• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon XY Episode About Sunken Passenger Ship Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Welp, so much for ever seeing Skrelp and Dragalge in the anime.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Props to them for being respectful
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
Togame wrote:
It just keeps happening doesn't it.

OH JESUS!! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!

This is the exact same thing they did with the Team Rocket Vs Team Plasma episodes on Best Wishes when that earthquake and tsunami occured two years ago.

its gettng annoying now cause non of those eps were as controversial like the epilepsy epsiode or any of the others that have become the infamous banned eps. hopefully the could at least release those eps as an OVA so a majority of us can see them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Remember the episode in season 1 when Satoshi and friends were on the ship, and he traded his butterfree(then traded back). Later in that episode, the ship sinked(with him on board?).

What of it? It was an obvious Titanic parody which was still new at the time.

Before and after?
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people here are worried that they won't air some episodes because of the controversy, but that's not particularly true. It's still possible, but they've delayed episodes and showed them later, too. BW had one or two episodes that were delayed after the Tsunami incident (outside the famous Team Plasma episode, which never aired again). We'll just have to wait and see.

In all honesty, though, Pokemon is really sensitive about this because it's a mainstream series with a small (but quite loud) track record for having caused controversy for its content in Japan. They have to tip-toe around these issues or they cause a lot of unnecessary stress on their viewers and staff. For those saying, "But these episode have only vague connections to the current events! Why should they have to take the episodes off for everyone when it's only a few groups of people who would be affected by it?", it's FAR more complicated than that. Sure, the logic from your perspective makes sense. I don't agree with making the whole suffer for the sake of the few. However, these are tragedies--especially when it comes to the tsunami and this incident (there were about 100,000 Koreans in Japan who attended a memorial service for the Korean students who perished--they may be a minority, but they still constitute a large portion of Japan, of which Japan isn't always acknowledging of, unfortunately). When tragedies happen, the smallest connections have big consequences, to the hearts of the people involved and to those who are sympathetic to them. And that's why we are more careful for the simplest things. They aren't things we can just snuff our snouts at, no matter what reasoning we have.

And especially in Japan, disregarding the feelings of a large group of people, even if they're a minority, just makes you look like a big jerk. People will hold it against you. And it will affect sales. So regardless of your own feelings as a staff member, it makes complete business sense to be sympathetic to sensitive circumstances. When I saw the preview for the episode last week, I knew immediately that it was going to get delayed. It's just how it works and there's nothing we can do about it.

On a positive note, we get the gym fight one week early! I was more excited for that, anyway, so I'll take what I can get! Only 1.5 days until it airs~
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

In all honesty, though, Pokemon is really sensitive about this because it's a mainstream series with a small (but quite loud) track record for having caused controversy for its content in Japan. They have to tip-toe around these issues or they cause a lot of unnecessary stress on their viewers and staff. For those saying, "But these episode have only vague connections to the current events! Why should they have to take the episodes off for everyone when it's only a few groups of people who would be affected by it?", it's FAR more complicated than that. Sure, the logic from your perspective makes sense. I don't agree with making the whole suffer for the sake of the few. However, these are tragedies--especially when it comes to the tsunami and this incident (there were about 100,000 Koreans in Japan who attended a memorial service for the Korean students who perished--they may be a minority, but they still constitute a large portion of Japan, of which Japan isn't always acknowledging of, unfortunately). When tragedies happen, the smallest connections have big consequences, to the hearts of the people involved and to those who are sympathetic to them. And that's why we are more careful for the simplest things. They aren't things we can just snuff our snouts at, no matter what reasoning we have.

And especially in Japan, disregarding the feelings of a large group of people, even if they're a minority, just makes you look like a big jerk. People will hold it against you. And it will affect sales. So regardless of your own feelings as a staff member, it makes complete business sense to be sympathetic to sensitive circumstances. When I saw the preview for the episode last week, I knew immediately that it was going to get delayed. It's just how it works and there's nothing we can do about it.

As I said, there is a big ethnic Korean community living in Japan, so yeah that is the reason why they delay the episode, they didn't want to offend this community. I guess some ANN forumites didn't know that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3