• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Japan's Animation Industry Reached Record High in 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I really don't want anime becoming more mainstream, at least not to where it's picked apart and sanitized like other facets of nerddom.

I don't think US mainstream will pull a 4kid/Saban style editing if it become mainstream. Anime has reach some part of mainstream thanks to Toonami/Adult Swim. I don't think what's wrong with anime becoming mainstream (or a household name) in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
^
Well, the possibility of 4Kids-level editing does end up being prevalent if anime shows that aren't of the Shounen type were to air during the daytime.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
^
Well, the possibility of 4Kids-level editing does end up being prevalent if anime shows that aren't of the Shounen type were to air during the daytime.

I highly doubt that, and I'll state why:

-because hardcore anime fans even industry like Funimation and Sentai will complain about it. That's why 4kid got hurt, the anime they did had too much editing and changes a lot of fans was turned off by it when they did this to One Piece. It's already been acknowledge anime is not a kid thing anymore in the US.

-TV viewership has decline thanks to internet streaming (and it'll continue to decline because of internet streaming). Don't even bring up smart TV, people use smart TV to watch Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and also CR to watch anime and other niche stuff, and thanks to these streaming sites; a niche thing can turn into mainstream (or even household name). Internet streaming is making it easier for uncensored content (including anime) to be shown. So there's no way anime will suffer a 4kids style editing when people can watch uncensored stuff online. TV was different, but internet streaming change the way how we can watch anime without excessive changing and cultural changes when it get exported outside of Japan.

So there is no way 4kid-style editing will come back in the future because we got the internet, if any editing happen. People will complain and in the age of internet multimedia, people can compared censored and uncensored version.

EDIT: Also I want to note I don't watch much TV, I use my smart TV to watch stuff on Youtube, and CR (yes I have the app). Most of my American shows I watch are on Hulu and I can watch it anytime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
So there is no way 4kid-style editing will come back in the future because we got the internet, if any editing happen. People will complain and in the age of internet multimedia.

But 4kids style editing is still around and is happening right now so I'm unsure what you're trying to say. Danball Senki and Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal are currently being heavnsored on Nicktoons, and Doraemon was as well on Disney Anime hyper. Cartoon Network still has Pokemon which is a edited dub-only thing. Youkai Watch already confirmed if it finds a US network it will be heavily altered as well. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. TV dubs have become fewer, but they still exist and it's a practice no amount of complaining will fix.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I really don't want anime becoming more mainstream, at least not to where it's picked apart and sanitized like other facets of nerddom.

Anime has the luxury that no matter how awful it may be censored, no matter how much it gets picked apart or chastized by bloggers, or how mainstream it gets in America, it's original and first priority will be the Japanese market and we as fans can just continue to watch it subbed while the rest of the fandom do their thing. There's the additional benefit that being mainstream in Japan doesn't automatically mean something bad like it is here. For example, it really stinks that as a Song of Ice and Fire fan the HBO Game of Thrones has essentially ruined the fandom and the image the series once had. It'll never be referred to as A Song of Ice and Fire again, Jon Snow will never not be modeled after Kit Harington, or Tyrion not being modeled after Peter Dinklage. Telltale makes no attempt at hiding they based their game off the HBO show rather than the original books, and that makes me realize we'll never have a chance at a proper Song of Ice and Fire video game ever again. In Japan, mainstream adaptions of books and manga are still animated, so they look and play out exactly like the source material. Goku will always be Goku, and he'll never have an actor become the mainstream approved official version of him like movies based on books and comics. Mainstream status in Japan isn't as condemning as it is here.

-Stuart Smith
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
When was anime ever main-stream Mr. Red Shoulder ? They have burgers in american Pokemen not onigiri'Cool'. Modern tv reviews think that Avatar(very good) is the first animated drama or something or reviewers here think that that modern mech anime is original. Tomini-san does not approve. Go Zeta or go home. Stuart Smith you are a poet. Your anime(the best there is) is comming back in style.
Way to many people in my life look down upon me for reading comics/manga and so on even if i work in a library where I/we spend taxpayers money to bye them. Oh well. Such is the price.
Arthouse is never going to go away too. And because of Kickstarter unpolished art anime is being made again. It like the ova´s of old returned in a minor way but with worse animation because no money. The manga industry never really crashed in japan by the way and my ongoing reading list is now at 180 titles. Not too shabby. Manga>anime 98% of the time after all.
This year a very good anime based on a 1988 manga(even better and the best horror manga i ever read) won the poll after all.
@mdo7 The Attack on Titan anime is way censored compared to the manga. It is shonen so not that hardcore but the torture scenes and the smeared apart child copses that are in it now are a sight you won´t see on tv next season. The show had almost no violence on screen and adultswim and so on are censoring to this very day btw.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:25 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
So there is no way 4kid-style editing will come back in the future because we got the internet, if any editing happen. People will complain and in the age of internet multimedia.

But 4kids style editing is still around and is happening right now so I'm unsure what you're trying to say. Danball Senki and Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal are currently being heavnsored on Nicktoons, and Doraemon was as well on Disney Anime hyper. Cartoon Network still has Pokemon which is a edited dub-only thing. Youkai Watch already confirmed if it finds a US network it will be heavily altered as well. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. TV dubs have become fewer, but they still exist and it's a practice no amount of complaining will fix.

Except for Yugi-Oh, most of the anime you listed are kid anime not something like Attack on Titan, that would be a big issue. But as I said, TV viewership in the US has been declining and it's being slowly replaced by internet streaming like Hulu, Netflix, etc... Why don't they put Yokai Watch on Dramafever (where they have kid section from Korea and China), or Hulu instead of network TV if you worried about editing. More people are watching shows online then ever.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

-TV viewership has decline... (and it'll continue to decline because of internet streaming).

The 1st part is about TV viewership. The 2nd part is about TV sales (and it's not because of internet streaming). Those are 2 different things.

Stuart Smith wrote:

In Japan, mainstream adaptions of books and manga are still animated, so they look and play out exactly like the source material. Goku will always be Goku, and he'll never have an actor become the mainstream approved official version of him like movies based on books and comics.

Alice incarnations in Japan has not been the same Alice in Wonderland novel. Japan too changes adaptations to suit their tastes.

residentgrigo wrote:

The show had almost no violence on screen and adultswim and so on are censoring to this very day btw.

Not really. Otherwise, point those out.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:33 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

I'd be genuinely surprised if one could make a solid argument about less creative freedom in a market where 170 shows come out a year VS a year of the 90s where only 20 shows came out. Just the sheer number of series alone means there's a good chance you'd find more variety today than in a single year back then.

The chart showing the latter half of the 90s was between 40-80 shows, not 20. Again, the number game doesn't give us comparable data either. There were ~40 tv series in 1996 just like the chart says. There were also just as many OVAs, which weren't tabulated in that chart.

Also consider that the overwhelming majority today are adaptations. I saw a table someone made showing that the number of original series, LN adaptations, and manga adaptations throughout the years and I'm pretty sure original series have decreased. Hence, creative freedom.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote
Here's a thought, are the numbers in the articles or graph adjusted for inflation? The record we're seeing may just be nominal.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

I wonder if it's a way to keep the "anime is dying" mantra alive by saying only western animation (read: one single movie) can save it and there's no way anime itself could be popular or successful. The sad thing is people will still probably try to say anime is dying and doomsay the industry for a reason I still don't fully comprehend.

I don't think it's that. I think it's the typical thing that you see on every website: I read one article therefore I am an expert on the topics this site covers and all of my completely baseless conjecture based solely off of the opinions of people in the comment section or a message board must be true despite all facts and reality suggesting otherwise.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

I'd be genuinely surprised if one could make a solid argument about less creative freedom in a market where 170 shows come out a year VS a year of the 90s where only 20 shows came out. Just the sheer number of series alone means there's a good chance you'd find more variety today than in a single year back then.

The chart showing the latter half of the 90s was between 40-80 shows, not 20. Again, the number game doesn't give us comparable data either. There were ~40 tv series in 1996 just like the chart says. There were also just as many OVAs, which weren't tabulated in that chart.

Also consider that the overwhelming majority today are adaptations. I saw a table someone made showing that the number of original series, LN adaptations, and manga adaptations throughout the years and I'm pretty sure original series have decreased. Hence, creative freedom.

"Later years of the 90s" and "a year of the 90s" are two completely different things.
Specifically, the year of 1990 had only 20 new anime series!
1996 had 37 new anime series!

About the original series having decreased. Are you talking of percentage of new titles or in total number?
In 2014 we had:
- 48 totally original series. 28.1% of the series made that year
- 26 Original series but in which the concept was already made in other media. 15.2% of the series made that year.
So in total you had 74 original titles this year, accounting as 43.3% of all series!

If you're talking of total number, 1996 had 37 titles, less than 48 titles, so this year has already more creative freedom in that aspect.
If you're talking of percentage, 1996 had 21 adaptations and so 16 original series(Totally + Other Media), that makes 43% of all series were original series. The same percentage has 2014.

1999, the biggest year of the 90s, had 69 new series. From those, 39 were adaptations. So 30 were original(Totally + Other Media), that is 18 less titles than 48 totally original series from 2014. Those 30 series make 43% of the series made that year, so practically the same percentage as 2014.

Just looking at those 3 separated years, it seems like the creative freedom percentage is the same, while currently there are more original titles.

Even if recent years before 2014 made less than 43% of original titles, I don't believe that the number is so inferior to be significant to say that the creative freedom was less.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Interesting to know is that 2006, the previous record year, had 158 new anime(not counting OVA, ONA and Movies). 2013 had 153, and was the year with more new anime since the 2006.
Seeing how 2014 will do is interesting, given that it made a record in the industry with 171 new anime. In movies we have Yokai Watch doing records for TOHO. Doesn't Frozen also counts as 2014? I believe so!

171 titles in 2014 does not say much comparing to 2000s since average episode count per animation series has fallen dramatically since then. Now, in 2010s, 13 episodes per title is basis, while in 2000s there were 26, and in earlier decades it was not uncommon to see 39 or even 52 episodes for a random (mediocre, average) anime.

Thus the number of titles such as 171 for 2014 most probably means lower actual anime production than in earlier decades.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

-TV viewership has decline... (and it'll continue to decline because of internet streaming).

The 1st part is about TV viewership. The 2nd part is about TV sales (and it's not because of internet streaming). Those are 2 different things.

Perhaps these articles will back this up:

Are Young People Watching Less TV?

Media life-Nielsen: Streaming video is way up, and live TV viewing is down

Wall Street Journal-TV Viewing Slips as Streaming Booms, Nielsen Report Shows

Time-Fewer People Than Ever Are Watching TV

Telegraph-How young viewers are abandoning television

So I don't think 4kid style editing will make it comeback because more young kids are watching stuff online and it's easy for uncensored content to be avaliable on streaming site. Also FCC can't control internet censorship unlike TV.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The Titas tv anime had not real violence(i read all 3 manga trust me) but i think you mean the american tv censorship part enurtsol.
I just named a station but they had Code Geass censored. They also censor swearing but they had nipples in the Dandy episode that criticised fan-service for 20 min. because it went by too fast during the mutation. So not all is lost.
Then Magi, Fairy Tail, Blue Dragon, Naruto and so on are castrated because boobZ and blood.
Even the shonen jump manga´s are not untouched as Jason noted in his Naruto rush.
My library has Blade of the Immortal and the Killing Joke btw in the kids corner with Tintin btw.
I am fixing that right now. Do the non-japanese Claymore volumes even have the gothic nude pin ups ? Name a shonen show that is not consored when it comes to american tv'Cool'. Here we had uncur Ranma at 14:00 and lesbian Sailor Moons too. All of Bersek is 16+.
You americans'Razz'. I also wonder why Legend of Korra went internet only all of a sudden. Do i know why ? Why did Nick not dare show in the ending on kidZ tv ? Hm. Never in germany i say.
But Hannibal(the perfect show for me) is daytime NBC tv-14(also censored). Of course.
The sorce is the first page of dr. google-san for all if you don´t trust me and know how to search. Nice discussion overall. Piece out and i never owned my own tv.
PC + internet since the 90s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:

I guess when I saw of creative freedom I assumed it was tied to the whole "only one type of anime gets made" and they can't do other things. I wouldn't consider an adaption restricting creative freedom though, because anything can be adapted: from cute girly stuff like K-ON to violent shounen like Attack on Titan to fujoshi stuff like UtaPri. Adaptions were still a big chunk of anime back in the 90s as well and thanks to bigivel for doing the numbers for me.

residentgrigo wrote:
I also wonder why Legend of Korra went internet only all of a sudden.
Do i know why ? Why did Nick not dare show in the ending on kidZ tv ?
Never in germany i say.
But Hannibal(the perfect show for me) is daytime NBC tv-14(also censored). Of course.

Korra did not go to the internet because of Korra's weak attempt at pushing the envelope by showing two characters holding hands, it went to the internet because no one was watching it and the ratings were abyssmal and continuing to shrink and Nickelodeon wanted to burn it off and be done with the franchise. The creator even admitted it was a last minute addition and pretty much everyone called him out on it because it was obvious.

But the key difference between comic books and prime time American shows to anime is anime is marketed to kids in America, or at least they try to. Naruto is a kids show in Japan, and they tried to market it as a kids show in America, so that means censored TV airings and censored manga releases. Yeah, some comic books and prime time shows get away with alot more, but that's because they're not marketing themselves for kids like Viz did with Naruto. I guess that's the argument why people are against anime being mainstream. Mainstream anime seems to be finding the next Pokemon or Dragonball Z and that means censoring and changing things to make it marketable to kids. You can't make it mainstream like Game of Thrones or Walking Dead because the general American public will not take animation seriously so that leaves only the children's market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5