wet Very Happy

Muahaha! Laughing Well, it is sort of a running joke in Tsubasa that Fai is painfully thin, though relatively tall, so in his case I think the effect is very intentional.

Sad to hear that the woodblock look that they go for in xxxHOLiC didn't translate well to screen. Maybe it's just an artistic style that lends itself to stillness rather than movement.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Sad to hear that the woodblock look that they go for in xxxHOLiC didn't translate well to screen. Maybe it's just an artistic style that lends itself to stillness rather than movement.

I feel in love with the XXXholic style because of it's superb use of black and white. The only way I'd be happy with it animated was if it was pretty much all black and white, which wouldn't happen. Adding color and anime style shadows just took away the main appeal to the style.

Course that being said, I love the colored XXXholic pictures. Maybe if they just stuck to the color scheme the XXXholic world seems to be in, but the anime chose to go for bright.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I feel in love with the XXXholic style because of it's superb use of black and white. The only way I'd be happy with it animated was if it was pretty much all black and white, which wouldn't happen. Adding color and anime style shadows just took away the main appeal to the style.

I found the colour scheme to be fine, it was just the fact that the proportions were really inconsistent that made it look bad. There were definitely times when I was shocked to think that the people making the show were professional artists.
Oronae

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I wish that VIZ would run the manga in Shojo Beat with a new translation. That way we can get our X in right to left format with 100% less harbingers and VIZ can make a ton of money selling the rest of older left to right print versions to the people who get hooked through the magazine but are impatient (and selling the new right to left volumes to me again).
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Now that's an interesting comment. It's too late now, but a film noir Sin City type of effect - mostly b&w with maybe a splash of red here and there - would have been intriguing, different, and very appropriate for the story.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Course that being said, I love the colored XXXholic pictures. Maybe if they just stuck to the color scheme the XXXholic world seems to be in, but the anime chose to go for bright.

Bright colors? Now that doesn't sound good at all. IMHO it should have had a generally dark, mysterious color scheme.

It doesn't sound like too many people were especially happy with either xxxHOLiC or Tsubasa in anime form. It's really too bad.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:

It doesn't sound like too many people were especially happy with either xxxHOLiC or Tsubasa in anime form. It's really too bad.

I thought the xxxHolic anime was okay at first, it's what got me into the series, but once you read the manga it really does fall flat. And not just because of the bad art, but it also completely alters the order in which stories happen, which of course means any character development that is in the manga is completely undone because something that happened in vol 8 could be beside something that happened in vol 1 (numbers chosen at random).
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I never really did like the weird anatomy in Tsuabsa. Too... long.

Of course, CLAMP does at least manage to make the odd proportions look stylized rather than wrong, something which I don't think computes over to the xxxHolic anime because there are times when it just looks hideous, IMO.

I personally like CLAMP's style for xxxHOLiC--it is stylish.

X/1999 also has beautiful artwork, and that's part of what I love about it. It's pretty much a staple for CLAMP to have some sort of cool style to their manga.

I agree in the sense that, after all these years, there might be a sort of a change in art style (unintentional, due to the years of practice) if CLAMP were to continue X. But, I won't hold it against them--CLAMP hasn't led me wrong yet.

What shocks me about X is that it's so violent--here, you have the group responsible for Cardcaptors and Chobits and the like--they have some questionable material (nudity, in Chobits), but nothing that bad. Then X comes along, and spoiler[you see Kotori's (?) mother diced up into porkchops]. I know that Shoujo can also be violent, but I don't understand why they decided to be so violent in X...

Not that I'm complaining--it's stylish violence, unlike Elfen Lied.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2