• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Penguindrum Voice Actor Illich Guardiola Arrested in Texas

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
Catherine Zeta Jones wasn't 16 at the time and Michael Douglas was not her teacher. That is what is most creepy.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Marriage in Texas can be as young as 14 with parental consent. However I wonder if there was paperwork that he had to file to make his marriage legal in Texas?

States are not required to automatically recognize marriages from other states.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
I don't exactly see the problem here. If she is of the legal age to marry, and her mother gave consent, what's the problem? As long as it's not illegal for a teacher to marry a student, what's everyone getting upset about? What law did he break?
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Oh, let's not start this "America is a backwards country" crap. The laws on legal marriage and age of consent are something under state, not federal, authority and so can vary dramatically from state to state. While no states have the age 14 or 15 cut-offs seen across a bit more than half of in Europe, the majority of the country is 16, and "close age" exceptions are common, especially in states with higher age limits. Additional restrictions for those who are in a position of authority over a minor are also common; for instance, in my home state the age of consent is 16, or 18 if the the partner is a teacher, coach, pastor, etc. The latter is quite possibly what Mr. Guardiola got nailed on, as I'm not sure that even marriage approved by a legal guardian gets around that. Or, as the one article noted, others may have been involved, too.

Shame to hear about this, as I have liked him in various roles over the past decade. While something like this wouldn't necessarily make him unemployable as a voice actor (honestly, I suspect a lot of anime fans wouldn't care), his career as a teacher is certainly over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Something else that will figure into this case:

Quote:
On September 1, 2003, a law took effect in Texas making it a felony offense for an educator to engage in a sexual relationship with a student who attends the school where they teach, regardless of the student’s age or gender. In Texas, the legal age of consent for sexual activity is 17, but under the law, teacher-student relationships in which the students were 17 and 18 years old have been criminalized. - See more at: http://www.totalcriminaldefense.com/news/articles/sex-crimes/teacher-student-sex/#sthash.1lKg3jML.dpuf

So even with a marriage and the mother's approval, in Texas he can face up to 20 years in prison for "improper relationship between a student and an educator".

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/04/09/texas-teacher-accused-trying-to-marry-student-17/
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Catherine Zeta Jones wasn't 16 at the time and Michael Douglas was not her teacher. That is what is most creepy.

Maybe I should have prefaced my post with a blatant IRONY INCOMING warning.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Well, there you go.

And as a high school teacher, I don't have a problem with additional restrictions of this nature on teachers and the like. It makes it easier to fight off any possible temptation. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
I think Guardiola was Sha Gojyo in Saiyuki years ago.

It's kind of a rush to judgment before we hear all the facts, and yes, the teacher-student abuse of trust issue is present here, but what I always think in these situations is way more practical, as in - could the two have just WAITED two years until she was 18?

Waiting solves all problems - legal, moral and ethical.
corinthian

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
TheTsunami wrote:
Something else that will figure into this case:

Quote:
On September 1, 2003, a law took effect in Texas making it a felony offense for an educator to engage in a sexual relationship with a student who attends the school where they teach, regardless of the student’s age or gender. In Texas, the legal age of consent for sexual activity is 17, but under the law, teacher-student relationships in which the students were 17 and 18 years old have been criminalized. - See more at: http://www.totalcriminaldefense.com/news/articles/sex-crimes/teacher-student-sex/#sthash.1lKg3jML.dpuf

So even with a marriage and the mother's approval, in Texas he can face up to 20 years in prison for "improper relationship between a student and an educator".

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/04/09/texas-teacher-accused-trying-to-marry-student-17/

Yeah, I figured it would be something more along the lines of abuse of power rather than being just about age, though if the age of consent is 17 it doesn't even meet that threshold. The state might have recognized the marriage, but the student/teacher angle makes that very unlikely now.

This is kind of sad to hear. His voice was probably one of the first that made me realize my love of voices. Great diction, and an utterly unique accent. Thank gods for old DVDs, because we might not be hearing him for a while.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
I don't even know what to say over this. But I'll say this, what was his mother thinking to allow him to marry a 16 year old girl??
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
Wasn't the marriage performed in Las Vegas, Nevada though? In that case, would the Texas laws still even be a factor?
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Plus I looked some of his characters from series I recognized and found this image from Air Gear. He played a creepy older character who had a teenage girl he seduced always by his side. Whoo boy.

Illich Guardiola also played Koichi Shido, the creepy, slimy teacher in High School of the Dead.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120828170407/hotd/es/images/3/3e/00000000000000000000Shido.jpg
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I don't even know what to say over this. But I'll say this, what was his mother thinking to allow him to marry a 16 year old girl??

Her mother! Wink
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
I am not clear on what law he was arrested for breaking.
Both of the cited sources say it was "sexual assault of a child" which is rather ambiguous.
Since both of the sources are in Houston they might be assuming that all of their readers know what the age of consent is in Texas, but that seems like a poor assumption for a journalist to make.
It looks to me like the reporters did not know why he was arrested.

Click 2 Houston said "...accused of having sex with a teenager ..."
I am sure that there is no law anywhere in the US against having sex with a "teenager."

KHOU says "... married one of his teenage students was arrested Thursday, and authorities suspect there may be other victims."
"Married" and "victims" do not seem to go together.
Does the marriage ceremony end with the priest saying "The criminal may now kiss the victim"?
I don't think so.

It definitely seems that he was arrested for violating some law concerning sex and age of consent, but I really expect a news story to tell me more than that.

If what did get reported is true then he definitely was having sex with the girl before they were married. That by itself would not be a crime, though I personally would consider it to be wrong due to the girl's age and his position of authority.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
But if he got married in another state, do the laws of Texas still apply?
I mean, he didn't get married IN Texas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22