• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco, ADK, Aniplex Establish Anime Consortium Japan Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Exclusive content may not be as big of a factor on today's 'innernets. If they can pair that with easy user interface, uniquely generated content, or ways to link anime communities with these companies, I might give it a try. It is nice that they are attempting to acknowledge international interest in the anime market, but so far, the connection to fans outside Japan does not seem completely commited. I think we are still kind of an afterthought, a way to outsource content for extra revenue increases. But maybe I am the disillusioned one. I love going to conventions, but it troubles me when I sense a slight unease or resevation to enter external markets from figureheads, industry anaylsts, or the creators themselves. Global integration and communication are still limited, even in an age of information, traditional and sometimes violatile cultural differences. That itself may never change, but the way I want to embrace anime makes me want to hold onto something that is more solid and wholehearted. I think I am disillusioned, perhaps idealistic, I guess. I am looking for more than streaming and merchandise, but a passionate reflection for the years I have poured into this hobby. I'll happily fork over the cash then.

Bandai was trying in the West for a while but then ultimately pulled out a few years ago deciding it wasn't worth it. Now they seem to be back with a mutual risk sharing model with some other big companies that I guess they've decided works better for everyone.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
The only issue I have with this is that I can see them pulling titles off of a superior service. I have no idea if this will have any impact on what shows CR gets, and it is certainly possible that their service ends up better.

CR has a massive amount of shows, and it has apps on every platform I might think of using their service with (playstation, roku, etc). If ACJ can give a competitive amount of content for a competitive price that will be just as easily available no matter what I want to use to watch it, then awesome. If ACJ does a half assed job with platform support and user friendly features and CR loses content, then I can only see that as bad for consumers of steaming anime because we will be paying more for less than we get now.

If they do it right though, having some one else competing with CR for streaming could be good. I'm guessing funimation doesn't really see a point in competing there and is mainly going for dvd/bluray sales (if they're seriously trying, their actual service is significantly worse so I guess they'd just be awful at their jobs).
GiriOni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Good, I like this. Hopefully it will become large enough to compete with Funi and CR. Cause this market needs some much needed competition, sucks for the wallet of fans, but will probably be better for the industry in the long run.

(And are people here still stuck on Funi's website? It got 1000x better about a couple of months ago, and frankly loads better than CR for me. I pay for both sites)
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
^In what way is Funi's site better? In order to keep track of what episode you are on you have to manually delete each episode from your queue after watching it. This is particularly annoying if you are watching multiple shows at a time, i.e simulcasting. Also, their videos tend to have a lot of tearing during playback and many shows don't go higher than 480p even when in HD mode. When selecting a show it doesn't go directly to the episode page, but instead lists all videos including clips and trailers in a single section of the page. It often doesn't show episode titles correctly. It doesn't sync with the mobile app. There is no console app that I could find. I heard something about one but couldn't find it through search. If I actually had the site in front of me I'm sure I could remember more issues with it. Don't even get me started on the useless mobile app. At least their video player actually works now.

And... end rant.

I apologize for all of that. I just needed to let it all out. Laughing
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess my issue is "Why should I pay for multiple services?" As is, CR carries certain anime and Funi carries others. Adding a third service, who will likely refuse to release their titles to the other two services, would mean that I would now have to subscribe for three. I don't think it's realistic to expect fans to pay for three different services.

Ideally, it would be nice if all parties could get together, keep what works, and have one service that I could pay for and legally watch every anime released that season. They could then share the combined revenue. However, as this will happen as soon as pigs fly, I'm more inclined to point out that most people will continue to do what they're already doing, and that will likely include someone perhaps paying for one service and then obtaining whatever else they want through other means. And that means lost sales simply because these companies are too stubborn to merge their efforts.
InuKen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
I personally loved Daisuki. Judging from the comments here, I'm sure many disagree with me but hey just a matter of opinions.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
So Cool Japan finally pays off?

I wouldn't put my bet on this yet, until other aspect of Japanese pop culture get globalized and marketed outside of Japan, I still remain a skeptic of Cool Japan.

But setting up a streaming service with a global audience in mind is a right step though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pangea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Sounds great as long as this over seas market is not just meant for the north america as usual.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Ideally, it would be nice if all parties could get together, keep what works, and have one service that I could pay for and legally watch every anime released that season. They could then share the combined revenue.

They'd probably have to increase the price too with more hands dipping into the cookie jar.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
2011 called. It wants its "Funico will kill Crunchyroll" angst back.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
I never had an issue with Daisuki. It was commercial free streaming of HD content. My only complaint is that I only watch anime on my consoles and they never had an app so I rarely watched their content. I hope they make an app.
pcj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
We had all of this "what if they yank all their licenses from Crunchyroll?" angst back when Daisuki was first announced, too. And they didn't.

Daisuki's player worked pretty decent for me. My main complaint with Daisuki's site is no way to keep track of what you've watched or what you intend to watch. The best you could do was bookmark a series, but that didn't let you know where you left off at.

The lack of a mobile player was slightly annoying but not a showstopper for me.
Legendzerox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Reason I will avoid it cause I assure you they will do exclusives which will give Funimation and Crunchyroll a loss of content which is wrong. They think they can just come in to steal the show from Crunchyroll and Funimation who has worked so hard for so long and replace them? No dice. I refuse to do that to two streaming services that evolved to the customers wants and needs to suit them. They want me to watch their shows legally, put them on Crunchyroll or Funimation or I will [expletive] torrent the shit out of those titles.

I am the same with with video game DD. Steam started in 2004 and now that its been successful, every [expletive] publisher wants to create their own platform which is stupid. Who the fudge wants to have to create 10 accounts just to play a certain game. I refuse to buy their product unless its on Steam.

All those bandwagon companies are doing is being vultures and swooping in and stealing profit because profit is there. No one did in 8 years ago because people laughed off the idea and now that its successful, they want their grubby hands in it.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
They should use some of that $9 million for app development. Funimation and Crunchy Roll's console apps can be pretty buggy. Funimation is also missing a bunch of platforms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2