• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Key Visual For 2015 Dragon Ball Z Film Reveals Frieza

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
All hail Lord Freeza! Very Happy

But seriously though this is kinda weird. Unless they're gonna pull a Mandrian from Iron Man 3 and have his appearance be nothing more than a red herring.

But let see how things turn out. Toriyama is master of swerving people's expectations, so who knows what could happen.

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
He looks like he has the God aura.
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
During the release of Kami to Kami movie in Japan. Toriyama-sensei and Nozawa-san gave an admiration for Freeza as being the most evil villain in the whole DBZ. I had a feeling at that time that Toriyama-sensei is going to bring Freeza back. When the teaser came last months I was almost sure that the worst granted wish is going to be Freeza. Now everything is confirmed. ^^
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
It's going to be a treat to listen to Freeza's seiyuu again Very Happy
lazydude500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
2 wishes: 1 revive, 2 immortality
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
For what it was, I absolutely adored Battle of Gods. I'm not normally a sucker for nostalgia but the whole experience was just fantastic. The way it all played out really appealed to my inner 10 year old but even but even if I take that away and approach it as I am now the comedy was genuinely really funny (Like the 'hand holding' thing and drunk Bulma) and the action scenes almost made me forget that Toei produced a show as ugly and cheaply animated as Doki Doki Precure in that very same year.

That being said, this worries me and feels completely unnecessary. At very best I can only be cautiously optimistic.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
"Frieza"?

Isn't he called "Freeza"? It's a pun on Freezer.

ANN needs to change that.

I HAD originally written it like that. However, I found that the official spelling is in fact, Frieza. Of course, the name has been spelled in many many ways across the various adaptations.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
If he uses the second wish for immortality, it would just be a rehash of "Dead Zone."

Will Freeza actually be a threat in this movie? Like others have said, he went through a serious badass decay. His death at the hands of Trunks was understandable since his body was heavily damaged and covered in robotic prosthetics, so you could make the argument that Goku battered him up for Trunks. What was inexcusable was his curb-stomp battle with Gohan in "Fusion Reborn." At this point, I think even Yamcha can beat him now.
Zero Requiem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Like the concept, but I'm just worried that Frieza is gonna be too weak compared to the Z fighters.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Really, Frieza again? My excitement just dropped.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Zero Requiem wrote:
Like the concept, but I'm just worried that Frieza is gonna be too weak compared to the Z fighters.

Considering the comedy of the previous movie, I'd love it if they played that up at the start.

"OH NO, EVERYBODY! Frieza...FRIEZA is back!!"
"W-what!? That's...why that's...BAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I wonder how powerful he will be in this upcoming movie. Since his death by Trunks, every one of his "returns" have been a joke so far against the Z warriors.

IIRC none of his Post-Cyborg returns have been from Toriyama. GT and the non-BoG movies are Toei's concoctions.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I HAD originally written it like that. However, I found that the official spelling is in fact, Frieza. Of course, the name has been spelled in many many ways across the various adaptations.

For what it's worth, it's only FUNimation's English dub (well, and the packaging there-of) that spells it that way. Their own subtitles for the Japanese language track spell it "Freeza" and Viz has used "Freeza" consistently the whole time in their manga translation.

(In fact, merchandise from Bandai in North America - specifically their localization of the "Super Battle Collection" figures - used the "Freeza" spelling before FUNimation changed it in an early season-two title card.)

Various Japanese video games go back and forth. A couple times they've copied FUNimation dub spellings (not just "Frieza"), and then they'll revert back to their own romanizations/transliterations for the next game. Usually depends on the studio, game series, etc. The majority of the time, though, merchandise in Japan has also pretty much exclusively used "Freeza" as the spelling.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to hear his voice again. Freeza has one of the most fitting voices in Japanese.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
So if we combine the new DBZ film with FUNi's new speed dubbing initiative, could that mean theatrical dub release Summer 2015?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5