• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Naruto burnout effect?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Big Bang

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering have anyone ever heard of the Naruto burnout effect. Where the show become so predictable that you eventually stop watching. At other forums I have been on they said this effect happen at around episode 100. I personally only have this effect when the fillers start. And I got over its once Naruto Shippuuden started. So,I wondering have anyone on this forum experience that effect.

Last edited by The Big Bang on Fri May 18, 2007 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching after episode 5 of Naruto Shipuuden, I did watch all the episodes before that, even the fillers, and watched the last 3 movies. I just stopped because I just got tired of it, not because it's predicatble. Then I just moved on to watch more interesting anime.
ShadowGod93

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
i have a cure spoiler[you just wach some even more predicatble so you want to wach naruto. or just wach another show then you'll foget why you stoped waching naruto.]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear lord I think I have an idea where this is going......................... Rolling Eyes
Gage

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Nope. You may never know when a show will take a twist.
The Big Bang

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
Nope. You may never know when a show will take a twist.
Yeah,but when you watch over 100+ episodes of Naruto. You can sometimes predict when a twist in the story happen.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
well i don't know about the anime, but as of lately the manga's been pretty unpredictable. a few big events have taken place that have made things intresting like [NO MANGA SPOILERS IN THE ANIME SECTION -selenta]

now Bleach on the other hand... there's a perfect definition of the burnout effect.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri May 18, 2007 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rozzer

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
well i don't know about the anime, but as of lately the manga's been pretty unpredictable. a few big events have taken place that have made things intresting like [NO MANGA SPOILERS IN THE ANIME SECTION -selenta]

now Bleach on the hand... there's a perfect definition of the burnout effect.

I agree with you on both of your comments, [As stated above, no manga spoilers in the anime forum. - Keonyn] Now, if they could only speed up the anime just a little bit more, it would be great instead of having 1 to 1 1/2 manga chapters per episode. And even then, they still mix up the chapters in the episodes to drag stuff out much longer than necessary.

Now for Bleach, I am simply amazed at how many chapters they use per episode each week. I remember counting 2-3 chapters for one episode, and I'm sure its happened more than once. I've already read the manga, so since I know what's going to happen doesn't really have a burnout effect too much. Just the fact that some of the scenes that are coming up in the next few weeks, I can see myself getting burned out on Bleach. And if they have to revert back to fillers because they went chapter crazy with episodes each week, I will DEFINITELY get burned out and I will not watch any more filler junk.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
You know, just because filler is filler doesn't make it junk, if the filler is good (has a good story to it or has unique set of traps and powers, etc...) then it's just fiine to have filler, that's why most One Piece filler is good and why One Piece is kicking the crap out of Naruto right now, and just tripping up Bleach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
prettygirl

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
You know, just because filler is filler doesn't make it junk.

Yes, some of my favourite episodes are fillers. Sometimes, they're so silly they just make me laugh and laugh!

Besides, sometimes when you watch to a point where you just want to give up and then something unexpected happens, that something is so much more exciting because it was so unexpected. Know what I mean?

Enjoy it for what it is.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't have that effect simply because I think it's really more about how something happenes instead of what is going to happen, which to me is every bit as interesting as having unpredictable twists, as is the interesting character depth (to an extent, anyways). Complex plot lines, as nice of a plus as they are, are overated in my opinion.

Besides, Naruto has a whole lot of other things to love about it, such as exciting, intense, and just downright awesome fight sequences, funny humor, touching and inspirational drama, a certain level of darkness and seriousness, and a ton of wicked awesome powers/abilities that keeps my interest anyways. That's why It's such a great series; because there's so many different reasons to love it!

Quote:
now Bleach on the other hand... there's a perfect definition of the burnout effect.

WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!??? You mean you weren't totally blown away by spoiler[the end of the soul society arc]!!?? Or spoiler[the beginning of the next arc (in the manga)]!!?? Or are at least intrigued by the countless number of speculation available in this series? Or maybe you haven't gotten that far yet and I should just shut my trap..............
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I don't have that effect simply because I think it's really more about how something happenes instead of what is going to happen, which to me is every bit as interesting as having unpredictable twists, as is the interesting character depth (to an extent, anyways). Complex plot lines, as nice of a plus as they are, are overated in my opinion.

Besides, Naruto has a whole lot of other things to love about it, such as exciting, intense, and just downright awesome fight sequences, funny humor, touching and inspirational drama, a certain level of darkness and seriousness, and a ton of wicked awesome powers/abilities that keeps my interest anyways. That's why It's such a great series; because there's so many different reasons to love it!

Quote:

WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!??? You mean you weren't totally blown away by spoiler[the end of the soul society arc]!!?? Or spoiler[the beginning of the next arc (in the manga)]!!?? Or are at least intrigued by the countless number of speculation available in this series? Or maybe you haven't gotten that far yet and I should just shut my trap..............

farther actually. i'm starting to find it's just an endless mishmash of fights that don't go anywhere, and story arcs that drag on way too long without any interesting developments, even the character designs are starting to get really generic. granted some really cool stuff is being foreshadowed, but if i wanted to make a comparison at this point, i'd say it's like Dragon Ball Z with swords.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun May 20, 2007 2:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
i definitely see Bleach burning out. the anime is going down the toilet and the manga is dragging on. which means Naruto could end up winning the very long arguement on which series is better Shocked im a Bleach fan and i shudder at that possibility.

Kubo Tite better get his ass in gear and save the series.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
This is something that happens with me for every shonen style series. Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha. I burned out of Naruto at arouned episode 50 then picked it up again when Toonami advanced past Shonen Jump serialization. I still don't enjoy it as much, it's just something to watch when nothing better is on. I burned out of Bleach at 50 too read the manga until volume 17 and then just dropped both the anime and manga. WILL IT EVER END???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1