• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki to Attend Honorary Oscar Ceremony in L.A.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
...and did occasional whole-earth ruminations on "oo, isn't magic weird?" that we weren't really supposed to understand in the first place. (Qv. Earthsea, Ponyo)

Earthsea was directed by Goro Miyazaki. I understand that Hayao Miyazaki wanted to adapt the Earthsea books earlier, but it wasn't he who should be credited (or blamed) for how it turned out. Unless I'm underestimating some amount of informal influence he had on the production.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Earthsea was directed by Goro Miyazaki. I understand that Hayao Miyazaki wanted to adapt the Earthsea books earlier, but it wasn't he who should be credited (or blamed) for how it turned out. Unless I'm underestimating some amount of informal influence he had on the production.

I know, it was Ghibli in general, so Hayao may have had some guru influence on the story, but on the later-phase studio canon, it does fit nicely with Ponyo and Howl for nice "whimsical" but audience-baffling and utterly unexplained scenes of "Look at the strange natural things our wizard can do!" that didn't really help connect the linear story.
(As Roger Ebert complained about Howl, after the two-hour parade of Magical Weirdness, you just give up caring after a while.)
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Variety posted this nice Q&A with Miyazaki, it's quite insightful even talks a bit about Ronja the Robber's Daughter, whether Anno will truly be the future what his son will do in the future. Give it a read all, it's very insightful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3