• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces 3rd Round of Attack on Titan Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Enough with the foreplay, Funi! Tell us who's going to voice Eren and Miska?
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Wikipedia already says Maxey will be Armin, but that's just Wikipedia. Someone who really wants that must have edited it.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
Wikipedia already says Maxey will be Armin, but that's just Wikipedia. Someone who really wants that must have edited it.

On Maxey's page?
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Miyanoai wrote:

On Maxey's page?

Yes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxey_Whitehead
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Now this is interesting! Though I wish David Matranga was Jean, Mike just can't voice a teen like David sometimes IMO. But this can be good. Even though spoiler[Bertholt is the least impressive looking character, yet he somehow gets the biggest plot twist] He at least gets to voice a character that is paramount to the story for a S2 or futher. KICK IT DAVID!!!!

And good ol Jessica Calvello as Hange!? I thought she would make a wonderful sasha, but both her and Hange are both wierd in their own right. Shasha is a young wierdo while Hange is an old school wierd scientist. Showing us how Ashly Burch is a newcomer in ADR while Jessica paves the way of awesomness to show how a crazy actress can perform to a T!

.......IMO Laughing

Matthew Mercer as Levi?

A pretty risky move since his perfomance as Kanji was flat along with him voicing alot more adult roles than clean freak teens.

I always imagined him voice by Jay Hickman. Wierd no?

Pleas let the first 2 round of casts be the only thing negative, cause this is round is feeling like a big posotive![/spoiler]
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Levi sounds a lot deeper than I expected him to be, but other than that I have no qualms with his voice actor.

From the other clip Sasha's voice actress sounds good, but the voice actress for Hange would have made a good Sasha too. But they're both eccentric characters and their voices fit, so again I have no qualms.

I'm really interested in who is going to play the main trio. I've heard rumors of Mikasa being played by Laura Bailey but that's just rumors.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Yup, and it goes both ways too - somehow or another, Chris Sabat wound up playing Garland in Dissidia

Square Enix is a sort of a stickler for Japanese/American voice actor synergy. Sabat got whatever FF character Garland is because he had the same actor as Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist. Another example is Kirk Thornton, who got Saix in Kingdom Hearts because the same Japanese actor was Jin in Samurai Champloo(but Thornton is in LA, anyway, so it's not that crazy).

I think the ultimate answer, as others have said, is just opportunity and networking in such a niche field that is anime voice-over. One has to wonder what they're paying Mercer to have him come to Texas.
kazume

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
Z-Raid wrote:

I'm really interested in who is going to play the main trio. I've heard rumors of Mikasa being played by Laura Bailey but that's just rumors.

As much of a fanboy of Laura Bailey as I am... I don't see a good fit for her playing Mikasa... it just doesn't mesh right in my head I guess.

Her Tohru Honda (Fruits basket) and her Lust (Full metal Alchemist) voices are the two that really stick out for me as her most obvious "oh yeah, that's her" defining works and you can easily pin-point those out in anything else she does at least a huge majority of the time and to me those so do not sound like "Mikasa."

If she has a third one in there somewhere that I'm not aware of and she's just waiting to unleash it on the dub-world for all of us to go "oh &^%$ that's 100% Mikasa" then by all means bring on Laura Bailey ^ ^
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
Having started up Funi's free trial to hear the dubs, I'm pretty okay with most of the choices. Jean is kind of a toss up, since he sounds a little too old, but hopefully that'll work itself out. Conny sounds a little strained, but I'll chalk that up to just being an early episode. Hange and Sasha are spot-on, but Levi is a mixed bag for me. I like Mercer's voice, but to me, he sounds too heroic for Levi; I expected a quieter, more "whispery" voice, kind of like Liam O'Brien's voice without that sing-song lilt in it.

I got a chuckle out of Matranga. I liked him in Chevalier D'Eon and Orphen, but does Bertholdt even have any lines? Anime hyper

I'm really looking forward to see who voices Annie! I'm pretty sure Armin will be fine, since women playing boys in dubs seems to have gotten better in recent years. Not sure who I'd pick to play Eren and Mikasa, though. I've been pretty MIA in the dub scene recently. ^^;
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Mikasa is voiced by Trina Nishimura~

I just saw the new clip and I like it Very Happy

so tomorrow we get to see finally Eren and Armin, or maybe just Armin(?)
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Is it wrong I am fangirling Matt Mercer being Levi despite not really being familiar with his other dubs in actuality but because he's well known to the UK anime con community and he's a blinking AWESOME con-guest? I mean he's up for anything MC-ing, partying with the fans, everything. There is a tradition over here now of getting him in a dress whenever he is in the UK.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Is it wrong I am fangirling Matt Mercer being Levi despite not really being familiar with his other dubs in actuality but because he's well known to the UK anime con community and he's a blinking AWESOME con-guest? I mean he's up for anything MC-ing, partying with the fans, everything. There is a tradition over here now of getting him in a dress whenever he is in the UK.

LOL, they're totally going to make him do or say some of those Levi lines then in the future.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:

LOL, they're totally going to make him do or say some of those Levi lines then in the future.

Probably!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2