• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I dunno. I think Mado is scarier than the ghouls are.

How did they convince Hide that he was in an accident along with the stealth college-guy sempai ghoul?

I think they made it rather clear that he knows about what happened. He's simply feigning ignorance. He's one of those characters who know how to handle these situations by pretending to be dumb.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm still on the fence about this show. The MC is such an extreme character, it is hard to feel any kind of positive emotion for him. We spend so much time seeing him totally freaking out, throwing up, huge amounts of drool coming out of his mouth, and saying "niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I mean, sure there is some decent action and the bloody mess going on has some decent tension to it, but the overall quality of everything seems like it's all "meh." (e.g. some of the battle scenes are drawn in such a manner where we can't see everything happening. I am assuming that that is partially a cost-saving technique.) I might continue watching, but might get bored with it. It's hard for me to stay with a show when I have such ambivalence about the MC.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the scene with Kaneki and Hinami. It was really sweet, and I think it's good that Kaneki is getting to experience at least some good things in his new life as a ghoul.

So those two guys from the end of last episode are spoiler[part of some sort of anti-ghoul organization.] The elder of the two is rather creepy himself.

Uta, the mask guy, seems interesting. I wonder if he'll have any role in the story beyond spoiler[making a mask for Kaneki.]

Looking forward to seeing what's going to happen now that spoiler[yet another ghoul seems to have shown up.]
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

So, are we supposed to be interested in the MC's interactions with the spoiler[ephebe ghoul? Cause I'm not. At all.]

Blue-hair continues to be too tsun, not enough dere, to make her interesting. I'm sure its all spoiler[awesome and amazing that she like amazingly tries to fit in and not hide away. Is this supposed to be some sort of social commentary? Is she our token gay person? I'm not sure how doing what normal people would do and living an every day life is at all gripping.]

I don't know about anyone else but spoiler[watching the MC puke] every episode has become stale.

I guess the TL;DR version of this post would be:

How did my socially acceptable, people eating people anime get so boring? Ugh.

This show is on a collision course with Terribleville and the conductor is shoveling more coal into the boiler.
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I'm still on the fence about this show. The MC is such an extreme character, it is hard to feel any kind of positive emotion for him. We spend so much time seeing him totally freaking out, throwing up, huge amounts of drool coming out of his mouth, and saying "niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku niku!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I mean, sure there is some decent action and the bloody mess going on has some decent tension to it, but the overall quality of everything seems like it's all "meh." (e.g. some of the battle scenes are drawn in such a manner where we can't see everything happening. I am assuming that that is partially a cost-saving technique.) I might continue watching, but might get bored with it. It's hard for me to stay with a show when I have such ambivalence about the MC.

It'll get better. By the end of the season he'll become one of the most memorable anime MCs in recent times and he practically carries the series by himself. Well... you'll see.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I dunno. I think Mado is scarier than the ghouls are.

How did they convince Hide that he was in an accident along with the stealth college-guy sempai ghoul?

Because Hide was knocked out cold throughout the whole fight so he wouldn't remember thing. It's easy to falsify a story to him with that. Now whether he heard the conversation between Kenaki and the manager is another story.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I'm still on the fence about this show. The MC is such an extreme character, it is hard to feel any kind of positive emotion for him. We spend so much time seeing him totally freaking out, throwing up, huge amounts of drool coming out of his mouth, and saying "nikuxwhatever .

Dude chill. It was only one scene and that was when the manager teaching him how to fake eating habits. It makes completely sense context given what we know about ghouls. Besides Kaneki looks like he's been trying his best to fit into his new life without issue.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[The guy in the red suit - Tsukiyama.
Don't like him. He looks like trouble.
And he got his eye on Kaneki.
He's good at playing nice.
Doubt that he is good.
Touka is pretty good at fake eating.
More new characters, nice.
The talk at the bar was very interesting.
Kaneki fell right into Tsukiyama's trap ^^"
That kid is just too naive..]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

spoiler[Gourmet] is awesome. He brings style to the show.

The episode was okay but the censoring ruins it a bit again. spoiler[Kaneki got more badass when he took on that giant. Also, we meet Itori this episode. I find her personality to be pretty chill so far although I don't trust her.]

Looks like they skipped an arc so I wonder if they will return to it in the future.. or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Mamo is so freaky as Tsukiyama. From hearing him as Rin the day before and then as Tsukiyama, just wow. Reminds me why I love seiyuu.

Last edited by crosswithyou on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Woooow, that Tsukiyama guy...this whole episode was basically to show how creepy he is, huh? In fact I think I might have been more freaked out by him than anything else in the show so far. Him and his bizarre, um...could you call that a spoiler[dinner theater], I guess?

Onto non-Tsukiyama things, Kaneki looks nice in a tuxedo. Both the scene at the bar and the small part showing Touka at school were interesting. And spoiler[Kaneki's fight with the giant guy was pretty cool, even if it was mostly him dodging.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
This ep was very exciting and creepy. I liked it even though I thought creepy guy was overplayed. That last scene was gripping spoiler[ I actually felt a bit bad for Taro! And I was totally rooting for Kaneki to kill Gourmet, but it ended in a cliffhanger. Ugh!

So what was the rule for Ghoul/Human relationships? I thought she said that if they have sex they die...maybe she meant that the human partner ends up eaten? In any case, pregnancy is rare, but possible, so there may be other half ghouls out there. Chekov's gun says Kaneki should meet one by the end of the show. That'd be neat!]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
spoiler[Gourmet] is awesome. He brings style to the show.

Totally unhinged and so over the top that you can't even see the top anymore. I love it.

You would think one of Kaneki's friends would have clued him in on what they guy was all about. They should know that if you say to a MC something like "stay away from him" anything but is going to happen. Anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

He could have listened to the warnings, but it was either trust the girl who has been quite harsh, or the guy who seems to get him and shows interest. I am actually kind of reminded of a part from the manga of Rosario Vampire where spoiler[Tsukune (a character who kind of has relevance to this show's themes) kind of falls for the charms of a guy who looks classy but is actually a bit of a creep].

It was a fun episode.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Ugh, this episode marks the first significant changes in the adaptation so far. Nevermind leaving out most of world-buliding, the modifications ended up effecting Kaneki's characterization and development for the worst by doing this rearrangement. Because of it a bunch scenes in this episode felt disjointed and inconsistent. The worst was making Kaneki look like an complete idiot for not seeing such an obvious trap unlike in the manga. Not to mention changes to the restaurant scene and fight were pointless. Meh

It's made more disappointing for me personally because I was pretty pleased with anime up until now. Perhaps anime viewers may not have problem with it since they are ignorant of the source, but for others like me... well it was painful even under the best circumstances. =(
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The gourmet guy is essentially Hisoka (HxH) with less self-control. I do think certain parts where he was going crazy over Kaneki were kind of funny, but the guy seems like such a one-note character. This is a stark contrast with Hisoka, who has so many layers to him. I feel like I'll get bored of Mr. Gourmet pretty quick, though overall the episode wasn't bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15