• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Unveils Virtual Reality Headset 'Project Morpheus'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Nah, we know it's gonna be for these first:

Because they have the money and resources to develop it.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
^ looks quite uncomfortable to be honest D:

mewpudding101 wrote:
...Virtual Boy? Very Happy

being surrounded by your very own harem!
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Blatch wrote:
inb4 Sword Art Online in real life

inb4 hack.//series in real life

I'd prefer .Hack, but seeing as how aniplex is a part of Sony, looks like its gonna hafta be Sword Art .
btw weren't there google glasses like this?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
Sony is pulling a "ME TOO" move? Insane. The degree of technicality that one needs to possess in order to maintain that peripheral cannot be harnessed by a land locked system such as PS4. Not to mention the mainstream. If they truly want to release a Stereoscopic 3D, 1080p headset and compete, it will have to be under $300.

Take note that Sony has offered this same premium setups for decades for a measly $1500 to $3000. Minus the Stereoscopic 3D. They ain't new at this.

This should win the award for technical ignorance of the year, and its only March!

They would be wise to cut "V.R." out of anything they try to do with this. It carries a bad product ending moniker.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
Blatch wrote:

Thank you. There are only a few who would say this.

Yeah, but someone forgot to add a Matrix reference in it too! Anime hyper

Wonder how to blend .hack/SAO/Matrix, and add a little bit of Virtual Boy/R-Zone and...yeah, lol.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Blatch wrote:

That might work for .hack in real life, but SAO requires a headset that transmits the game directly into your brain, not just some goggles. .hack, however, it turns out can work to suck you into the game... with a normal monitor and no fancy eye-wear at all, in some cases. Only the truly hardcore gamers actually used the eye-wear until the later incarnations when they became more commonplace. I'd call hax, but that's the entire point of the franchise, so that would be giving it a compliment. So I will, because .hack is awesome. Hax.

kevinx59 wrote:

I take it you've never actually seen them (granted, I've seen one person ever wearing them actually in person, rather than in pictures on the Internet, and that was at a Google presentation meeting thing [btw, I'm a computer scientist, so I'm at these sorts of things sometimes]). No, Google Glass is nothing like this. There's only one lens, for one thing, and it's a tiny HUD and nothing more. The newer models which aren't entirely on the market yet can be combined with real glasses lenses for a 2-lense not-entirely-geeky glasses setup, but there is still only 1 of the actual Google Glass lens and it sits in front of the right glasses lens. I suppose you might be able to use it for a really trippy game of Tetris.

Anyway, so, Sony copying yet another idea that Nintendo put into practice first? Surely this will catch on super well, just like Move has. ... Wait, but Nintendo's motion controls were actually super popular (after several attempts anyway [let's not get started on the Power Glove], but still...), whereas the Virtual Boy was anything but (and rightfully so), so perhaps the law of opposites works here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyougaZell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Blatch wrote:

inb4 Corrector Yui in real life Laughing Razz
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
know that I won't be one of your guinea pigs sony, having trust issues with tech.
hellsingfan01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
holy crap nerve gear is coming
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:

Google glasses aren't the same thing. They're augmented reality. So they overlay things overtop of what you see. Similar to what Kinect, Eyetoy, DSi, 3DS and Vita already do.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Sony is pulling a "ME TOO" move? Insane.

VR isn't anything new and Sony have been toying around with it since the PS2 era. The PS4 device's development began as far back as 2010 before Oculus Rift showed up.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The degree of technicality that one needs to possess in order to maintain that peripheral cannot be harnessed by a land locked system such as PS4.

Not at all. True, you are not going to get top of the line PS4 graphics out of this as concessions must be made for high framerates and 3-D. But it's perfectly doable with graphics comparable to PS3. So if anything developers will have an easier time making games for fixed spec console which can be ported to beefier PCs later.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Not to mention the mainstream. If they truly want to release a Stereoscopic 3D, 1080p headset and compete, it will have to be under $300.

Both Sony and Oculus are targeting a $300 price. Sony, being a hardware manufacturer themself is better positioned on the price front. The mainstream is more likely to buy a PS4 and the headset than a $1000+ PC with Oculus. But undoubtedly for the best settings those who can afford it will likely want the PC/Oculus, though I imagine there'll be lots of crossovers between PC and PS4 for popular VR games, particularly from indies.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Take note that Sony has offered this same premium setups for decades for a measly $1500 to $3000. Minus the Stereoscopic 3D. They ain't new at this.

What 'setups' are you talking about? If you're referring to the personal viewer headset displays? Those are more complex to build requiring complicated optics and of course are high end enthusiast devices sold at marked up prices. The VR headsets are going for cheaper, less complicated lens using software tricks to distort the image to fit the eye, and are only single panel. Not to mention, the strategy of Sony with VR on PS4 is to make royalties on software leveraging cheaper entry hardware, something they can't do when it comes to movies.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
This should win the award for technical ignorance of the year, and its only March!

Thus far it's gettign very good reviews at GDC and many are excited for it, it even exceeds the Oculus Rift in some areas and specs are not final so undoubtedly they can increase screen resolution etc. as time goes by. Both Morpheus and Rift are in development looking to release in 2015.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
They would be wise to cut "V.R." out of anything they try to do with this. It carries a bad product ending moniker.

Or you can just personally not buy it and let others enjoy it.

XerBlade wrote:
Anyway, so, Sony copying yet another idea that Nintendo put into practice first?

Virtua Boy was not a VR headset. It attempted fixed stereoscopic 3-D which wasn't very good either.

Given GDC demos, Move could likely prove very good as a VR controller in conjunction with Morpheus.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Toester_Strudel wrote:
The 3D TV's didn't exactly work out for them before.

In large part because many potential buyers were quite flummoxed by the loudest voice in the 1080>>>720 sphere kept putting out lower resolution options. At least now they will definitely be stepping up to FullHD, sure 4K would be nice, but at least they hit an acceptable foundation level.

Though hoping this isn't just the bargin-bin option jdnation mentions, because the PVRs weren't that nice to begin with.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
Here's the early specs:

Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
While rarely this proyects turn the way they are expected I still want to see in what it results, specially that at times this results in other advances in technology besides the original product.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
jdnation did you get your Oculus Dev kit yet? If so, have you put it together?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2