• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Digimon 15th Anniversary Goods Include Replica Jacket and More

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The original Digimon Adventure series was directed by Mamoru Hosoda, the creative mind behind other films such as Wolf Children, Summer Wars, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Well, only one episode and then the first two movies. He didn't do the entire show, though.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha beat me to it, but they're correct - Hosoda's involvement with the first series of Digimon was only in episode 21, and then both of the Adventure movies. His influence can be felt really strongly in the second film, 'Our War Game', since that more or less serves as a prototype for what Summer Wars would later become. I've always wanted to know too if he had the idea for SW all the way back then and could only tell the story through something like Digimon (since he hadn't fully established himself at the time), or if doing 'Our War Game' sparked the idea in him to begin with.

I'd also love to see Hosoda do something for Digimon once again, but I doubt we'll ever be that lucky.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Beelzemon is my favorite Digimon. I must have that shirt.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Give me Taichi's goggles and you'll have my money.

I guess they are waiting for the 20th anniversary to remake the 1st season and then retcon the 2nd season for a more favorable ending....spoiler[Tai ends up with Sora. Because we all know it was leading up to that from the beginning, and then they just put Matt in it out of nowhere.]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Beelzemon? Seriously? He's easily one of the least interesting Digimon in the series.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Give me Taichi's goggles and you'll have my money.

I guess they are waiting for the 20th anniversary to remake the 1st season and then retcon the 2nd season for a more favorable ending....spoiler[Tai ends up with Sora. Because we all know it was leading up to that from the beginning, and then they just put Matt in it out of nowhere.]

Kinda shocking that some fans are still upset over that pairing.spoiler[ I thought the idea of Tai not getting Sora was interesting since I saw those two as friends, but the way they handled relationships made it look forced and clunky. ] But then again, a part of me is still upset of 02's story line (especially the ending) and the characters, since it was a huge mess and the fact they abandoned the Dark Ocean Arc. But maybe its possible for a revive and it might be a good time.

Last edited by PipingHotTea on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
PipingHotTea wrote:
Kinda shocking that some fans are still upset over that pairing.

The people who complain about that are people who've probably only seen the dub. In the original Taichi never had feelings for Sora. It was all the dub writers who tried to push them together.
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Amusingly, Beelzebumon isn't even in Adventure (which is what's celebrating the 15th, not the franchise). Waiting two years for Tamers' might be more suitable, but I'm sure Bandai doesn't want to pass up the chance for more money.

Adding to what's been above said about the direction regarding Digimon, the name of the actual director (for Adventure and its sequel, at least) is Hiroyuki Kakudou.

Addressing the questions above said about any possible reboots, given various circumstances regarding Digimon's production I'm pretty sure the Adventure PSP game released for the franchise anniversary is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a reboot. It would be around time for a completely new series, though.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
PipingHotTea wrote:
Kinda shocking that some fans are still upset over that pairing.

The people who complain about that are people who've probably only seen the dub. In the original Taichi never had feelings for Sora. It was all the dub writers who tried to push them together.

Weird I only saw the dub and I only thought of those two as buddies nothing more. That and Sora's personality didn't seem to click with Tai.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
There's definitely still hints of Tai and Sora in the original Japanese version, though it is admittedly not quite as strongly hinted as it is in the dub. It was the Joe/Mimi thing that the dub created wholesale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Glad I wasn't the only one who hated that 02 ending! I'd love a remake with a new story but 01 cast.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't really see the point in remaking what was already an original story, especially if you're "end goal" is to "fix" the ending of the sequel series, 100 episodes down the line. :/

I'm totally not against revisiting these characters in some sort of special or movie, though. Digimon is due for a movie. The last one was eight years ago, holy crap. Maybe if the re:Digitize games were movies, they'd be brought over here.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I've always wanted to know too if he had the idea for SW all the way back then and could only tell the story through something like Digimon (since he hadn't fully established himself at the time), or if doing 'Our War Game' sparked the idea in him to begin with.

I always just assumed that it was a story he had in mind but was commissioned to work on Digimon (since he didn't have his big movies come out till later) but you do have a point.

Honestly, I think I prefer Our War Game to Summer Wars. My love of Digimon, plus that amazing soundtrack. I'd say it's my favorite non-Ghibli anime movie. I've seen it a million times, and it's one that needs to be seen without that dub... music :/ (I'm still tapping my foot with New Video Group for uncut sets!)
newudam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Beelzemon? Seriously? He's easily one of the least interesting Digimon in the series.

you high right? to everyone their opinion but to call him least interesting tell onething about him that dont scream badass and I give you a cookie

belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
newudam wrote:
you high right? to everyone their opinion but to call him least interesting tell onething about him that don't scream badass and I give you a cookie

Just because I'm not worshipping him on an altar like you are doesn't mean I'm high (sounds like you're the high one for getting upset over my dislike of a fictional character and a poorly thought out one at that). And there's nothing badass about a gun-toting biker demon. That's so generically trying too hard to be dark that it's just lame and forced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2