• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
Haikyuu and Tokyo Ghoul's ranks are just amazing. Tokyo Ghoul was at 26 last year and now it's 4th. Can't wait to see how Shokugeki no Souma and Assassination Classroom + TG, Haikyuu, KnB will rank next year.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
One Piece and Shingeki no Kyojin are not surpirising, but there are other series that I wonder about both their appearance in the list, and other that are not on the list. Ao Haru Ride and Terra Formars being placed as high as they did, while the lack of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is odd (since, as I understood it, it sold quite nicely overall year-round, with the release of the anime raising the numbers even more)

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Well..well..well. What we have got there?

A close enough battle between One Piece and Attack on Titan, Haikyuu!! and Tokyo Ghoul came out of nowhere ranking top 5, A strong selling for sports manga, a nice boosting numbers of manga thanks to anime, Assassination Classroom performed despite its anime adaption not started yet ( and who knows how high it will get when it airs), no Hunter x Hunter in the list for the obvious reason and too bad for Bleach thought it barely keeps up.

It was really interesting best selling manga list.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Damn 10 million sales down on 2013 between One Piece and AoT alone yet year on year sales are up in the top 30 by between 6-7 million.

And the normal 1 year only rises for manga with new anime out that will drop back to irrelevancy next year.

Naruto flat year on year (down less than 50,000 units).

It's going to sad seeing Naruto at the bottom of the list next year (unless it gets an end of series boost).

Also I was right Fairy Tail is down again even with the new anime HA!.

Toriko is off the list! so much for that being Bleach's replacement (don't read it myself but has there been any hiatus's? that would be a reason rather than falling popularity).

I guess shounen battle manga really are out of vogue in Japan.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Hoozuki no Reitetsu being just outside the top 10 might surprise people who weren't fond of the anime (and its recently released OVA).

Assassination Classroom has been noted for its unusual popularity despite the relative lack of adaptation in other media, but with the anime coming out in the next quarter I'd expect it to push for the top 10 positions.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:
I wonder whether Viz is considering adding HAIKYU!! To the English WSJ, considering these figures and it still surviving in the Japanese edition. I've never read it, and sports manga is not a personal favorite (unfairly short-lived CROSS MANAGE notwithstanding), but the industry could use another hit across the Pacific.

I'm not sure; I'd like them to give Haikyuu!! a go but can't see it happening. Sports manga isn't a good seller in the US. (That said, shounen romcoms didn't seem to be good sellers either and yet Nisekoi is doing incredibly well so maybe they'll give sports another go too.)

Hopefully if the series does well in France they may consider it.... Much like you I would also be surprised if it recieved an Eglish release. I would love for it to do so and show that sports manga have a market here in the west.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not into One Piece, so I don't care if it gets dethroned, but I'd rather that dethroning not be done by Attack on Titan of all things.

That being said, I'm glad Noragami ranked. It got a really nice boost from the anime adaptation, so I'm hoping that despite the BD sales not being stellar, that might be enough to get it an S2.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Toriko is off the list! so much for that being Bleach's replacement (don't read it myself but has there been any hiatus's? that would be a reason rather than falling popularity).

Yes, Toriko was pulled off air due to weak ratings. I'm not certain what replaced it, though I think it might have been Dragon Ball Z Kai.
_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see that Tokyo Ghoul is 4th with around 7 million copies this year! it is really high for a seinen manga! I think Studio Pierrot found its new hit series after Naruto and Bleach. I can't wait for the 2nd season of anime
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ushio wrote:

Yes, Toriko was pulled off air due to weak ratings. I'm not certain what replaced it, though I think it might have been Dragon Ball Z Kai.

I'm not talking about the anime but about the manga. Toriko has been a top 30 since it's first full year even before the anime so it's absence here surprised me that's why I pointed it out.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Toriko had like 4 weeks off out of the 48 issues of this publishing year, plus 2 in the previous publishing year. Not a significant factor; same number of volumes released. More relevant is the fact that a decline in sales can be seen from volume to volume this year. See here.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ushio wrote:

You would be right, if being in the Top 10 TV ratings most of the time accounted has weak ratings, but it doesn't!

Some examples of ratings in the end of the anime(at the time of the filler ending) from far to closest to the end:
- animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-01/japan-animation-tv-ranking-december-16-22
- animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-19/japan-animation-tv-ranking-december-30-january-5
- animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-19/japan-animation-tv-ranking-january-6-12
- animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-27/japan-animation-tv-ranking-january-13-19
- animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-02/japan-animation-tv-ranking-january-20-26
- animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-16/japan-animation-tv-ranking/february-3-9
- animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-23/japanese-anime-tv-ranking/february-10-16
- animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-02/japanese-anime-tv-ranking/february-17-23
- animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-03/japan-animation-tv-ranking/march-17-23

Oh, Can't you see? Assassination Classroom in the manga Top 10 rankings in reality has bad sales! SARCASM!!!
ew121

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
One piece has slow arcs , this year was slow , that's why it's not selling a lot more than other mangas , but once they start another "marine-ford like" arc then the sells go to the clouds.

Naruto doesn't has it's last volume ranked , such a shame! it would be pretty higher if it did.

Bleach is doing super well seeing that it doesn't has an anime , IF an anime would come out the sells would sky-rocket.

Happy to see One punchman in here , if it keeps going like this it could get an anime in 1-2 years
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
No, its really because the people that joined the hype in Marineford already bought all the volumes before so they sales are drowning because not that much people bye the early volumes since they already catched up. This arc ain't slow paced at all, its damn long but it ain't slow. It is really really a damn good arc but its damn long but its really not slow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3