• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill Episodes 13-24 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:
Wow. Looks like Aniplex has decided commit suicide by completely alienating its USA audience. I can't imagine very many people tolerating that kind of pricing policy.

No, they're not completely alienating their audience, which you'd notice if you'd take a look back through previous AoA threads and saw their haters and fans. While I'm not at all interested in the DVDs that come with it (as with Madoka, etc), I'm buying the LE Blu-ray/DVD sets, and I've ordered the first set from Animate. I thought hard about importing the Blu-rays from Japan, but I didn't like it quite that much. Aniplex's non-MSRP US price is perfect.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

No, they're not completely alienating their audience, which you'd notice if you'd take a look back through previous AoA threads and saw their haters and fans. While I'm not at all interested in the DVDs that come with it (as with Madoka, etc), I'm buying the LE Blu-ray/DVD sets, and I've ordered the first set from Animate. I thought hard about importing the Blu-rays from Japan, but I didn't like it quite that much. Aniplex's non-MSRP US price is perfect.

If you have the money and want to spend it that way, go right ahead. I'll wait for the used copies to show up on the Amazon Marketplace.

But aren't the Japanese Blu-Rays even more expensive than the Aniplex pricing? Last time I looked for a rare out-of-print anime, I was amazed at how high the prices were for the media in Japan.

I know it's been an issue for Japanese Anime producers who release titles in the USA, because Japanese customers will import the titles from the USA to get the lower prices, rather than buy them from the Japanese distributers.

Then again, as I said in the original post, I've been out of circulation for a while. In fact I too bought the entire Madoka series (I might be short one or two of the movies - I'll have to check) but I don't remember paying outrageous prices for them - certainly nothing like the total price of all episodes of Kill La Kill.

There is also some degree of risk in investing in expensive titles like Kill La Kill, By releasing the series 4 episodes at a time with high pricing, sales may suffer to the point where Aniplex will cancel releases of remaining episodes.

In addition to waiting for lower Amazon Marketplace pricing, it might be a good idea to wait and see if the entire series is actually released before investing in it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:
In fact I too bought the entire Madoka series (I might be short one or two of the movies - I'll have to check) but I don't remember paying outrageous prices for them - certainly nothing like the total price of all episodes of Kill La Kill.

Blu-ray releases of Madoka at RightStuf are $40 for four episodes, marked down from an MSRP of $50. Same $10/episode price as Kill la Kill, but with only twelve episodes rather than twenty-four, Madoka might have seemed more affordable.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:

In addition to waiting for lower Amazon Marketplace pricing, it might be a good idea to wait and see if the entire series is actually released before investing in it.

As with Madoka Magica, Fate Zero, and SAO, it is extremely unlikely that Kill la Kill will not get a full release.

If you are not buying Kill la Kill, it won't be for the fear of an incomplete release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10