• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ouran High School Host Culb, any good?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
I was thinking about picking up Ouran High School Host Club, bandI Was wondering if it is any good?

PS: The fact that it is both shoujo and slice of life don't bother me so long as it is good for those genres.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
In the long run it is worth it to me, since I haven't seen the anime. It's pretty funny with some serious moments, it seems to get a little bit more serious as the series progresses.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:09 am Reply with quote
You have GOT to get this series. It is, by far, the funniest one in my collection. I have to say that I eagerly look forward to the next volume as soon as I finish the current one.

Not only is the main story very good but there are also some of Bisco Hatori's manga shorts included in some volumes and those are pretty good as well.

Enjoy!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
MOst definetly the shorts are some of the better shorts I have seen out there. The stories are executed really well, and there is a bit more of interest to make you read them when compared to other shorts.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
i would like to second, or is it third?, the recommendation for Ouran. I have only 3 volumes out of the 8 or 9 released so far in English, but that is only because I don't let myself buy too much manga at once or else I'll go broke. Laughing But anyway, it is truly quite hilarious and not only one of the funniest anime I have ever seen, but the same goes for the manga as well. I also think that the shorts are pure gold and I think Ouran is definitely worth putting your money into!
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying Ouran alot too. For maximum effect, though, I would advise being familiar with at least one or two other reverse harem anime or manga before starting the series to fully appreciate the parody elements involved. For myself, I don't think I would have found certain parts of it nearly as funny if I hadn't already been familiar with Fruits Basket.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I think its hilarious and would certainly recommend it. However, a good chunk of the humor is based on poking fun at manga and anime stereotypes, particularly shoujo. If you aren't familiar with shoujo manga, a decent chunk of the humor may go over your head. There is still plenty of humor based on other things (rich people not understanding everyday things) but the whole host club is based on exploiting typical shoujo character types. It's definitely at least worth giving a try though.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ouran is definitely a very good manga, though I personally find that I enjoy the anime more. The manga does have its weaknesses, such as what I find to be a very poor decision to pretty much ignore the passage of time, but these are definitely balanced out by its strengths. I have especially been enjoying the later volumes I've bought (I have 1-8 which might be all that's in English, I'm not sure) because they have stories that were not included in the anime (though I still hope that one day the anime will have a second season, since it definitely had an ending which would allow for a continuation once more manga storyline has been written).
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Eh, its decent in my opinion. I find the manga-ka's storytelling style very awkward and some of the writing was odd. The first 8 or so episodes of the anime were great fun though; a fun parody of every shojo cliche you can think of. It was threatening to get a bit stale by the time I stopped, but I'll borrow it once it comes out in English. It's really a case of a talented team taking a story done by a so-so writer/artist (at least from what I've seen of the manga) and really making it shine. The over-the-top nature of the comedy works better in animated form with talented voice-actors. But I'm cynical about everything I read, so if you usually like shojo manga you'll probably love it like everyone else.
CrockPot

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Since I've seen it mentioned a couple of times already by other people, I though I'd let you know, according to rightstuf, Ouran is up to volume 8 in English with volume 9 is due out July 3, 2007.

I find I really enjoy the anime more than the manga, but I intend to continue buying this series just to see what happens next. I'm not saying the manga is bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I definitely thought the anime was funnier.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
The anime owns the manga by a ton.

Oh yes. The anime is absolutely great. Much funnier than the manga. I guess this is a trend with comedies though. The anime always seems to be funnier to me than the manga from what I've seen (some personal examples: School Rumble, Karin, Ninja Nonsense, Sgt. Frog, Yakitate!! Japan). There are just so many more elements in the anime versions that the manga just can't top (i.e. animation, voices, music/sound effects, color, etc.).

If you watch the anime first, then the manga is a bit underwhelming. If you haven't seen the anime, then by all means go ahead and read the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
the translation is apparently not accurate

I've heard this said before but no one has ever cited any instances when the translation was a problem, plus scenes that were in both the anime and the manga have been almost exactly the same, from what I can tell, when comparing manga translations and fansub translations.

So basically I consider this particular "fact" to be bs, unless someone actually comes up with proof of it.
Tobikan Judan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
its like love hina but instead the main character is a boy surrounded by girls, is a girl surrounded by boys.
animeluver11

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
its a very good series, hilarious and pretty romantic if you're in2 that kind of stuff!!! and the guys r really cute too Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Tobikan Judan wrote:
its like love hina but instead the main character is a boy surrounded by girls, is a girl surrounded by boys.

It's a reverse-harem series, yes, but the story/premise isn't really like Love Hina at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2