• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Chaika The Coffin Princess, 7 Summer Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Aright that is Great, While the second season of Log Horizon airs, i can also re-watch the first season with an English dub too. I just hope they didn't add a lot of the same voice actors, voicing different characters, considering the amount of characters there are in the story and more are coming in the later seasons phew, Sentai has got it's Dub crew work cut out for.

I'm assuming by "Collection 1", they mean episodes 1-13, not the full first season.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Then maybe Sentai is stepping up their game?

Haha jk

Akame ga Kill though... *sob* it's White Fox and the TV character designer of Jormungand. I really thought FUNi was going to snatch this up... FUNi...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Mostly people whining in this thread. It's nice to not really be bothered by what is and is not licensed by X or Y. Yeah, Akame did seem like more of a Funi show, but hey... they can't have them all.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
Aright that is Great, While the second season of Log Horizon airs, i can also re-watch the first season with an English dub too. I just hope they didn't add a lot of the same voice actors, voicing different characters, considering the amount of characters there are in the story and more are coming in the later seasons phew, Sentai has got it's Dub crew work cut out for.

I'm assuming by "Collection 1", they mean episodes 1-13, not the full first season.

Yeah it is, Sentai always releases there 2 cour shows into 2 different collections first, than they release them as complete sets afterwords.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Either Monica Rial or Hillary Haag as the voice of Chaika. Calling it now.

Happy but a little upset for the pickup of Akame ga Kill. As a longtime reader of the manga, I've had a specific cast lineup for their english voice actors. Aaron Dismuke for Tatsumi, Stephanie Young as Esdethe, Clarine Harp as Leone, Christopher Sabat as Bulat, Laura Bailey for Mine, Luci Christian as Kurome...

Admittedly, it's a little outdated. But the worst part is I'll never get to hear Brina Palencia grace her presence as Akame. Damn.

Oh well. Maybe Jessica Calvello will be in it somehow. God it's great to have her back and in form again.

As for the studio doing this work, White Fox, I'm still a bit iffy. On one side of the fence, they're responsible for Steins;Gate and The Devil is a Part-Timer; but on the other, they did Super Sonico and that loli shit about rabbits. Hoo boy.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Dessa: wow, sounds like Sentai is finally getting into the Limited Edition game. And the AoA-ization of the R1 distrib industry increases.

I kid I kid, but i'm happy to see Sentai Filmworks entering the playing field for collectors. If they deliver quality i'll be sure to support their efforts. I'll be genuinely surprised if they're actually able to do so though, given their track record...

I'm a bit suprised that they got Glasslip, but i'm happy that neither Sentai or Funimation have said anything about Barakamon yet as I really want NISA to license it.
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
What else they announced were Box Sets.

*High School of the Dead: 12 episodes, OAV, and "a bunch of other goodies"
*Love Chuunibyou and Other Delusions: numbered limited edition box set "loaded with fun extras, goodies and much more"
*Beyond the Boundary: "Super limited deluxe edition filled with awesome extras and more"

November 2014 releases:
--High School of the Dead
--Stella Class C3
--Tari Tari
--Natsuyuki Rendevous
(3 of these are on BD for the first time)
--Noucome (My Mental choices are completely interfering with my school romantic comedy)
--Yusibu (I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job)
--Log Horizon Collection 1: Includes a dub

That was all I saw other than their Summer 2014 gets and Chaika.

Source

Interested to see what those LE's are like. I wonder where they'll be price-wise.

If that's their November release slate, I'm hoping they can get Outbreak Company and Non Non Biyori out in December.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

I really hope not. I don't mind Hillary Haag, but Monica Rial doesn't typically work well in those kind of roles... I assume that Brittany Karbowski will play Fredrica.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

I really hope not. I don't mind Hillary Haag, but Monica Rial doesn't typically work well in those kind of roles... I assume that Brittany Karbowski will play Fredrica.

Funny, I feel the same way, much prefer her more mature range. Yet I still imagine your avatar voiced by her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
@ South Pacific - it finally happened: I laughed with one of your posts instead of at it. That pic is perfect. Wink

I'm all in favour of distribs offering LEs IF they also offer market price non-LEs of that title, too. Then everybody wins.

My beef with AoA is that 1) sometimes they don't offer a cheaper, bare bones version of a title and 2) even when they do, the "bare bones version" is still inevitably more expensive than market price. But at least it's a step in the right direction.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I was really hoping Funimation would've picked up Akame ga Kill and Chaika. Now we're guaranteed a crappy dub for both.
Youre implying Funimation doesn't have crappy dubs. They do. Best example is still how Misaka Mikoto's VA doesn't pronounce her character's name properly. Ruins the entire dub for me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Like others here, I am glad that someone finally picked up Chaika, but I am also a bit concerned with the quality of a potential dub.

Overall I am very impressed with what SSentai picked up from Summer 2014.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Youre implying Funimation doesn't have crappy dubs. They do. Best example is still how Misaka Mikoto's VA doesn't pronounce her character's name properly. Ruins the entire dub for me.

Funimation clearly has an A-team and a B-team that work on their dubs, and Index and Railgun were both definitely done by the B-team. But even the B-team dubs sound better than the fan-dub quality that Sentai puts out with their dubs.

I mean, as annoying as it is that they mispronounce Misaka's name and she sounds like a freaking chain smoker in the dub, it at least comes off as feeling like some effort was put into the overall execution of it. You don't get that with Sentai.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Funimation clearly has an A-team and a B-team that work on their dubs, and Index and Railgun were both definitely done by the B-team. But even the B-team dubs sound better than the fan-dub quality that Sentai puts out with their dubs.

Don't forget Future Diary (too many damned Americanized slang). And, to an extent, Binbougami Ga! (the voices were good, the translation poor).
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Jerry Jewell now occupies the directors seat for Railgun S, and personally, I think he's improved a bit over what Zach Bolton started
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5