• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Attack on Titan Films' Eren, Mikasa, 11 Others Unveiled in Costume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yu3lora

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Actress are good. But actors are.. Rolling Eyes

Thats why I want Hollywood to adopt this.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
these things always fail because they stray too far from the source material.

Whats the point of adding new characters? Its not like theres a lack of them in the manga.
Ed.reeses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Not gonna judge from the posters but can't help but feel bad about this. The only "okay" from this cast is Kiko Mizuhara. But the cast isn't the only problem. This is actually the only time where I wished Hollywood took this in serious consideration.

Got my faith partially restored too early because the last live-action adaptation films I've seen are the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy and Gin no Saji which were really good.

A big budgeted US remake won't go wrong with the right directors. Gareth Edwards or Guillermo del Toro won't disappoint. But we'll see. Will still watch it because why not.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Budget would likely have been an issue there, admittedly (due to Japanese productions being on a much smaller scale than Hollywood) but I wonder if such a large property like "Attack On Titan" could have attracted foreign investors or collaborations?

This is where many fans would agree with you, and I'm one of them.

Ed.reeses wrote:
Not gonna judge from the posters but can't help but feel bad about this. The only "okay" from this cast is Kiko Mizuhara. But the cast isn't the only problem. This is actually the only time where I wished Hollywood took this in serious consideration.

You can count me in, too. It's great that they're going to do a live-action AoT, but no Japanese movie studio has the budget to make this look good. For some reason, they cannot do good CGI, everything either looks cheap or really bad. This is one of those rare situations where having some Hollywood investment might actually be a good thing. Too bad, I like Shinji Higuchi's work. While I haven't seen the Gamera movies, he directed some of the best episodes of Evangelion.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
MechaGolem wrote:

After all it didn't phase Hollywood filmmakers to recast the characters in either Dragonball or Speed Racer as white, or to propose the same thing for a live-action adaptation of Akira. They also ignored the implicit implication that all the characters in Avatar were Asian and again cast white actors for most of them.

Just because other people do it doesn't make it right, and, frankly, the acting was terrible from those white people. It even stood out more in Avatar since Katara and Sokka were pale white but surrounded by extras who could pass as Inuit.

MechaGolem wrote:

It also didn't appear to be a problem to cast both black and Japanese actors for roles as Norse gods

But... Hogun isn't even Aesir. Heimdall I've got no answer for.
Shinobi X

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:37 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to see Rina Takeda in action! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
Im Done. Just look at Armin...and that bazooka/rpg or whatever the hell...i'll just stick with the amazing visual anime, Japan just stop, leave it to hollywood to kick your ass yet again...smh pass. Lol EVERYONE is Asian LOL omg..!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:

Sasha trying to be Katniss there?

Just saw the newest Hunger Games movie. Katniss is bad ass. Laughing

#sukkar wrote:

You cannot possibly make the same argument for Japan, a country whose major demographic makes up more than 90% of its population.

In comparison: Japanese - 0.2% of U.S. population; including partial ancestry - 0.4% (2010 Census)

#sukkar wrote:

Quote:
I'm worried about how the Titans will look. If they don't have the budget for blond hair dye, then I worry the Titans will look like Ryuk in the "Death Note" movies.

Japan is a small country, they don't have the audience reach to be able to justify hundreds of millions of dollars on CGI, nor should they have to.

Japan is Top 3 movie market in the world.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
I don't think people really understand what they're asking for by saying they want Hollywood to direct this. There is a higher chance of this movie being more accurate to the source material with Japan than there is with America. If someone's only reasoning for wanting American producers on this is so they can be comfortable watching white people on screen, perhaps they should ask themselves what they value most in a movie. Casting an Asian lead in Dragonball Evolution or Speed Racer would have not made those movies any better.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
momopeach wrote:
After I posted here, someone sent a PM and was really angry I don't really like AoT. Wonder if I'm the only one.

If he swore a lot and kept saying, "FACT!" that person is...a known quantity around here. You'd hardly be the first.
Boneyboneboney

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
I don't think people really understand what they're asking for by saying they want Hollywood to direct this. There is a higher chance of this movie being more accurate to the source material with Japan than there is with America. If someone's only reasoning for wanting American producers on this is so they can be comfortable watching white people on screen, perhaps they should ask themselves what they value most in a movie. Casting an Asian lead in Dragonball Evolution or Speed Racer would have not made those movies any better.

You don't get the point do you? It's the fact that MAJORITY of Japanese live actions aren't high quality, they change the story, they make it more confusing, they have inaccurate actors to fit the characters. But there are decent ones, but still, they look like they're only good for "Made for television" specials. Three factors: Time, Budget, and re-using the same actors over and over for each anime to live adaption.

Time: Japanese don't spend much time in live action productions. It's only been announce about a year ago. A good visually striking movie with an amazing plot and editing take around 2-4 years in production in Hollywood.

Budget: Japanese isn't big on big screen and live action materials, most of the budget for entertainment go to music and anime production.

Re-using same actors over and over: Haruma Miura. Nuffsaid.

There's many many many amazing directors in Hollywood that would make this accurate and true to the original manga/anime, as long as they get a professional one that will not alter the original story.

It's true that people want Americans and European to work on it, because of Ethnicity, but that is highly understandable, considering most of the characters being Caucasian plays a huge, important part of the story. Also, this genre is their FORTE.

The whole giant theme, the gore, the mid-evil European vibe, and the way they can make 3D gear maneuvering look awesome. The whole anime had the Western vibe feel from the beginning.

The reason why Airbender and DBZ got screwed up, is because they are based on Asian culture, it's natural for Westerners not to get that accurate. (By the way, Indians are Asian. So Zuko's actor kinda counted, but WEEABOOS don't realize this.)

But Attack on Titan is not Asian, and there's nothing Japanese about it other than Mikasa being half and that it's made by a Japanese author.

Hollywood can make this. In fact, they SHOULD'VE been the one adapting this. As long as they have the RIGHT director. There are plenty. They also have all the resource and skill... And the BIG BUDGET. With Isayama's guide and European actors, Hollywood would've made this gold. Especially if they hired the best makeup artists and production team of Pacific Rim, Watchmen, Edge of Tomorrow, and Special effects crew for Spider-Man (for the 3DMG, of course.)

Don't generalize Hollywood for Shamalan's crap. He's only ONE director and those are only two bad movies out of tons of amazing movies they have produced in Hollywood's wide collection.

Compared to Japan, who made like 2-3 good live action adaption, then every other movie is just low quality and confusing.

I feel this Japanese live action will only be rated PG, considering the fact that Japan knows that most of the audience range from children to adult. There will be many censorship and we probably won't see any blood and gore that this anime is notorious for.

Hollywood, on the other hand, would most likely rate this MA and go all out.

Last edited by Boneyboneboney on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
Boneyboneboney wrote:
I feel this Japanese live action will only be rated PG, considering the fact that Japan knows that most of the audience range from children to adult. There will be many censorship and we probably won't see any blood and gore that this anime is notorious for.

First off, it's a shounen comic so I don't see the issue of this being marketed to children?

Second, PG isn't a rating in Japan, they operate on their own system.

Third, it sounds like you don't pay attention to Hollywood very much. There's no way they'd miss out on the marketable kid audience for something like this. Same reason Marvel and DC ensure all their movies are PG and they don't go anywhere near the levels of violence or sex the comic books do. Only certain types of movies want an R rating, and a comic book adaptation with potential to be big is not going to be one of them.

You don't seem to understand either movie industry to be honest, no offense. If you only think Japan has made 2 good adaptions then I have to ask how many you've actually seen in your lifetime. I'm an avid fan of all cinema and I find Japan makes much better manga adaptations than America does, if only because they have so many of them.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Boneyboneboney wrote:
There's many many many amazing directors in Hollywood that would make this accurate and true to the original manga/anime, as long as they get a professional one that will not alter the original story.

Such a director does not exist. This is a Japanese manga at it's core, and no amount of pointing out how much the characters are white is going to change the actual writing style or execution of the series. By it's very nature it's distinctly Japanese, and it will be altered to accommodate the mass market American audience. Hell, just look at American comic book movies which get severely altered and those are already American.

People can fault the Japanese industry for what they want, but it's still a Japanese industry. They have their own way of doing things that differs from Hollywood and that can be seen as a strength. It reminds me of the director of Parasyte who mentioned a Hollywood movie of it would be heavily altered and dumbed down. Pretty much every Hollywood adaption is to some degree. Hollywood isn't the biggest movie industry because they make spectacular films, they're the biggest because they make the most widespread appealing films, and often times that means appealing to the least common denominator so the most amount of people find your movie accessible. Sacrifices can, and will be made
Ryuhei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, so many blindly hateful drive-by comments. Surprised again by the amount of blind cynicism and vitriol in the comments on this site.
"No, thanks"
"I´ll pass"
That´s... just because of the posters?? What´s so wrong with them?

Ulinox wrote:
Yeah these live-action movies from Japan are horrendous. Last ones I saw that were barely passable was 20th Century Boys.

Ugh! Have you really seen any others? Like, you know, the latest ones, Rurouni Kenshin. Great adaptations and great movies by their own.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Boneyboneboney wrote:

The Japanese rating system is:
G: general audience
PG12: parental guidance suggested for anyone under 12
R15: no one under 15 admitted
R18: no one under 18 admitted (you have to have pretty graphic sex to get this one)

Rurouni Kenshin, which a few people have brought up here, was general audience, in spite of being bloody enough to get an R rating in America. Most films fall into general audience in Japan, though it's possible that the horror elements of AoT - including civilian and child casualties - might earn it a higher score (Battle Royale got an R15, for example, and the relatively violence-free Hunger Games got a PG12 when all its other PG-13 contemporaries were receiving G because children die in it).

EDIT: Here's the homepage of Eirin (Japanese equivalent of the MPAA). You can see how the majority of films get G here. If you can read Japanese, the Japanese language page is interesting; for example, Eirin actually lets you know who is responsible for giving ratings, unlike the MPAA, which operates in total secrecy. You can also search for films to find what rating they've received in the past, as well the reason the film received that rating.

EDIT again: some films that have received R18 this year:
Deliver Us From Evil, Nymphomaniac, Wolf of Wall Street (this last one was later edited to get an R15)
Some films that have received R15 this year:
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Oculus, Gone Girl, Tokyo Tribe, Lovelace, 300: Rise of an Empire, Old Boy
Films that have received a PG12 this year:
Foxcatcher, Birdman, Out of the Furnace, Lucy, The Equalizer, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, Her
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7