• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Halko Momoi Cancels Day's Appearances at Anime Expo 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
saorren wrote:
well, if you say so i understand. i really like seiyuus therefore i felt a little bit offended when you made the statement. but since you have personal experience... and i do believe not all of them would be as friendly and understanding... *sigh*

I honestly love seiyuu. I'm not trying to take a jab at them at all (in fact, if you look at my interests in my profile it includes "seiyuu"). But you know, they're still human. Not all of them are going to be as nice and respecting of fans as others. It would be nice if certain people were immune to such things...

Kiichi.Goto wrote:
アニメエキスポは……ひどかったよ。
アニメやそれに関わる人に対するリスペクトが全く感じられなかった。
(anime expo was .... terrible)
(I couldn't feel respect from the people involved in anime at all)

And I can see why. As I've mentioned before, I hate the AX staff (namely, the ones that coordinate and run the events). This couldn't be more evident than looking at how they handled the SOS Brigade Invasion Tour (which if it weren't for Aya's great singing, it would've been a complete disaster). They're extremely unprofessional and lack respect for both guests and fans as well (mostly fans, but guests too with all the problems and lack of resources that come from them).
Charismaho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quote
I hate the AX staff too. It was my first time going to AX and it will be my last. I mean I guess I'm a little harsh to say that the staff made my AX experience horrible because after all it was a really big event. It's understandable that it is difficult to run such a large event smoothly. Though some of the AX staff were really rude, and a lot of them were just so damn clueless. I went up to an AX staff to ask her where the exhibit hall was at since I already have my badge (this was Friday morning). She did not listen to a single word I said. She told me to get in the ridiculous long line (the one to pick up the badge). Good thing I didn't listen to her. I had to go up to many AX staff to get around, and all of them told me something different. Horrible. Do they even get trained??
CuteyHoney

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
I went to the panel. She broke down and cried. I can tell that she really feels bad about the way things are going. I really admire her.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
CuteyHoney wrote:
I went to the panel. She broke down and cried. I can tell that she really feels bad about the way things are going. I really admire her.

If you don't know Momoi, she is a very emotional person. The crying was more due to the fact that she was touched by her fans. Also meeting some fans she has known online for years was probably pretty surprising. Although, she was probably having a bad day because of AX, and her fans made her feel better. Everybody was giving her gifts, she said thank you numerous times.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
you would think with all the kickbacks, I mean bribes, I mean sponsership money being thrown at the con, they could afford better staffing. I have had my dislikes about the guests at Otakon, but they run a top notch operation, and I have nothing bad to say about the actual con staff.
CuteyHoney

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
CuteyHoney wrote:

If you don't know Momoi, she is a very emotional person. The crying was more due to the fact that she was touched by her fans. Also meeting some fans she has known online for years was probably pretty surprising. Although, she was probably having a bad day because of AX, and her fans made her feel better. Everybody was giving her gifts, she said thank you numerous times.

I know she did. I wished I could have gotten her autograph. I doubt she'll come to another American con anytime soon.
kingofkaraoke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
What I can tell you from my own experience is that Halko Momoi apparently had some contract issues with AX (my basic guess is that AX screwed up her dates). So although she did attend her focus panel (which, I believe, she wasn't contractually obligated to do due to the mix-up by AX), she had to cancel all other scheduled appearances this past weekend (including press availability and her two autograph sessions). I can report that I did spot at the AX Info Booth that there was a big sign announcing all of Momoi's autograph sessions were canceled.

She did, however, agreed to hold her concert, although she warned at her focus panel that even that could possibly be canceled (the day of, Monday) as well. She also reportedly came to tears during the focus panel and mentioned her frustration with AX's professionalism. I believe that she also brought many of her close personal friends and staff with her to America in preparation for her big debut here but was visibly upset that most of it was going to be canceled due to her contractual issues with AX.

The reason for the cancellation of her other appearances was, obviously, to give her some time to prepare for her concert that was going to take place days earlier than when she had expected (and was contracted) to do. It was the right decision to make, because neither she nor her staff were given enough time to prepare and set-up the concert otherwise. If she was going to do the concert, that was the only choice to make.

Fortunately, she did ultimately went through with the concert on Monday, and I attended the event. She really poured out her heart during the concert and delivered probably the most energetic and hard-working performance I ever saw at a Japanese concert. And although the crowd was small (my guess: the non-holiday Monday date + possibility of cancellation + the Transformers line were to blame), the audience gave her full love and tremendous energy, which evidently improved her mood near the end and inspired her to post a more positive entry on her blog later on.

What is important to note, though, is that she burst into tears during her last song and couldn't stop crying for a good 1-2 minutes (still, she continued and finished the song). I was touched but didn't fully understand the meaning behind all the emotion until I talked with guys after the concert who went to her focus panel. That's when I learned about the contract screw-ups caused by AX leadership.

Anyway, during the concert, Momoi also tossed out red pre-autographed festival balls to the audience. I talked with a fellow who caught one of the them, and when he showed me the item, the date written on the ball was previously written something else and then crossed out and corrected with July 2.

I think that indisputable piece of evidence tells you all that you need to know about what happened to her and who is to blame...

That bit of information should also prove anyone who thought that she WANTED to cancel her autograph sessions are completely mistaken. She not only wanted to hold all her autograph sessions, but she had also planned (well ahead of time) to distribute additional autographs to her concert-goers as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2