• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms One Piece Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dentedonion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't claim to be an expert in Japanese, but hearing Shit or Crap from properly portrayed Sanji works fine for me. If they have to tone it down for the dub so be it. I'm just thrilled that this dubbing company is going to be working hard to stay as true to the show as possible. Very Happy I'm tired of hearing people trash talk my favorite anime because of a bad dub. Can't wait to hear the original score on televison. :excited:
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:00 am Reply with quote
You have to remember that One Piece is still a childrens TV show, regardless of what is cut out, and it's not an issue of 'dumbing' it down when even if the author/original production, assuming they spoke english, would never intend for it to be "shit" in the first place.

It's niec that it's coming out, but this is DBZ all over again. By the time they go back to episode 1 at the rate they are at now (indefinant release of first 143 episodes, 2-3 sets per year), adding the fact that there will be a format change for a majority of things while the show is still coming out, and the fact that FUNimation still cant author DVDs for jack squat, well, I guess I'm just going to go without Smile
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
TheGreatUrameshi13 wrote:
I wonder how much cash Funi's going to have to pony up to get Viz to release the rights to the episodes they have?

I think an e-mail campaign is in order to pressure Viz to give up the goods so we can get some decent dubs for One Piece.

I don't think that Funimation is going to 'pony' any cash over. I bet Viz is just going to keep the license, therefore the only place to get season one and two or via Viz. And I certainly don't think that a bunch of emails (that will probably won't be read and will be in the spam folder) is really going to change that.

Viz has no interest in helping FUNimation and they are hoping to cash in on FUNimation's superior works. Normally, distribution licenses like Viz has come from the original licensor. I've read that Viz may have gotten the distribution license from Toei directly. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but isn't out of the recent realm of possibility as seen in the Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid licensing deal. Either way, Viz has a legal contract and could make things ugly for FUNimation if FUNimation pushed things. If its true that Viz won't be able to distribute in 2009, then FUNimation will simply wait Viz out. I'm sure they'll do whatever they need to do to begin releasing those former 4Kids episodes as soon as Viz is gone from the picture.

Viz is in their rights to do what they are doing, but it shows their true colors (not that I didn't know those colors already).
Zrana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
It always amuses me when people site fansubs for proper or standard translation of words. As if anime is the best way to learn contextual Japanese. Laughing

As for Sonic saying "shit" well... I think the Japanese, at least when it comes to stuff on tv, doesn't see using foreign curse words as a big deal. It's not like everyone is definitely going to understand it after all.

Quote:

I know I wanted Luci Christian as Nami, But i'm starting to think she been over used for Roles in Funimation's show.. She's a ADV and should generally stay in ADV ..
But some times do a Funi becuase it's ok.. But now she's in School rumble as the main Female role and Now as Nami.. And she'll have the role in Negima!? it's gotta be enough having her in almost every show From ADV but now i have to listen to her in almost all my new Funimation Releases.

What, she's not allowed to drive from one city to another in Texas as a means of making money? Do you realize how much crossover there really is with Funi and ADV? The actors go to where they jobs are, and if they get cast as a lead part, kudos for them! (And from my understanding, Funi seems to have an easier door to get into if you're already a VA elsewhere, so it's no wonder so many originally primerily from ADV are there too now)
CloakBass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
```````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
CloakBass wrote:
It's a shame they couldn't have kept Zoro's original voice, that was the highlight of the 4Kids voice cast for me. I also have to say I liked Chopper's voice and Usopp, Luffy, Wapol & Buggy sorta grew on me. That said, it's hard to be upset when the script will no doubt be a lot better and they won't skip episodes.

Zoro's original voice is Kazyua Nakai & his pitch is fairly similar to Hiroaki Hirata, the original Sanji, except casting Hiroaki Hirata as Captain Jack Sparrow for the Japanese Kingdom Hearts is absolutely perfect-he does sort of deliver like Captain Jack. (Meaning Sanji is a bit mushier in delivery, but it's not like the casting in Saiyuki where the 4 leads sound more distinctively different) If I'm not watching the screen, I can confuse the 2 voices.

And the original Usopp is Kappei Yamaguchi. InuYasha. Ranma. I prefer his cute little boy voices(Giant Robo) & crazies(Gravitation) (the scene in Dead Leaves with Retro rolling around the padded room is too cute due to the sounds he's making)

Chopper is Ikue Ohtani. Pikachu. When Chopper gets excited, he very much sounds like Pikachu.

Off the top of my head without checking the cast, Buggy was Shigeru Chiba, wasn't he? Don what-is-name from Bleach. Raditz. Kuwabara.

I want to hear Arlong-Jyrouta Kosugi has one of those excellent deep voices. And Crocodile, again off the top of my head, is Dabura/DBZ.

And the cute guy with the rebels, the princess's friend-is, as I recall Takeshi Kusao-Trunks/DBZ.

And the wait will be so long to hear Jango & Mr. 2. Oh, well. I do enjoy Kazuki Yao. (Dark Schneider/Bastard). At least we're coming up on Frankie. And Takehito Koyasu's Aoi Kiji. And Tomokazu Seki's Lucci. And Ryoutarou Okiayu's Kaku.

What do you mean "Original voices"?

The price tossed around for the dvds is pretty much the same as Naruto. $25 sale price for 13 eps too much? I paid $125 for Trigun & considered it a bargain 4 or 5 yrs ago.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
CloakBass wrote:
It's a shame they couldn't have kept Zoro's original voice, that was the highlight of the 4Kids voice cast for me. I also have to say I liked Chopper's voice and Usopp, Luffy, Wapol & Buggy sorta grew on me. That said, it's hard to be upset when the script will no doubt be a lot better and they won't skip episodes.

Zoro's original voice is Kazyua Nakai & his pitch is fairly similar to Hiroaki Hirata, the original Sanji, except casting Hiroaki Hirata as Captain Jack Sparrow for the Japanese Kingdom Hearts is absolutely perfect-he does sort of deliver like Captain Jack. (Meaning Sanji is a bit mushier in delivery, but it's not like the casting in Saiyuki where the 4 leads sound more distinctively different) If I'm not watching the screen, I can confuse the 2 voices.

And the original Usopp is Kappei Yamaguchi. InuYasha. Ranma. I prefer his cute little boy voices(Giant Robo) & crazies(Gravitation) (the scene in Dead Leaves with Retro rolling around the padded room is too cute due to the sounds he's making)

Chopper is Ikue Ohtani. Pikachu. When Chopper gets excited, he very much sounds like Pikachu.

Off the top of my head without checking the cast, Buggy was Shigeru Chiba, wasn't he? Don what-is-name from Bleach. Raditz. Kuwabara.

I want to hear Arlong-Jyrouta Kosugi has one of those excellent deep voices. And Crocodile, again off the top of my head, is Dabura/DBZ.

And the cute guy with the rebels, the princess's friend-is, as I recall Takeshi Kusao-Trunks/DBZ.

And the wait will be so long to hear Jango & Mr. 2. Oh, well. I do enjoy Kazuki Yao. (Dark Schneider/Bastard). At least we're coming up on Frankie. And Takehito Koyasu's Aoi Kiji. And Tomokazu Seki's Lucci. And Ryoutarou Okiayu's Kaku.

What do you mean "Original voices"?

The price tossed around for the dvds is pretty much the same as Naruto. $25 sale price for 13 eps too much? I paid $125 for Trigun & considered it a bargain 4 or 5 yrs ago.

I think they meant "Zolo's" voice from the 4kids dub. he was the only one who sounded alright. They were talking about the 4kids dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Okay, wait a sec, I probably sound like some kind of ignorant idiot or something for asking this, but Viz has the rights to the anime? I know they have the rights to the manga, but the anime? Confused I always thought it was just 4kids. Well if Viz has the rights to the first 2 seasons, then I see no reason to complain about it given that if it's Viz, it's probably a pretty darn good dub. But then if that's true, then why does it need to be re-licensed and re-dubbed? And why didn't CN just air those episodes?

I know, I know, I probably sound like an idiot asking about these things, but that just comes to show you how little I know about the current situation. In the meantime, unless Viz's version is really good, like Bleach or Naruto good, I'll be seeing what I can do about watching the fansubs up to the Funi episdes I guess. One way or the other, I'll get into this series eventually I hope! Sad
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Viz has the license to release the DVDs of 4Kids' episodes. While 4Kids can no longer dub any more episodes, Viz still has the license to release on DVD the episodes it got from 4Kids -- the first two "seasons", regardless of how long a "season" is in this situation...
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote
what about movies 1-7? Confused

Quote:
that means Viz will be handling the release for episodes 1-104 of the 4Kids dub (which corresponds to the first 143 in the JP version).

They cut out that much?!
Prince Alkana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
This is just awesome! Cool I can't wait for the new dub next month.

I think its smart that they are going to dub movie 8 seeing as the alasbta dub was soo horrible
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Viz has the license to release the DVDs of 4Kids' episodes. While 4Kids can no longer dub any more episodes, Viz still has the license to release on DVD the episodes it got from 4Kids -- the first two "seasons", regardless of how long a "season" is in this situation...

Ah, well that makes sense then. In that case, yes, Viz needs to swallow they're pride and let go of that license then, for the good of justice to this likely wonderful series. But of course, they'll never do that, will they?

In the meantime, I'll be trying to catch up via fansubs.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
That sounds like way more than just 2 seasons; a season is typically 13, sometimes 26, episodes.

Seasons for long-running 4Kids shows (namely, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Ninja Turtles, and One Piece) are typically split up into 26 to 52 episodes each. One Piece's first season was 52 episodes, and its second season was 52 episodes. The first FUNimation season is going to be 62 episodes based on what Cartoon Network has ordered (144-205).

population_tire wrote:
They cut out that much?!

You'd better believe it. One of 4Kids' last ditch efforts to turn the show into the marketing vehicle that they and Toei so desperately wanted was to introduce Chopper sooner, so they skipped and merged a whole mess of episodes to achieve that. Needless to say, it didn't work.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Why should Viz drop it?
They probably would for the right amount of cash, but hey--2 yrs & the license is up. Why should Funi pony up anything? If they play the waiting game, they only have to pay Toei for the rights, not Viz & Toei.
And is it worth forking over bucks for a 2 yr license? Why not focus on what they can get hteir hands on now &, like DBZ, they can go back to the early stuff later if the market is there. If it's as dead as the detractors say, then Funi can walk away as they have other titles that didn't work.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
like DBZ, they can go back to the early stuff later if the market is there. If it's as dead as the detractors say, then Funi can walk away as they have other titles that didn't work.

I think DBZ should serve as an example as to why companies should never do an out-of-order release, nor release any series they do not have the entirety of in the first place (welll, core story wise, at the very least). It's another reason why I cannot honestly support this venture, despite One Piece being a good series. Adding the fact that I've yet to see 1-143 in Japanese, or in English (4kids version was pretty awful).

While it might not work out the same way that DBZ did, it's still a risk I shouldn't have to take, especially when it will take them atleast two years (which will mean like, 52-78 episodes at most from their possible plans) to get to them, and by which time they will lose interest. Same thing with Kodocha, though it's a somewhat different circumstance, but they basically dodge the christ out of "we a license to everything" and then suddenly,. bam, no interest left.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5