• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do not anime be aired in the U.S alongside Japan?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Big Bang

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
This question have been on mine mind for a while. Can someone explained to me why anime is not aired in the U.S. alongside Japan. I am not saying all anime series have to do. But its would be nice to not to have to waited untill a series get licence and eventually dub. Cmon,its takes almost 3+ years if not more for a series to get licence and eventually dubbed. I know that Japan have way to different of a timezone than the U.S. for anime to be aired at the same exact time. But at least me a bone and have anime at least aired in the U.S,a week or so after its premire in Japan. I see a lot of advantages if anime went to this format. For one there would be no need for fansubs. And therefore people who make anime will make more money. Also,there would more money to make more series. Then prices for anime's DVDs would be more cheaper. Maybe this is a fan's pipe dream but I do see any disadvantages if anime went to this format. I seen movies premire worldwide on the same day and I think anime can do the same thing.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
There is no 'need' for fansubs, only a 'want.'

Anime is almost always, naturally, produced specifically for the Japanese market. It's not being created for you (in the U.S.) or me (in Canada). The creators of anime don't really have anything to gain by trying to get their shows to us any sooner than they do already.

That said, a lot of shows cross over more quickly than the three-plus years you cite. And yes, dubbing and subtitling both take time; they're not part of the original production process at all. They're an afterthought.

Movies that premiere worldwide on the same day (or thereabouts) are produced with a global audience in mind, e.g. Spider-Man 3, which cost hundreds of millions of dollars to produce, and so is very much dependent on not only the U.S. box office, but also foreign territories' revenues.

Anime is pretty much never produced that way. And that's good, because it prevents creators from feeling they need to pander to foreign (i.e. non-Japanese) audiences.

In other words, the disadvantage if anime went to the model you describe--and I consider this a HUGE disadvantage--is it would inevitably be watered down, losing much of its 'Japanese-ness' in the interests of catering to the cultural idioms of mass audiences around the world.

No thanks!

But that's just my take on it ....
jetz

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
We have the same problem here, and we're much closer to Japan too. I don't mind waiting for a series to show in the Philippines though. I have other ways to watch anime, I usually buy DVDs (there are stores here that sell imported anime DVDs), we get Japanese channels (such as WOWOW, NHK, etc) and I can watch fansubs if I wanted to.

Anyway, another reason I don't mind getting late releases is that it keeps people like me (people who watch more and newer anime than those who stick to watching anime on local TV) ahead of everyone else. People like me are on top of the food chain, and we all like it that way. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

Anime is almost always, naturally, produced specifically for the Japanese market. It's not being created for you (in the U.S.) or me (in Canada).

That's another reason why anime isn't shown in the US alongside Japan. Basically, would you want your local tv channel to broadcast a tv show that you never heard of from a foriegn country instead of broadcasting shows you might watch such as 24? Probably not, just like TheVok stated, that's what fansubs are for. Smile [/b]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The Big Bang wrote:
Then prices for anime's DVDs would be more cheaper. Maybe this is a fan's pipe dream but I do see any disadvantages if anime went to this format.

Anime DVD wouldn't be cheaper, seeing as how the Japanese Charge twice as much for half the number of episodes. Don't forget Japanese animation companies are making their profit off the license, so there generally trying to wait and see if they can get the best offer from a licensor.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The Big Bang wrote:
Can someone explained to me why anime is not aired in the U.S. alongside Japan.

I think the dubbing companies who hold pre-licenses or can license a show very quickly should do more of what Viz is currently doing for Death Note.

Release sub-only pay-per-episode downloadable releases like Viz is doing for DN, only start sooner. I think it would cut down on the number of fansub downloaders.
calawain

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
If they could do more shows like they are doing Death Note, but earlier, I think that would cut down significantly on the number of people downloading fansubs. However, I don't think they would make that much money from it, the American anime audience is fairly small and some would still rather not pay for it. Plus only the really successful anime shows have a chance at doing well on American television, you can't always tell something is going to be a big hit right from the beginning.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
However, I don't think they would make that much money from it, the American anime audience is fairly small and some would still rather not pay for it.

I think what they could do in that case is do this first while the series is still airing in Japan and then still release the DVDs, at the normal time they would've done so.
calawain

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't take that much effort to put up episodes to download, so yeah I think it would be a good idea, but I don't think they would make much money off it ;x

Plus it may cut down on eventual DVD sales, where they can make more money than 2 bucks an episode.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Vok: Way to nitpick. Especially since in the context of what he said, "want" wouldnt make any sense.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head though. Anime is produced for Japan. Then later, if companies here think it would sell, they licence it. There isnt anything to gain for the original producers, since they will probly get the same amount for licencing but the companies here could gain. It would make Fansubs obsolete. (with the exception of shows that are too obscure to ever be licenced) I diferenciate here between Fansubs and illegal downloads or bootlegs here ofcourse. Those would still be as common as ever. Still, at least here they would avoid having alot of people have already seen the Anime from fansubs by the time it gets released.

This is all an interesting topic because as Anime becomes more and more popular here, the more incentive increases for the producers to consider foreign audiences. maybe some time in the future we will see Japan producing Anime for immediate distribution in both Japan and other regions. Also, it could result in more Anime style animation produced by other contries. There are quite a few people out there who dont even really know that Anime must be from japan. We might just see alot of Anime style produced locally for them and some true Anime imported from Japan where it was produced for Japan just as it is now.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
However, I don't think they would make that much money from it, the American anime audience is fairly small and some would still rather not pay for it. Plus only the really successful anime shows have a chance at doing well on American television, you can't always tell something is going to be a big hit right from the beginning.

I think The Big Bang was probably refering to stations like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and the handful of other cable/direct TV channels that have already shown themselves receptive to anime. As far as success guarantees, there's no such thing even for usual television fare. You can only get a very small and perhaps not very accurate idea from test audiences about how any given series or movie might do. An anime does probably have to do fairly well in Japan before exporting is even considered insofar as that from what I understand, a series has to make enough money to pay for the subs and/or dubs in the first place. Then the producers have to hope that the product actually moves overseas.

Another thing to consider is that what is popular in Japan is not necessarily what is going to be popular here, and vice versa. For instance, from what I've read, Cowboy Bebop is well regarded here but actually got a less-than-overwhelming reception in Japan itself. You don't always get a situation like Fullmetal Alchemist where the anime is apparently popular in both Japan and English-speaking countries.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
I was at an industry panel hosted by one of the co-founders of ADV at Anime North yesterday and he touched on this. Apparently, a lot of the times what is released on TV in Japan is not actually entirely finished, since apparently the Japanese are notorious for being late. Thus, often they touch-up on episodes before releasing them on DVD. This means that until the DVDs are produced in Japan, there is no final product for another studio to sub/dub, thus pretty much they always have to wait until the DVDs are out. Also, apparently there is a preference by the Japanese companies to wait until a series is completely out in Japan, in order to not have competition between the Japanese DVDs and those released elsewhere.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Vok: Way to nitpick. Especially since in the context of what he said, "want" wouldnt make any sense.

It wasn't a nitpick. It was an argument against what the post'er was saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1