• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New channels getting Anime in Canada

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
Im hoping someone can help me with some questions regarding TV channels that are getting Anime. Specifically Im wondering about these channels in Canada.

Incase any of you dont know, Fuse will be airing Ergo Proxy and Tenjho Tenge

The SciFi channel will be airing Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society, Noein, Tokko, and Macross Plus and eventually the Ninja Scroll movie, Blood: The Last Vampire, the Read or Die video series, Black Jack The Movie, and Street Fighter II V.

Im not familiar with either of these channels. So...

1) Are they available in Canada?

2) Are they part of basic cable or speciality channels?

3) What channel are they? I guess this varys by where you are, Im in Vancouver so If anyone knows the channel layout there it would be helpful. (The first 2 are my main questions though.)

Thankyou in advance to anyone who can clear this up for me.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Well it depends which cable company you have. I'm going to assume you have Rogers, basically you have to phone them and ask for the channels. There's different cable packages for Rogers. From what I hear is that Rogers On Demand is becoming more used. Also I think that specialty channels are added separately on the bill but you get the first 2 months free. And yes the channels do vary depending where you live.
Go here if you want more information.
Ocean Deep

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I know that YTV has an Anime Channel coming to digital cable, so you'd have to subscribe.

We've got Shaw cable on the westcoast, but I don't have the digital channels to check for Fuse of SciFi.

Good luck!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have shaw so I've been checking out the shaw Website, and i cant find even a mention of either SciFi or Fuse.

Does anyone know if its even possible to get them in Canada? Its looking like not. Can anyone confirm?

On the topic of YTVs Anime channel, I guess it wont be up and running for a while. I assume though that it will definitely be availalbe but only from Digital Cable. At that point I guess I'll definitely get Digital but Im just trying to decide if i should get it now to see the stuff on SciFi and Fuse.
emory

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Those are both American channels. They are not available in Canada at all.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad

O well, hopefully us canucks will get some decent TV Anime when the Anime channel gets going. Thanks for the help everyone.
Zath

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Well YTV plays Anime on Friday nights (Mainly all the main stream things). Also Much music has been playing the anime Beck, Which i have enjoyed so far.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
I'm going to assume you have Rogers

Uh, why?

Rogers doesn't operate across all--or even most--of Canada.

The only national providers are the two satellite companies, Expressvu (owned by Bell) and StarChoice (owned by Shaw).

Rogers is a big company, to be sure, but not a national player in the TV business.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
Zath wrote:
Well YTV plays Anime on Friday nights (Mainly all the main stream things). Also Much music has been playing the anime Beck, Which i have enjoyed so far.

... and Razer and G4 also continue to air anime series.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
LuckySleven wrote:
I'm going to assume you have Rogers

Uh, why?

Rogers doesn't operate across all--or even most--of Canada.

The only national providers are the two satellite companies, Expressvu (owned by Bell) and StarChoice (owned by Shaw).

Rogers is a big company, to be sure, but not a national player in the TV business.

Yes I know the fact they aren't a nation wide cable provider but in 1980, Rogers purchased Premier Cable, which controlled the system in Vancouver. So I just assumed that he has Roger's Cable because it's Canada's largest cable service provider.

Also here's a list of kid channels you can get from Roger, though it's not very big.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
in 1980, Rogers purchased Premier Cable, which controlled the system in Vancouver. So I just assumed that he has Roger's Cable because it's Canada's largest cable service provider.

Still no reason for that assumption.

Rogers Cable is available in:
- some parts of Ontario (Toronto area, Ottawa, Barrie, London, Kitchener-Waterloo)
- some parts of eastern Quebec
- almost all of New Brunswick
- the most populous parts of Newfoundland and Labrador

And that's it. Not in Vancouver; heck, nowhere in Western Canada at all. Not in most of Quebec. Not even in many of Ontario's bigger cities, like Hamilton.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Okay dude, let it go. he's trying to be helpful and youre jumping down his throat because of one silly assumption.

I've seen the stuff on G4 and Razer. YTV only has Destiny which Im watching, Naruto which im sick of, and everything else is reruns. O well though, Its not like its the only way to watch Anime.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Okay dude, let it go. he's trying to be helpful and youre jumping down his throat .

I didn't jump down anyone's throat, I just cleared up a common assumption.

I live in Toronto, but I cringe at Toronto-centric thinking.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
You can't get either of those stations in Canada. And it isn't really a big deal in the case of FUSE, since Tenjho Tenge already aired on G4TechTV Canada months ago, and Ergo Proxy is set to air on that station this fall.

And while we are missing out on a lot of the Sci-Fi Channel stuff, IFC Canada has been playing a lot of content primarily from Manga Entertainment. Perhaps you should e-mail them to see if they have any plans to show the Sci-Fi programs?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Thats interesting about Proxy. Now I gotta decide if I should wait till fall or buy the DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2