• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Samurai Troopers, Bokurano, Comic Party, 3rd Lupin III TV Special

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
Yes! One of my favorite Lupin III specials got licensed! I think there's a pretty high chance of them getting the 1992 special too, which is also one of my favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
Awesome, will definitely pick Bokurano up.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
Bokurano on DVD?! Awesome!!! I am SO buying it!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
Boys, eh? I mean, Bokurano, eh?

Discotek continues to be best anime licensor.

I’ve had Bokurano on my list of ‘manga to buy’ for a while and my eye has been on the anime too, so I’m glad that I’ll have a chance to own it. That there are differences to distinguish them from one another makes me more interesting; different interpretations being distinct makes things more interesting and worth spending time on. I just hope not too much of that distinctness is, shall I say, ‘Gonzo-style’.

I sometimes forget about Ronin Warriors, although I do faintly remember it when reminded of those far gone early mornings. Yoroiden Samurai Troopers isn’t for me, but I still think it’s cool that they’ve licensed it and that they might do the same for Ronin Warriors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
E-Master: If they bring the '92 one over, they'll have to change the title, 'cus MGM's sue-happy enough over Bond parodies.
I am aware of that, and if changing the title is all it takes to get it released in the US, then I'm fine with it.
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
More and more every day, Discotek is turning into the Shout! factory of the Anime world. I love these guys!

Mmmmmm. . . lupin!
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I had given up all hope of seeing Ronin Warriors again.

What were those issues with the dub though? I understand the 2002 DVD release was a two-side DVD deal, but were the sub and dub that different? I understand the American TV broadcast was probably censored to a degree. Maybe that exact same version ended up on the DVD?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

What were those issues with the dub though? I understand the 2002 DVD release was a two-side DVD deal, but were the sub and dub that different? I understand the American TV broadcast was probably censored to a degree. Maybe that exact same version ended up on the DVD?

Well, the English dub changes a lot of the names. Obviously, the name of the show (though "Ronin Warriors" is pretty much "Samurai Troopers" anyway, since a ronin is a masterless samurai and a warrior and a "trooper" are both fighting people). And many character names. And as you might imagine, the English dub isn't particularly great in terms of voice acting (though better than most of its contemporaries).

I think the differences that caused it to have two different releases are the opening and closing credits. I don't think much was edited in terms of in-episode video content. The show is fairly bloodless to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
So the Samurai Troopers sounds familiar - and it looks very 80's , which should be right up my alley - but for the life of me, I cant ever recall seeing it. How is it? Any good?
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:

Well, the English dub changes a lot of the names. Obviously, the name of the show (though "Ronin Warriors" is pretty much "Samurai Troopers" anyway, since a ronin is a masterless samurai and a warrior and a "trooper" are both fighting people). And many character names. And as you might imagine, the English dub isn't particularly great in terms of voice acting (though better than most of its contemporaries).

I think the differences that caused it to have two different releases are the opening and closing credits. I don't think much was edited in terms of in-episode video content. The show is fairly bloodless to begin with.

Didn't they also turn one dude's super form into a different character for the US release because they thought kids wouldn't understand that one guy can have two toys?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ah, you're referring to "Huriel", or Ryo in his Kikoutei/Inferno Armor, the white armor Ryo of Wildfire gets when the power of the others' armors are combined with his. They invented the whole "Huriel" thing just for RW to sell a separate toy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's too bad Discotek didn't do the double-sided disc thing with YST/RW, but it's been said that Bandai Ent's release was pretty fragile because of that. I know I have a few scratches on mine that make it skip a tad here and there. Maybe I'll look into grabbing the YST set.

YST/RW is essentially the show that started my anime fandom lo those many years ago (when it was in syndication, well before it was ever on CN), so this is pretty neat.

I definitely know that bandai released an english dub only version of ronin warriors which was the edited CN version then afterwards released it as Samurai Troopers with and enlgish sub version,though i dont know if that one that bandai released had an uncut version.

if however there is only the CN version ,then its no wonder disotek didn't use it. it wont make sense having an a dvd release with an uncut japaneese version with an kid friendly edited english dub version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
Well, actually, the RW boxset had double-sided DVDs that on one side had Ronin Warriors (dub only) and the other side Samurai Troopers (sub only). At least, that's the version of the set I have.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers... You're awesome, Discotek. This will be the first time the OAVs are in English, right? The OAVs are actually pretty good. Weird, but good weird.
MIBlackburn_d6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
E-Master: If they bring the '92 one over, they'll have to change the title, 'cus MGM's sue-happy enough over Bond parodies.

If they do, they'll probably have to use the official English title: Bank of Liberty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3