• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Things You Didn't Know About Studio Ghibli

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Msag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the list!!! Not only was it wonderfully informative, but timely too. I loved reading all those factoids, especially the long-term friendship and the worm.
Voting for the poll... its nice that we get to add our own choices, but there were already so many ways to go. I went with Inuyasha+Kagome (my OTP from way back), but I like the pairings in Skip Beat, Baccano!, Lovely Complex, Case Closed, Kimi ni Todoke and Howl's Moving Castle too.

About the animators being treated well, I've also heard quite a bit from here in the forums about how pressurizing it is to work under Miyazaki... I guess its nice to know they've got SOME perks?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Hey you! Don't tell me what I do or don't know about Studio Ghibli! I knew most of these, but that's just because I watch their movies and read about them WAY too much.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Is it me, or are Isaac and Miria listed twice in the new poll?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I chose Roger and Dorothy, though I really should have picked Usagi and Mamoru. XD
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki always looks like he's only humoring John Lasseter when I see them. He looks really uncomfortable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
For couples, NatsuLucy and LelouchKallen.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Fact 2 is good to know. Ghibli you were one of the best. Never forget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Haruka Tenho x Michiru Kaioh all the way for the latest poll. I might still be just a touch bitter that they eliminated so early in the Best Duos tournament a few years ago.

Also, I'm happy to see BioWare ended up so high on the previous poll, since I had to write it in when I voted. Though I am sorry to see TellTale, my second favourite company, didn't make the cut.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I knew most of the Ghibli trivia except for 1, the hand drawn water. I remember when I saw the film that is what stood out to me the most. Glad my choice (Nintendo) won last weeks poll.

As for this week, boy that is a huge list of couples. I find a few amusing (SasukexNaruto, ShizuoxIzaya, and MadokaxHomura? shipping at its finest), but its hard to choose. Kraft and Holo, Issac and Miria, Sakura and Syaoran, Yuta and Rikka, even the No Game and Yu-Gi-Oh ones. That said, I went with Okabe and Kurisu from Steins;Gate. Two of my favorite anime characters.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
There were a lot of couples on there I liked, but I think my absolute favorite on there is RentonxEureka. Though my love for AmericaxEngland is a very close second.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:54 am Reply with quote
I don't think there is a single person who doesn't know about Lassister. He is literally on every Disney released Ghibli movie intro, talking about his good friend Miyazaki. Every single one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Is it me, or are Isaac and Miria listed twice in the new poll?

Indeed they are. Adding their surnames probably prevented them from being flagged as duplicates.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Couple?

Ryūji Takasu x Taiga Aisaka

Ryuji is a cool cat that can cook, clean, has a killer look and has a bunch of hot girls after him...I'm envious...

And Taiga....any female that screams at the top of her lungs that I was her's, so get away from me....well....DAMN!

Put these two together and there's molten lava of love. A sequel is needed!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2. The Animators are Treated Really Well It's a well-known fact that being an animator in Japan means long hours and very little pay. Ghibli decided to buck the trend by offering perks to its staff. Every Saturday, massage therapists come in to give weary workers a break. There's a community lunchroom with food drinks so staffers can mingle. The studio also seems to be fans of equal opportunity hiring: the male to female ratio at the studio is nearly 50/50.
I get the feeling that's about to change, and not for the better. Wink
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
If working for Miyazaki's as much stress as some say it is, then the perks are probably the only way they can keep anybody good.

For the poll, MADOHOMU!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3