• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Other 1/2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trypticon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
I've been pretty reluctant on Psycho-Pass. The morals of preventing crime before it happens feels too similar to Minority Report.

You should at least sample the first few episodes; you can always have a look on Funimation, there’s really nothing to lose on your part.

According to what I have heard and read, Psycho-Pass seems as though it shares more in common with Sherlock Holmes with the actual story. The premise on the other hand in regards to their society and crime prevention, while being similar to Minority Report, also seems to share a lot of parallels to Equilibrium.

I have the special, super-duper deluxe version on order; I should be getting it within the next few weeks here. I very much look forward to watching it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
No it wasn't just the dub, the characters are just as mean spirited in the sub and the manga. I would argue that the anime exaggerated their more unfavorable traits though (especially Akane's.)

Strangely enough, while I usually can't get into a series where nearly everybody is unsympathetic, Ranma 1/2 is the exception for me. It may be because it rarely takes itself seriously and there are those little moments that give them some form of humanity. It's also extremely funny when the humor is done right, which it usually is. I defy you not to at least chuckle at Kuno whenever he opens his mouth (props for whoever's idea it was to let him talk cheesy Shakespeare in the dub.)

This being a Rumiko series, no matter how formal, angry or imposing a character tries to be....they've always got that one little foot of clay that's going to ruin it for them--
For Ranma, it's his curse (and Genma usually getting turned into a panda in the middle of dad-lecture); for Ryouga, it's his getting lost and turning to Jell-o around Akane; for Akane, it's her utter inability to do girly things like cook, and for Kunou (aka the Samurai Gaston), it's...the fact that he's a complete idiot. Wink

It's a staple in all three of the Rumiko comedies (like Mendou's claustrophobia in UY or Mitaka's fear of dogs in Maison)--four, if you want to count "Sit, boy!" in InuYasha--and it first refined the idea of embarrassment as a universal language in Japanese comedy.
(For those who haven't been following that thread over on the Anime board.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
This review comes at a neat time for me; just last night I got nostalgic and started looking up sites and newsgroups I used to follow in the mid-90's, back when anime was all still shiny and new. A surprising amount of that stuff is still floating around out there.

Ranma was huge back then. It spawned endless discussions, countless fanfics, and an infamous roleplaying usenet thread that regularly threatened to engulf rec.arts.anime.misc. The manga was still running, so nobody knew how it would end. The various character pairings had some pretty intense partisans, and...I don't know, there was a passion for it in fandom that could be pretty crazy and sometimes pretty annoying, but I kind of miss those times.

BTW, though, people are saying it gets better around episode 12, and that may be true...but remind me: when does Happosai arrive and ruin it?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Ranma was huge back then. It spawned endless discussions, countless fanfics, and an infamous roleplaying usenet thread that regularly threatened to engulf rec.arts.anime.misc. The manga was still running, so nobody knew how it would end. The various character pairings had some pretty intense partisans, and...I don't know, there was a passion for it in fandom that could be pretty crazy and sometimes pretty annoying, but I kind of miss those times.

So Ranma rose with the internet? That explains a lot.

Ranma 1/2 remains the only Rumiko Takashi series where I've seen no episodes, trailers, bits or sorts which is odd since it was the first one I've heard off. Also, I've never fully watched a Rumiko Takashi series either because they are Rumiko Takashi series - she may be one of the wealthiest mangakas out there but isn't that based on never letting a series say "die" until the premise could be milked for all it's worth?

I mean, creating engaging premises that are repeatedly ran into the ground with nowhere to go-almost instantly in some cases? Ranma 1/2 is shelfworthy; I keep seeing the first season of Inuyasha on sale for around ten dollars but ultimately the idea of any of her series on my shelf is tiring.

I have a couple of Dragon Ball sets but I keep them hidden. Fan service laden perverted comedies with girls all over the covers? Fine but owning overly long shounen series is just embarrassing...
RHorsman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
I can't defend Pupa as a whole, but episode 6? Where it's the little sister eating him bite by bite for 4 disgusting unflinching minutes?

That's every imouto show distilled down to its screwed up essence.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

That's...not a half-bad way of putting it. Back when anime fans were so few and far between, the 'net was the only way to find like-minded people (aside from making converts yourself, anyway), and Ranma was really in the right place at the right time for that.

Quote:
but isn't (Rumiko Takahashi's wealth) based on never letting a series say "die" until the premise could be milked for all it's worth?

Have you tried "Maison Ikkoku"? It's long too, but that one knows where it's going and slowly but steadily gets there. (Like most of her series, it also improves a lot after its first season.)

Which reminds me...

If any Viz people are reading this, you are getting sleeeeeeepy...very sleeeeeepy...and when I snap my fingers, you will awaken...with an intense, burning desire to put MI out on Blu-Ray.

SNAP!!
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
I've been pretty reluctant on Psycho-Pass. The morals of preventing crime before it happens feels too similar to Minority Report. That movie was mystery and suspense, while this is supposedly more psychological, but I can't help but feel that underneath their exteriors, they're pretty much the same idea, just with different executions.

They are, but that's not a bad thing. Psycho-Pass is Urobuchi's reply to Minority Report, and he takes the film to task for being overly simplistic in its treatment of the concept. Spielberg began with the assumption that the Pre-Crime system is bad, and everything in the movie is set up to reinforce that point. Psycho-Pass is Urobuchi saying, "Wait a second, it's not that simple -- you can't just dismiss all the good things the Pre-Crime system did just because it offends your notion of free will. Getting rid of the system is going to increase suffering in the world -- is that really all right? Sounds to me like only someone with a twisted mind would want that outcome."
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
I felt that Pupa was an admirable failure. It tried to do something different, which was create a viable horror anime production in 12 small bites. Sadly it failed quite hard, but it had it's moments. In general, I thought was quite a good satire of little sister shows, and it did have some wonderful weird bits. The last episode completely comes out of nowhere. But it really didn't establish much of a world, let alone a viable horror feeling. It was very incoherent and badly paced. I do like things that try though, and it certainly did that in my mind.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

Ranma 1/2 remains the only Rumiko Takashi series where I've seen no episodes, trailers, bits or sorts which is odd since it was the first one I've heard off. Also, I've never fully watched a Rumiko Takashi series either because they are Rumiko Takashi series - she may be one of the wealthiest mangakas out there but isn't that based on never letting a series say "die" until the premise could be milked for all it's worth?

So, um....try watching it? You'll seem to have an easier time than with UY or Maison, these days.

More to the point, it was one of the first and most accessible series that went mainstream, back in the days when US anime was either inscrutable failed art features like Streamline, cheap failed OAV's which were the only thing small startup companies could get their hands on, or strange short-run sci-fi series like Lain. When fans were praising Record of Lodoss Wars because it was one of the only things you could buy at Suncoast, things were bad back then.
Once Viz hit the shelves--to cash in on the manga fans and say "Ranma talks!"--every company had to have one long-run comedy series. Software Sculptor's Slayers also became one of the first nutty audience-friendly comedies to hit the mainstream stores, and also became an instant thing in the US, while Pioneer offered the Tenchi Muyo OAV box, but you can usually tell which audiences started with that version first.

Which, in Ranma's case, boils down to the basic issue that A), it's funny, and B), it's funny in ways that are universal enough to not need too much explaining.
Even though AnimEigo already had Urusei Yatsura out on VHS, you usually showed Ranma to strangers first, since the funny slapstick and Ranma & Akane's battle-of-the-sexes were much easier for gaijin to understand than UY's wacky free-form cultural refs, although both had Rumiko's trademark for a crazy ensemble of slightly-off characters.

Try it. It won't hurt you. Very Happy

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Rumiko Takashi ... may be one of the wealthiest mangakas out there but isn't that based on never letting a series say "die" until the premise could be milked for all it's worth?

That is one way of looking at it.
A different way would be that she doesn't quit as long as the fans want more. It depends on whether you want to be negative or positive.

However you feel about her Rumiko Takahashi is still very successful. And she is successful because a lot of people like her work and are willing to pay for it. And I admit that I am one of those people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I felt that Pupa was an admirable failure. It tried to do something different, which was create a viable horror anime production in 12 small bites.

Might I interest you in Yami Shibai? I haven't seen it myself, but from what I've heard it is an effective horror show that has five-minute episodes. It aired last summer, so it's pretty recent.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
consignia wrote:
I felt that Pupa was an admirable failure. It tried to do something different, which was create a viable horror anime production in 12 small bites.

Might I interest you in Yami Shibai? I haven't seen it myself, but from what I've heard it is an effective horror show that has five-minute episodes. It aired last summer, so it's pretty recent.

I had heard of it, but didn't check it out at the time. I've just watched the first episode, and I think it's good. Love the art style, and they get quite a nice little horror vignette in it's short time. Thanks.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been debating about getting Ranma 1/2. I have most of the manga (It was the first manga I collected and at the time before I became an obsessive collector I thought I'd only buy the volumes with my favorite stories).

As for the anime I never thought it was quite as good as the manga. It does have a godly seiyuu cast though: Kappei Yamaguchi, Megumi Hayashibara, & Noriko Hidaka as the leads wow. And yes I love that opening song.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

This review comes at a neat time for me; just last night I got nostalgic and started looking up sites and newsgroups I used to follow in the mid-90's, back when anime was all still shiny and new. A surprising amount of that stuff is still floating around out there. Ranma was huge back then. It spawned endless discussions, countless fanfics, and an infamous roleplaying usenet thread that regularly threatened to engulf rec.arts.anime.misc.

[GRIT] - Global Ranma Insanity Thread

• "It stands for Global Ranma Insanity Thread. Also, grit gets into everything."
    "No really, it's a long and complicated story."

Back in early 1996, a flamewar erupted in the Usenet newsgroup rec.arts.anime as to the merits of each of Ranma Saotome's many fiancees. So far, this was entirely normal.

Then something weird happened. One poster in the thread described the thread as all out war. Another poster thought this amusing enough to write a little story about some of the participants of the flame war waging all out trench warfare against each other.

Then other people in the flamewar jumped in and wrote more stuff about this trench war.

Then, somehow, it was revealed that this war was happening in Nerima, the setting of Ranma 1/2.

Then, somehow, the participants in this war ended up in and around the Tendou dojo and were interacting with the Ranma cast.

The original warfare premise was silently dropped, and what had begun as a fairly typical flamewar on rec.arts.anime had ended up as a full-fledged self-insert ranma fanfic / role-playing game / occasional discussion thread.

In its original form, it lasted for YEARS.

vanfanel wrote:

The manga was still running, so nobody knew how it would end. The various character pairings had some pretty intense partisans, and...I don't know, there was a passion for it in fandom that could be pretty crazy and sometimes pretty annoying, but I kind of miss those times.

Ranma vs. Ryouga
Shampoo vs. Ukyou
Happousai vs. Cologne
Herb vs. Pantyhose Taro
etc.

EricJ2 wrote:

More to the point, it was one of the first and most accessible series that went mainstream,

It used to occupy most of the shelves in the "Japanimation" aisle (it's not called "anime" yet) of your local video stores when it was 2-eps per VHS volume, separate dub and sub volumes, thus multiple copies of many many volumes - before DBZ took over.

EricJ2 wrote:

back in the days when US anime was either inscrutable failed art features like Streamline, cheap failed OAV's which were the only thing small startup companies could get their hands on,

Hey! Dominion Tank Police! Devil Hunter Yohko! Patlabor! Project A-ko! Smile

EricJ2 wrote:

or strange short-run sci-fi series like Lain. When fans were praising Record of Lodoss Wars because it was one of the only things you could buy at Suncoast, things were bad back then.

Lain didn't come out till the end of the decade, beyond Ranma's peak. Lodoss Wars is praised because it's good D&D, from where a lot of anime fans hailed.

EricJ2 wrote:

Once Viz hit the shelves--to cash in on the manga fans and say "Ranma talks!"--every company had to have one long-run comedy series. Software Sculptor's Slayers also became one of the first nutty audience-friendly comedies to hit the mainstream stores, and also became an instant thing in the US,

Slayers was also the first to come out with 4-eps per VHS volume below $20, that helped its hit status. It's not too unusual back then for the hottest properties in Japan to be somewhat audience-friendly - they were aired on daytime hours and didn't rely on depraved fetishes as a hook.

EricJ2 wrote:

while Pioneer offered the Tenchi Muyo OAV box, but you can usually tell which audiences started with that version first.

Which, in Ranma's case, boils down to the basic issue that A), it's funny, and B), it's funny in ways that are universal enough to not need too much explaining.
Even though AnimEigo already had Urusei Yatsura out on VHS, you usually showed Ranma to strangers first, since the funny slapstick and Ranma & Akane's battle-of-the-sexes were much easier for gaijin to understand than UY's wacky free-form cultural refs, although both had Rumiko's trademark for a crazy ensemble of slightly-off characters.

Plus Urusei Yatsura was only subtitled, save for the first few eps that had a dub that's best forgotten.

Though even Ranma started out slow. It wasn't till late S1 - early S2 that our anime-oblivious dorm hall happened to catch on it and started asking to watch the beginning episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I had heard of it, but didn't check it out at the time. I've just watched the first episode, and I think it's good. Love the art style, and they get quite a nice little horror vignette in it's short time. Thanks.

You're welcome - glad I could help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4