• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Don't buy zombiepowder volume 4!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Honestly. Don't waste your money. Even if you have enjoyed the series up until now, it isn't worth the price. There are absolutely NO battles in it at all. Just pointless dialouge and allusion to future events that can't happen, because it got cancelled. It is basically five chapters about nothing and a bonus one shot. It's pointless to buy. Don't bother.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Even though I disagree with you Super Ska Master and I see where you are coming from but the lack of battles in the 4th volume doesn't take away from it. The foreshadowing actually adds more to the characters background like Gamma in particular. Plus you get to see where Kubo-sama based some of his character designs for bleach off of:

Gamma is the basis for Grimjaw see pg. 120 of Volume 4 also compare the poses of the two Gamma on Vol.1 of Zombie Powder to Grimmjaw on Vol. 24 of Bleach

Nanza is almost an exact clone of Soi Fon. Nanza is possibly where kubo got his idea for Mayuri Kurotsuchi from.

Elwood is the basis for possibly Hanataro

C.T. Smith is the basis for Aizen

Emilio is the basis for Sora(Orihimes brother)

Wolfina's elements show up in both Matsumoto and Orihime in a weird sense, but more so in Orihime by looking at pg. 50 of Volume 4 you can see a resemblance to Orihime

Richard Steadler Krisen from Bad Shield United(Zombie Powder Volume 4 pg. 138) looks almost identical to Kaien and Ichigo

I honestly wish that Zombie Powder wasn't canceled because this series seems like it has a lot of potential to become something great. But in that regards, the sad thing is that Zombie Powder will probably never get half the respect that it deserves.

Last edited by LightYagami on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:

[b]Wolfina's[\b] elements show up in both Matsumoto and Orihime in a weird sense, but more so in Orimhime by looking at pg. 50 of Volume 4 you can see a resemblance to Orihime

Actually, Emilio and Wolfina have almost the exact same character designs as Keigo and Mizuho.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
LightYagami wrote:

[b]Wolfina's[\b] elements show up in both Matsumoto and Orihime in a weird sense, but more so in Orimhime by looking at pg. 50 of Volume 4 you can see a resemblance to Orihime

Actually, Emilio and Wolfina have almost the exact same character designs as Keigo and Mizuho.

Point taken. I forgot to also mention that the witch that C.T. Smith refers to also resembles Unahana Retsu.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I think of Smith as more of a mix between Aizen and Urahara. Physically, he resembles Aizen more but his behavior and mystery reminds me more of Urahara.

And physically speaking, Wolfina is near idential in appearance to Keigo's sister.

I like the tale of the prince at the end of volume 4. For some reason I find myself reading it again and again. Kubo's quite the poet.

I pray Kubo continues it when he's done with Bleach or at least adapts a new version of it. But a Rune Master Urara or a Bad Shield United series would be nice too.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I only thought the last volume wasn't great because the whole series got canceled at the end and could have been so much better! I wanted Zombie Powder to go on much longer than it did. Shame. I guess I like Bleach enough though (though not enough to buy it. I'm a fan from afar).
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I can kind of see why it got cancelled. He didn't seem like he put a lot of thought into the character designs. They all just seemed kind of cookie cutter except for Gamma. Still, the battles in vol. 3 were cool. I wish it didn't get cancelled. But Weekly Jump is a very brutal world to work in.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
And physically speaking, Wolfina is near idential in appearance to Keigo's sister.

That would be Mizuho Smile
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
I can kind of see why it got cancelled. He didn't seem like he put a lot of thought into the character designs. They all just seemed kind of cookie cutter except for Gamma. Still, the battles in vol. 3 were cool. I wish it didn't get cancelled. But Weekly Jump is a very brutal world to work in.

What is the mailing address or e-mail address for weekly jump? I think that if weekly jump gets enough letters from fans begging them to have kubo-sama restart Zombie Powder. Then again that just might be as effective as online petitions Crying or Very sad . Now that I think about it in Japan has there been a case similar to family guy, in which a series got cancelled but brought back to life a few years later with it either being an anime series, manga, etc?
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I loved volume 4! Volume 3 was a disappointment to me, lacking in substance - but volume 4 was all about the story, and I loved the extra story in the end. I would love nothing more than Kubo to pick this one up again, but I seriously don't see him do it - once he's done with Bleach he'll probably want to do something completely different.

Kubo's characters do have a certain look to them no doubt, but I wouldn't necessarily go as far as saying one is based on another. I find much more interesting to compare personalities of his earlier characters with the new ones.

Gamma has some proto-Ichigo echos in him for sure - that kind of brooding angry hero, but his background story is nothing like Ichigo's. In fact, I could see Gamma as an older Ichigo, maybe something Ichigo could be in ten years' time.

C.T. Smith is proto-Urahara. That same kind of quirky humor, staying in the background yet on top of everything at any one time. Tough but fair, mysterious but open. Love his look and style too.

Whereas Elwood is beautifully unique - it's a real shame we didn't get to see how his character would have developed. I enjoy a shonen hero like that very much: good motivation and guts, but lacking the kind of slapstick sense of humor or single-mindedness shonen brats often suffer from. In the same way I really liked Wolfina despite her ridiculous appearance (yeah, I'm glad Kubo got that out of his system, otherwise Rukia would look like that) - she's tough and funny without trying to overcompensate too much. Generally I really like Kubo's female characters.

So to reiterate - I thoroughly disagree with Super Ska Master's OP. Volume 4 would be worth your money just for the extra story, but the interesting "conclusion" to ZP is very good too.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, I thought it was at least worth the money, and I loved all of the story points and whatnot, I just couldn't help but be bothered by the fact that it just simply felt exactly like what it is, and that is the last volume of a series that got canceled. I'm with those that want to see him continue it, or even remaster the earlier volumes or something, and I'd love to see him turn both Rune Master Urara and Bad Shield United into actual series, but yeah, he'll probably just do something new when he's done with Bleach.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
but yeah, he'll probably just do something new when he's done with Bleach.

I remember reading in an Interview that Kubo-sama had a while back and he stated that he would like to go into fashion design, which I can see him doing, which explains why he likes being a character whore. And I'll admit that I think that some of the clothing the characters in bleach wear are pretty hip looking. Point and case the newest ending song in the bleach anime and the ending sequence in Bleach: The Sealed Sword Frenzy (OAV).
Subaru19

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
but yeah, he'll probably just do something new when he's done with Bleach.

I remember reading in an Interview that Kubo-sama had a while back and he stated that he would like to go into fashion design, which I can see him doing, which explains why he likes being a character whore. And I'll admit that I think that some of the clothing the characters in bleach wear are pretty hip looking. Point and case the newest ending song in the bleach anime and the ending sequence in Bleach: The Sealed Sword Frenzy (OAV).

I've always thought he should be a fashion designer. I would wear his clothes any day. Even if they had "engrish" written all over them. Anime hyper I really love the way all his characters look. Especially in Zombie Powder. They really represent something I consider to be a specifically Japanese style. A kind of mish mash of styles that somehow form a cohesive unit.
revbrown_354

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
i dont know what needs to be done to get zombie powder back, but what ever it is as true fans we should do something, on the other hand its not really up to us its up to the author...if only there was a way to influence him directly....o well i guess all we can do now is pray to the manga gods.... (manga gods....NEAT!!!)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
revbrown_354 wrote:
on the other hand its not really up to us its up to the author...

Actually, its more the magazine and the company than the author. I doubt Zombie Powder suddenly ended just because Tite Kubo felt like it. It probably wasn't doing very well in the reader survey cards and got canned as a result.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2