• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-05-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
Is it just me, or are people avoiding the rant? How can it NOT interest you? Finally, a Rant that isn't just the same old topics rehashed! And yet, there are those - people who have written plenty on previous rants - who avoid it like the plague.

Latent homophobia, anyone?

I think it's just that the subject doesn't interest most of us (and grosses a few of us out); but pulling out the propagandistic term "homophobia" doesn't serve any purpose. I have no interest in knowing people who are broken and can't accept their gender; I've got enough issues of my own to work on without other people glomming theirs onto me.

I certainly have no problem with girls dressing up as guys for the purposes of cosplay, but guys as girls? That's just creepy.

I wasn't going to mention my feelings on the matter, but since you wanted people to address the rant, there you go. Perhaps not the kind of response you wanted, but the only one I can give.
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
Moros, perhaps some people are not interested in the rant because it is a topic that they have no knowledge of? Maybe some of the posters here haven't really watched or have been exposed to anime with transgender themes. Some of them may just feel uncomfortable dicussing it, I don't know. However, I really think it is out of line to call people homophobes without any justification. That is not really a term one can throw around loosely. I can understand why you are upset though, because this is the first rant in a while that explores other issues or themes than what we are used to getting and you want more people to discuss and be interested in the rant. (If I am interpreting you correctly, please tell me if I'm wrong).
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
I think one reason why people complain about fanservice in anime more than they do violence is because most of the time the fanservice in anime is pointless. It adds nothing to the show other than providing comedy relief which can often become repetitive. However, with violence sometimes it can be used to present an anti-war message or sometimes it can even help develop a character. Like, I don't think the episode in Eva where Gendo forces Shinji to spoiler[nearly kill Toji would have been quite as effective without the violence]. Other times the violence can help set the mood of a film. Do you really think Akira would be quite as powerful of a film as it is without the graphic violence? Certainly pointless violence can be just as disgusting as pointless fanservice (I think we can all agree that X The Movie is a horrible film despite its violence) but it seems like more often than not the violence in anime is used to make a statement whereas fanservice seems to be there just to be pointless. Also, violence in anime is usually portrayed in a very negative light. I mean, like when violence occurs, characters die and are badly injured and there's usually a lot of emotional anguish involved whereas fanservice is treated more comically and even somewhat positive. I also think it has something to do with the negative stereotype people have that all anime is pr0n. Anime fans loathe that stereotype and so maybe some fans are trying to disassociate themselves from the stereotype as much as possible by refusing to have anything to do with fanservice? And I loved this week's Answerman banner and I think gazelles will be the downfall of humanity.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:
Moros wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Rant: While it was well-written, it wasn't a subject that interests me, so I'll say nothing more.

Is it just me, or are people avoiding the rant? How can it NOT interest you? Finally, a Rant that isn't just the same old topics rehashed! And yet, there are those - people who have written plenty on previous rants - who avoid it like the plague.

Latent homophobia, anyone?

Oh, PLEASE! If the next rant deals with earwax removal as portrayed in anime, will you suggest that those who are not interested in the topic are latent cerumenophobes?

Oh please! When was the last time the religious right rallied against earwax removal???!!!

Zac obviously thought it worthy enough for him to give some of his OWN collection away. I DOUBT he would do the same for earwax removal!

ERGO, IF IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO FEATURE AS THE RANT OF THE WEEK, AND WIN A PRIZE, THEN IT IS AT VERY LEAST A WORTHY PIECE OF WRITING AND SHOULD BE CHECKED OUT!

Oh dear, blood pressure's getting too high. But your argument stank, having no basis in respectable circles of logic

Even if a movie won the Oscar for Best Picture, that still doesn't mean it's something I would be interested in watching, so no, being posted and winning a prize is not, in of itself, an argument of why everyone HAS to read it.

This comment has the same attitude as many people on a political blog I visit, who often portray the issue as "THE MOSTEST IMPORTANT ISSUE EVAR!!!1!!11!" and everyone absolutely must pay attention to it or they're a moral degenerate.
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
jetz

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
astroasis wrote:
I didn't like the rant. I guess I'm in the minority, but I found it repetetive, dull and mis-informed. Oh, yeah... and guilty of using unnecessarily long sentences in an attempt at being "academic" or whatever that means.

That's what I thought too, even if it's the kind of material SOME high school teachers would like. The problem about it is that it's too long - just because it's long doesn't make it well made. Back in high school we were trained to make things short and sweet. It shows that you are more collected and critical.

However, the rant did bring about something interesting. I have noticed that there are many crossdressing characters in anime these days, and yes, most of these characters are found in Shojo anime. (Moe fan girls just love it)

And like what was said in the rant, these crossdressers aren't portrayed that well and are most of the times "foot notes" of the anime. I'm afraid to think that other than being foot notes, they're used for comedic relief.

There are also more guy crossdressers compared to girl crossdressers, which reinforces my opinion that gays in anime are used as comedic relief. My psychology teacher once said that gays are funnier than lesbians, and I agree.

About the Basilisk comments. I'm not into fan service and ecchi as well, since I think that both are directed to male audiences more, but the nudity in Basilisk didn't bother me at all. I'm just wondering though - why does Akeginu like to fight half-naked?

Ashamed Otaku? Reminds me of Ogiue from Genshiken a lot. I'm actually quite confused though. So are you ashamed or not?

I also don't get the nekomimi thing. I'm currently watching Loveless, and most of the characters there have cat ears (I think it's a sign of how old they are). When I first saw that, I asked myself "Am I supposed to be impressed/aroused/something?" I've never thought catgirls/guys were cute - in fact, most of them are annoying, Like Merle from The Vision of Escaflowne.

And the Flake of the Week. I felt a bit insulted by that. Something tells me the flake of the week is not an anime fan..

Last edited by jetz on Fri May 11, 2007 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
What anime is the banner from?
jetz

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
stormcrow22 wrote:

Looks like Dita from Vandread.

Nice banner btw, forgot to include that in my post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
[quote="jetz"]
astroasis wrote:
I also don't get the nekomimi thing. I'm currently watching Loveless, and most of the characters there have cat ears (I think it's a sign of how old they are). When I first saw that, I asked myself "Am I supposed to be impressed/aroused/something?"
In the case of Loveless, the catgirls/boys are used as a plot point. The cat ears aren't really a sign of their age but rather they lose their cat ears and tail when they lose their virginity. But then I didn't think the catgirls/boys in Loveless acted like your typical anime catgirls. They were more like humans just with cat ears/tail.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
jetz wrote:
I also don't get the nekomimi thing. I'm currently watching Loveless, and most of the characters there have cat ears (I think it's a sign of how old they are). When I first saw that, I asked myself "Am I supposed to be impressed/aroused/something?"
In the case of Loveless, the catgirls/boys are used as a plot point. The cat ears aren't really a sign of their age but rather they lose their catears and tail when they lose their virginity.

So that's what it is. I thought it was about age because they were talking about the teacher who is already 23 and she still has her ears. I thought they were saying she's too old for that since most of the characters that still have their ears are kids.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
stormcrow22 wrote:

Looks like Dita from Vandread.

Nice banner btw, forgot to include that in my post.

Yes, it is indeed Dita (and Hibiki) from Vandread.

I'm glad to hear you liked that banner of mine. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheShadow99

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
About half of the manga I have involves fanservice but I find it more funny then anything. In American shows when we get "our fanservice" so to say nothing really happens but in anime and manga it is funny how something always happens afterwards like the guy flying away from a punch or getting dirty thoughts in his head while the girl is right there. As for violence I don't really care since it usually fits in the story. Although if it is too extereme it is sometimes too hard to watch, like Afro Samurai went a little overboard with the blood which felt wierd. As for the nudity and violence thing violence is more excepted because it is not as bad as sex. I mean having good and evil characters fight each other isn't all that bad and doesn't affect children as much. As for nudity that can conflict with peoples morals and feel wierd at times. Also seeing sex can isn't the best for children. If they see violence it is something they could handle depending the type of violence such as good vs evil. With nudity it could make them want to see a real naked person and go on from there. Overall though people just look at sex worse then violence. It all goes back to that ninja episode of South Park. Nobody cared that Butters got a shuriken stuck in his eye but when Cartman walked across the stage nude everyone goes crazy.

There are plenty of cultures in the world were nudity is perfectly well accepted and even places were sex where children can see is normal. Most of the people from those places are just as well adjusted as anyone else and has no more (or less) interest in things sexual. They normal do however have less of a obsession with seeing people of the opposite gender naked though...

I'd love it if the more 'modern' world could get their collective heads out of their backsides and get over that people are nude under their clothes! Seeing a nude person won't hurt a child in any way!

I'm not a nudist by any stretch, but even from the inside of US culture for my whole life I just can't understand why so many people think the naked body is such an evil thing...
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
I think one reason why people complain about fanservice in anime more than they do violence is because most of the time the fanservice in anime is pointless[...]. However, with violence sometimes it can be used to present an anti-war message or sometimes it can even help develop a character. [...] Also, violence in anime is usually portrayed in a very negative light. I mean, like when violence occurs, characters die and are badly injured and there's usually a lot of emotional anguish involved whereas fanservice is treated more comically and even somewhat positive. I also think it has something to do with the negative stereotype people have that all anime is pr0n. Anime fans loathe that stereotype and so maybe some fans are trying to disassociate themselves from the stereotype as much as possible by refusing to have anything to do with fanservice?.

QFT. Certainly at least this applies to me. I always sort of mentally groan when, say, I'm watching Gunbuster (to use the most recent occurrence of this), and there's blatant fanservice, because I'm thinking, "So much for lending this to anyone". I mean, the bath setting in ep. 2 does actually make sense (it's a conciliatory scene where the girls are able to open up towards Jung after thinking she was an ice queen), but besides that it's also some pretty blatant cheesecake (at least we learned that Jung Freud is a natural redhead!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11