• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Due Recognition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Paradox295 wrote:

H-Hey, Todd. Clarify something for me, here.

What stance did the GamerGate people have on this one? Because, uh. I seem to recall them being pro-Lucky Chloe.

This makes it seem like GamerGate were the crowd wanting the character removed from Tekken, when in reality, it was NeoGAF (a board which bans you for saying anything sympathetic towards GamerGate) who did. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947059

In fact, a quick glance at /r/KotakuInAction, notorious hub for GamerGate discussion, shows you that crowd were in fact against removing the character, who as you just said are in favour of keeping, too. http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2own4l/neogaf_has_no_right_to_dictate_to_devs_anything/

Unless, you were not confused and you just wrote an article containing a paragraph saying how "absurd and poorly substantiated " GamerGate was...

...followed by two more paragraphs explaining your agreement with them.

But nobody would do such a silly thing like that, would they? Wink

Well, Gamergate isn't absurd and poorly substantiated because it includes people who like Lucky Chloe. Gamergate is absurd and poorly substantiated because it turned harsh editorials and a developer's dating history into cause for boycotts, harassment, and conspiracy theories.

You seem to argue "If you agree with Gamergate supporters about one thing, you can't criticize them on any other points." Maybe that's true! Why, I just heard that most Gamergate people think we shouldn't drill into the planet's core and explode nuclear weapons there! I agree! I guess that makes me a person I disagree with politically! Boo to that no-good Sarkeesian! Leave those innocent Tropes alone!

"But it's the Social Justice types who hate Lucky Chloe!" you might say. Not really. Most of the complaints have to do with her cutesy design. Even in that Reddit thread you linked, someone points out that this isn't a case of dreaded feminists criticizing Lucky Chloe as sexist. It's a case of game geeks not wanting a catgirl cosplayer in Tekken.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Catgirl cosplayers are too absurd compared to pandas and robots. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Oh yeah, take Keiji Inafune and Hideo Kojima

Kojima's in a league of his own. He can pretty much do whatever he wants and no one's going to question him. Inafune's views seem really outdated though, probably as a result of him being irrelevant for the last 10 years and having to use Kickstarter to do anything recently.

Inafune has only left since 2010, and he has already years of industry experience under his belt. There are mangaka and anime directors who have had longer downtimes and still have something to say; we can't discount veterans just because we don't like what they're saying (e.g. can't discount Western developers who's been downtime for years but have something to say about the current game industry, like Sierra Online and LucasArts). Using Kickstarter doesn't matter - some people use it precisely because they're not satisfied with the current state, like Studio Trigger and Sekai Project had to do or the developers who started Oculus Rift.
kazume

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
Loving the stories posted about gamers reminiscing about the past when a boxed SNES or N64 simply did it for you. Gameboys, gameboy colors, Zelda64, Goldeneye, receiving that VHS tape about BanjoKazzoie (I still have mine btw, and it STILL works Anime hyper) promoting a game that's "The BEST NEW GAME SINCE DONKEY TEAMED UP WITH DIDDY!"

Needless to say, I saved my hard earned money to get that game, and the only disappointment I had with it was not being able to fight Gruntilda more than once post-game. Bowser on SM64 yes but Gruntilda no? Blasphemy?! that fight was epic for me, I don't care how many people hated it or mentioned broken control/flying mechanics and made it such a chore, that fight beats out any bowser fight to this VERY DAY for me.

But then this brings up another point... I think moments like those are gone, since we now simply 'expect' games and/or consoles to simply exist in order to wow us but now fail to do so as they did before. Oh sure The Last of Us left me speechless once the credits rolled, and seeing the final scenes of Skyward Sword allowed me to shed a manly tear for an ending to a video game in a LONG time...

But moments like your parents telling you at the age of 5 in November "No NES for you, its too expensive" and then hearing your brothers and sister furiously wrapping something in their room late December, and you barge in to see a hugely shaped black box and barely able to make out "Nin----- ---------ment S--tem" amidst a rushed wrapping job done so I wouldn't see the contents. Then seeing a perfectly wrapped box under the tree saying "From Santa" and knowing that for the first time since I was able to even comprehend Christmas, "The biggest box under the tree is for me this time, tonight is MY night!"

Growing up with my Brothers' Atari2600 and unwrapping that box to see the Mario/Duck Hunt cartridge along with that brand new NES was one night I'll never forget. Fiddling around with the VCR's cable to attach the RF unit to the TV and no longer having to fiddle around with a VHF connection was glorious and hearing that mario tune on world 1-1 will forever echo in the back of my mind until the day I die.

For moments like that and the ones I just read today, moments like those I believe are long gone. Probably not until I have kids of my own and try to recreate the feel with them furiously unwrapping a future console not-yet-made and them staring back at me with that "for real?!" look will be a moment I look forward to in the future.

Thanks for posting the stories,they warmed my heart and would read again any day Smile
Paradox295

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Well, Gamergate isn't absurd and poorly substantiated because it includes people who like Lucky Chloe. Gamergate is absurd and poorly substantiated because it turned harsh editorials and a developer's dating history into cause for boycotts, harassment, and conspiracy theories.

I don't care about some developer's dating history. I care that certain publications defended someone who psychologically abused their significant other, but whatever, that's irrelevant.

toddc wrote:
You seem to argue "If you agree with Gamergate supporters about one thing, you can't criticize them on any other points." Maybe that's true! Why, I just heard that most Gamergate people think we shouldn't drill into the planet's core and explode nuclear weapons there! I agree! I guess that makes me a person I disagree with politically! Boo to that no-good Sarkeesian! Leave those innocent Tropes alone!

I don't disagree with the format of her video series. I disagree with her using falsehoods in those videos, but again, irrelevant.

toddc wrote:
"But it's the Social Justice types who hate Lucky Chloe!" you might say. Not really. Most of the complaints have to do with her cutesy design. Even in that Reddit thread you linked, someone points out that this isn't a case of dreaded feminists criticizing Lucky Chloe as sexist. It's a case of game geeks not wanting a catgirl cosplayer in Tekken.

Game geeks on a forum which bans you for being skeptical about feminist theory, yeah.

I'm not saying "hurr, feminists want Lucky Chloe banned!!!1" or anything like that. I'm assuming you consider yourself a feminist and you don't want to ban Lucky Chloe, so there's evidence against that false statements.

My confusion is to where GamerGate is relevant to the Lucky Chloe thing. You seem to believe it's as relevant to GamerGate as "drilling into the planet's core and explode nuclear weapons there", so why open with a paragraph trashing GamerGate in a section talking about Lucky Chloe?

GamerGate is pretty anti-censorship of the movie The Interview, so should I open an article discussing the film being pulled with a paragraph saying GamerGate is a bunch of vile misogynists before continuing with the rest of the article in which I talk about why that movie should be censored?

No. I'd be tripping over my own shoelaces in a desperate attempt to shoehorn in a GamerGate bashing sentiment on a topic those that particular group of people agree with me on.

Or, I might have just soaked up the false strawman that "GamerGate is a bunch of macho dudebros who exclusively play CoD, think TF2 is casual and want to ban all female characters from videogames" so much that when I saw people wanting a female character removed from a videogame, I put 2 and 2 together and came out with 5.
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:18 am Reply with quote
How is Guilty Gear a runner up for your Game of the Year?

It's been out for a number of days. Is this to imply that you've had the game a significant amount of time to accurately judge it as a journalist?

Or are you simply throwing it in just because?

It seems like a lack of integrity, to be perfectly honest.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Paradox295 wrote:

My confusion is to where GamerGate is relevant to the Lucky Chloe thing. You seem to believe it's as relevant to GamerGate as "drilling into the planet's core and explode nuclear weapons there", so why open with a paragraph trashing GamerGate in a section talking about Lucky Chloe?

It isn't. The section was about stupid controversies. Todd was saying "Gamergate was stupid. Know what was also stupid? The whole Lucky Chloe thing."

You're the only one trying to say that Todd was trying to link the two beyond his assessment that they were both stupid controversies.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't mind that, because the first chunk of Broken Age is something special.

No, it really wasn't. It was a way too short point-and-click with some nice art, decent voice work, mediocre puzzles, and a gaping whole in the lack of the central game mechanic that the premise and bloody title promises. Clearly you're someone more swayed by production value and style as opposed to content.

Which brings me on to...
Drakengard 3, 'best game of the year'.

Why do I read this god-awful shite? At least call it your favourite game. There is no metric on which that game can be called the 'best' of anything.
toddc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
SaGa series

I do think SaGa Frontier had a lot of potential, but the game just wasn't finished to any degree of satisfaction. Asellus' story is a pretty good example. It puts forth some interesting ideas, but it didn't get enough space to develop them. I would've preferred Square remaking it instead of the Game Boy SaGas.

SaGa Frontier 2 had a great start with Gustave's storyline and that gorgeous watercolor style, but the Knights family arc wasn't quite as interesting. I remember replaying a sub-quest just so Cordelia wouldn't die, and I was disappointed when it didn't affect the game much beyond sticking her in the background of a later scene. It was more linear than SaGa Frontier, but the story didn't take advantage of that.

Raoh wrote:
How is Guilty Gear a runner up for your Game of the Year?

It's been out for a number of days. Is this to imply that you've had the game a significant amount of time to accurately judge it as a journalist?

Or are you simply throwing it in just because?

It seems like a lack of integrity, to be perfectly honest.

The Japanese version came out two weeks ago, and it pretty much has the North American version inside.

lizardking461 wrote:

Which brings me on to...
Drakengard 3, 'best game of the year'.

Why do I read this god-awful shite? At least call it your favourite game. There is no metric on which that game can be called the 'best' of anything.

Permit me to revise my opinion.

Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Oh yeah, take Keiji Inafune and Hideo Kojima

Kojima's in a league of his own. He can pretty much do whatever he wants and no one's going to question him. Inafune's views seem really outdated though, probably as a result of him being irrelevant for the last 10 years and having to use Kickstarter to do anything recently.

except make something that isn't metal gear
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
No, it really wasn't. It was a way too short point-and-click with some nice art, decent voice work, mediocre puzzles, and a gaping whole in the lack of the central game mechanic that the premise and bloody title promises. Clearly you're someone more swayed by production value and style as opposed to content

Broken Age was a big disappointment to me, though I never expected much from it given Tim Schafer's last few games have been pretty bad and the entire 3.3 million Kickstarter fiasco just seemed like trouble. I also found the art style to be really ugly and looked like a cheap Flash cartoon. I'm putting more faith in Ron Gilbert's Thimbleweed Park. It looks much closer to how the classic adventure games were, and he's the creator behind Monkey Island so I have more faith in him to get it right. Just the fact

I'm disappointed with the Williams, though. The new Kings Quest they revealed looked more like those awful Telltale 'adventure' games which aren't actually adventure games but interactive movies with QTE elements, or at least it looks like a generic action platforming game. I have zero interest in that one. It's really tragic how dead the adventure game genre is here.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I hear a lot of praise for Telltale's Walking Dead games though.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I think people mostly praise those games because they feature a black protagonist so it's seen as progressive within those communities. As far as actual gameplay is concerned, they're not really adventure games though. There's no real item collecting and puzzle solving like in the LucasArts or Sierra games from the 80s and 90s. It's mostly choosing dialog choices and a few quick time events. Telltale started out as a company trying to revive adventure games with Sam & Max which was more traditionally point and click, but I think they abandoned that in favor of the more interactive movie style of thing after Walking Dead got popular and now that's all they seem to make and what adventure games have been come to be known as in the modern gaming circles.

I haven't heard of Thimbleweed Park before and it looks interesting now that I'm looking into it. It's graphics really remind me of Zak McKracken and the interface is classic LucasArts.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
I think people praise those games because they have good writing, character development, and story telling. People also enjoy the choices and interactive story telling.

I don't know why you and other posters like to always spin and attempt to discredit people for liking something just because it's seen as "progressive". Which in the end is just a label you applied to the game, as if to make a bigger deal out of a couple reviewers noting that a game did something different. You and others like you always try to spin that anyone who likes things like that or anything else as only liking them because they are "progressive" as if thier interest in something only has an agenda behind it. You and others always do that in order to box up those views and throw them away so that yours can seem more "genuine". it's very annoying, but it's a consistent rhetoric that you and posters like you keep pushing.

It's like people can't like these "different" games without an agenda and for some reason you internalize the praise of these games over whatever it is you like as some attack on you.

It's very annoying.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:32 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

I think people mostly praise those games because they feature a black protagonist so it's seen as progressive within those communities. As far as actual gameplay is concerned, they're not really adventure games though.

Well, that wouldn't explain the almost 30 million in sales so far - nah, people hardly notice that part. The franchise already has a variety of cast, so people already take it for granted for these games. It gets praise since it's a good Walking Dead game that has the unenviable task to live up to the phenomenon (like the Attack on Titan phenomenon but bigger) - they follow it for the story and characters that they love. In that regard, it's like visual novels, but because it's released in episodes, it has the advantage of the players aggregate choices in the games are "live" / "in play" that could affect how the later not-yet-finished episodes turn out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4