• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions Gets Its Own Train

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote

Sharp-eyed Internet users deduced the train to be running on the Ishiyama Sakamoto Line in Biwa Prefecture, and had the following reactions.

• “Even though I have delusions, I want to ride it.”
    “I don’t.”
    “Reality, burst!”
    “Train geeks are gonna be all over this on the weekend.”
    “Let’s all hop on and sing some military anthems!”
    “People of the world, this is Cool Japan!”
    “I don’t know about that, but at least it’s better than an AKB 48 train.”

The most delusional comments of all, though, were the several that echoed this gentleman’s sentiment.

• “Hey, if you poked your head out the center window, wouldn’t you be able to peek up their skirts?”

Remember, anime fans, make-believe is all fine and good until you go sticking body parts out of a moving train. If you don’t want to end up in the real-world hospital, save your fictional panty hunting from when you’re sitting safely at home in front of your TV. Laughing
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
dekomori looks good there.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
"Am I at my stop yet? I can't see through this girl's thigh!"
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Hey, if you poked your head out the center window, wouldn’t you be able to peek up their skirts?”

Sigh. Yet another reminder that there are people who lust after these cutesy, underaged looking characters. Whatever it is that blurs the line between "young and cute" and "of age and appealing" is something that I just don't have.

Like the Hatsune Miku Toyotas, this is a cool enough idea (better than any US train "wraps" that I've seen) but not one that I'd want to ride in.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Wish there were anime covered vehicles in England. .
Lusbox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:03 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Sigh. Yet another reminder that there are people who lust after these cutesy, underaged looking characters

While I do agree with you, part of the blame has to go to the designers, I mean Nibutani is literally on her back with her legs spread.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Like the Hatsune Miku Toyotas, this is a cool enough idea (better than any US train "wraps" that I've seen) but not one that I'd want to ride in.

Ah, but if you ride the train you can't see it.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Ah, but if you ride the train you can't see it.

The insides could be decorated also, like this Evangelion train:

http://www.madman.com.au/fanzone/display/73342.img
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Sigh. Yet another reminder that there are people who lust after these cutesy, underaged looking characters.
Doesn't almost every anime airing these days qualify?
Quote:
Whatever it is that blurs the line between "young and cute" and "of age and appealing" is something that I just don't have.
The late teens don't see any drastic change in body proportions unless you're a really late bloomer, so the "of age" line usually finds itself in the fat middle. Well, that and we evolved well before the line got put up there anyway.
Quote:
It definitely works as a publicity stunt, but almost all commuter rail in the US has bigger problems - like not going anywhere interesting on a sane schedule(even assuming the geography of the region lets you get away with mass transit).
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
It definitely works as a publicity stunt, but almost all commuter rail in the US has bigger problems - like not going anywhere interesting on a sane schedule(even assuming the geography of the region lets you get away with mass transit).

Anyone who has explored the Kanto area of Japan by train will know how convenient it is. Most trains accept the Suica card, and those that don't aren't too difficult to use (e.g. the branch line to Kawaguchiko where I took the Evangelion train photo above, the Ueda to Bessho-Onsen train (Summer Wars), the Isumi line (decorated with Moomin characters)).

Even JR-East gets into the act (Pokemon train poster):

http://www.madman.com.au/fanzone/display/85469.img
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm confused - I wasn't saying anything about train travel in Japan, but rather that US cities tend to be horribly spread out, which is not so good for mass transit given that everybody's going to be going to completely different areas.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
The Keihan Ishiyama-Sakamoto Line is known for its anime-themed trains.

Besides the train shown here, they've done themed trains for the anime series Chihayafuru and Gundam AGE plus the K-On! movie in recent years.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
The Keihan Ishiyama-Sakamoto Line is known for its anime-themed trains.

Besides the train shown here, they've done themed trains for the anime series Chihayafuru and Gundam AGE plus the K-On! movie in recent years.

Yes, I found this K-On! picture from the Keihan Ishiyama-Sakamoto line:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ファイル:Keihan600-keion2.JPG
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
A shame they didn't seem to have things like this when I visited Japan 6 years ago. Or if they did, I guess I never saw it. I'd have ridden one just for the sake of doing it, regardless of where it was going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1