• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Cameos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I think most people share my distaste for Glasslip. Pretty much nothing happens, and not in a good way like a lot of slice of life shows. Nothing really amounts to anything at any given moment, which leads to a weak conclusion. It's probably one of the worst anime I've ever watched.

True, Glasslip underachieved, but I would not call it the worst anime because it had potential and did a few neat things with a couple of characters. And let's not forget the pretty visuals courtesy of P.A Works.

By your harsh standards, the same label of worse anime can be applied to Terror in Resonance.

For the new poll, I voted for Aldnoah.Zero, Dai-Shogun - Great Revolution, Dramatical Murder, Recently, My Sister is Unusual and Sailor Moon Crystal.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I forget what the series is called, but this brief anime cameo of the Nostalgia Critic and Angry Video Game nerd is worth a mention.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
I forget what the series is called, but this brief anime cameo of the Nostalgia Critic and Angry Video Game nerd is worth a mention.

Zettai Karen Children - The Unlimited
Link to reference video
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Glasslip also had a cameo in it, fact fans. The two younger kids from Nagi no Asukara, Sayu and Miuna I think, were seen chasing around at some point. They didn't have the same voices, but they looked exactly the same. It did make me wonder if the series were connected, since places looked similar at times.
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This feels to me like another "The List" column that starts with the shows, and then puts together the theme around them. That's OK, but once again what is omitted is the last step of adding shows that actually fit the theme better that the ones it was created to highlight.

I can understand how you could overlook a show such as Seitokai no Ichizon (Student Council's Discretion), because I don't think it's well known. The first two episodes alone reference or directly parody Dragonball, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Sentai shows, BL, Mortal Kombat, Fullmetal Alchemist, Resident Evil, Yu-Gi-Oh!, H-Games, Death Note, Thomas Edison, and even the novels the show is based on, and those are just the ones I caught.

Gintama is the poster-child for this list. Just some of the shows parodied: Dragonball, Bleach, One Piece, Prince of Tennis, Lone Wolf and Cub, Ashita no Joe, Space Battleship Yamato, Eyeshield 21, Captain Harlock, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Heidi, Girl of the Alps. It even has actual cameos, unlike some of the shows that made the list. For example, Ryuk makes an appearance at the end of the Death Note parody episode, and the mangaka Hideaki Sorachi voices himself, albeit as a gorilla.

Special Mention to Space Dandy. Nearly every episode was a parody, or perhaps more accurately an homage. High school musicals, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's 'Endless Eight', Flowers for Algernon, Edwin A. Abbott's Flatland, Redline, 5 cm per Second, zombie films, Barbarella, that I remember. There was at least one cameo, Johnny Yong Bosch dubbing the character named for him.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
Things like Gintama and Bobobo make their bread and butter with references to other series and shows. The best Bobobo reference only works though if you are familiar with Yiddish Holocaust songs. It totally works.

As far as the best cameos in anime, I think when Fukumoto Nobuyuki gets to play the role of his own stereo typical Yakuza thug, that is the anime/J-Drama singularity right there

i'm surprised that neither of those two series got in the list cause of their references to other series.

hell i am even more surprised that Genshiken , Haruhi and Kujibiki Unbalance arent in this list since. especially genshiken considering that the series have to make references to other series since it is a slice of life series of of otaku fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I avoided most of the true dreck of the year, but out of the 38 shows that started in 2014 that I did watch, my bottom five were (in no particular order) Aldnoah.Zero, Black Bullet, Mahouka, Psycho-Pass 2, and Sailor Moon Crystal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Log Horizon's first season had some delightful cameos by Hero, Maou and the Warrior, Leafa (albeit with different color palettes), and Man With A Mission, who do the OP song.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Worst series: Glasslip. I don't like PA Works in the first place but reading the synopsis I had hope that this would change my perception of them. Alas it was not to be. Other choices? I watched 3 episodes of Haikyu and was bored, but that was because I don't like sports in general ( but I wouldn't have minded if it was girls volleyball) so I didn't vote for it. Instead I voted for the shaft stuff. Its not their fault that Shinbo does what he does to them, but I didn't like em so their my choices either way.

Madhouse number 1 hell yeah! Though ufotable number 2? Seriously? I like Kyoani even though it gets a lot of hate but ufotable higher than IG? I'm guessing its cause of the Type Moon adaptations, but IG has a longer history and more impressive body of works. I'm not a fan of Bones but I can understand people liking them. I'm not surprised JC Staff is kind of low, although I like them more than choices 5-8 combined
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
While more of a shout-out than a cameo:

Sora's impersonation of Gendo Ikari in one of the episodes of 'No Game, No Life' (I think Shiro was doing Fuyutsuki in the background, too) was totally awesome. Smile
Plus Shiro was literally playing Yu-Gi-Oh! in one episode, which kicks ass. I'd also add Asobi Ni Iku Yo, as it has a lot of random cameos ranging from Zero no Tsukaima and Sacred Blacksmith to Kampfer (Consignia's second to last pic). Its got even more references to Western tv shows and movies. Also gonna mention To Love Ru, which has many references to Black Cat and the manga of Mayoi Neko Overrun, which has many To Love Ru cameos. Oh and that episode of Okami san where Toradora and Railgun characters pop up.
thaivuN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I think Wooser no Sono Higurashi 2nd season should have been there. That season pretty much acted as a plug for other anime by having several anime characters appear on the show
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
scarletrhodelia wrote:
This feels to me like another "The List" column that starts with the shows, and then puts together the theme around them. That's OK, but once again what is omitted is the last step of adding shows that actually fit the theme better that the ones it was created to highlight.

Ah, that's an interesting interpretation, but I always go Theme then Shows and not the other way around. Choice limitations are always down to what I've seen followed by what I'm familiar with from writing for ANN if I haven't seen it in its entirety.

I don't think it's a secret after two years of writing this column that one of my biggest viewing blind spots are any long-running (specifically Shueisha) shows. In particular, I haven't watched Gintama, Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach (past episode 40). These shows have a great quantity of fans, and I wouldn't want to "wing" it to include one, not really know what I'm talking about, and completely goof it up.

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Solyentgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I think my favorite cameos were in the amusement park episode of Robot Carnival. A lot of Akira faces popping up.
scineram

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Quote:
7. Monogatari Series

Can someone validate my memory on this -- but did they do a cameo of some South Park character at some point?

And I think the most recent season did Lucy from Charlie Brown.

While are on it, who the hell are the middle four girls? They should be chuugakusei.

Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Rightmost: Akemi Homura
2nd from the rightmost: Kaname Madoka
2nd from the leftmost: Miki Sayaka
Leftmost: Sakura Kyoko

about the middle ones, I can't tell.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
Previous two posts: Oy, resize your immense picture. And don't quote the dang thing. Thanks.

Re: "these aren't cameos"... correct. But she expanded the definition to include "shout-outs" and such in the opening paragraph of the List.

Re: cameos... DavidShallcross's mention of the Lucky Star girls in the karaoke box in Kannagi (apparently doing the ED to one of their episodes!) is still my favorite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5