• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hi-Fi Cluster Sci-Fi Crime Manga to End in Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Pity. It's the one that I voted for in Jump Start, but mainly because it wasn't as bad as the others that round. It had a good start but then meandered a bit. There doesn't seem to be a lot of other good series out there though, Jump is really starting to lose their big guns.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Shame, I enjoyed reading it the most out of all the current series of weekly jump
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Yep, if you've been following, this is more expected than not.
Now what's surprising is the lack of info on what the next batch of series will be.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Good. It sucked.

If WSJ just managed to put our ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM and that Hero Academy thing, it'd have in it all of the Japanese edition's heavy hitters. It'd be great, but I wonder what kind of issues wouldn't allow them to do it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
I like Hi-Fi Cluster's concept, but the pacing was all over the place. I couldn't get a strong grasp of the world or characters.

Yeah, it had a really nice first chapter, and that's why I voted for Hi-Fi Cluster, but then afterwards, it was kind of confused about what it wanted to be. I was hoping for it to be the technothriller that the first chapter was leading up to, but it simply because a science fiction police series.

I could get the characters just fine, but it, too, was confused about whether Candela or Peta is the protagonist.

My guess is that there was a dispute between Ippei Goto and the editors. To my knowledge, this is Goto's first time serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump, and he was likely told that technothrillers don't get good ratings. Changing it to a police series apparently didn't help.

Jajanken wrote:
WHAT THE HELL WHY??? Was it not good enough? Look at frisking e robot. I want this series to stay damn it!

Hi-Fi Cluster has been struggling in the rankings, big time, surrounded by fellow August 2014 premieres Judos and Sporting Salt usually in the bottom three.

I was holding out hope that Hi-Fi Cluster would avoid cancellation though, as unlike Judos or Sporting Salt, Hi-Fi Cluster sometimes outdoes Kochikame and Bleach in the rankings with an upwards spike for one chapter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2