• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Offers Toradora! Blu-rays With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Whaaaat??? This is the NISA title that seemed perfect for a dub, and it actually gets one; sweet. I wanted Funimation to do the dub (provided it was possible), but I am pre-ordering the premium edition because Toradora! is one of my favorite anime series, I want to support NISA's efforts, it has BD's and a dub will make it easier to watch 25 episodes.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
My response when I saw the banners for this upon loading ann this morning: Shocked

Anyways, great news. Toradora was a great series, but I missed out on the original premium editions, so now I have another chance to get a nice set of the series. Yay!
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
I did a double-take when I read the headline.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
Cool! Blu-Ray alone would not have been enough to double up (I own the premium sets), but a dub and the ova make it worth it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Oh my there dubbing now maybe they dub Love Live
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Sweet! Now maybe I'll be able to order the older version for cheap on Right Stuf, hehe

Actually, I'd guess that you will be able to get a pretty good price for the older versions on the secondary market; hell, I might consider selling mine when I upgrade, as even though I like the box art on the original premium editions, those boxes don't fit well at all on already-crowded shelves.

And I'm not surprised at all to hear that it is, by far, NISA's top-selling title. It's certainly amongst the cream of the crop as anime romantic dramedies go, with better characters and sharper writing than almost any of its competitors, and made both Carl's and my lists as one of the top overall releases of 2010 - and that was probably the top year in the last decade for quality anime releases in the States, too. If you haven't seen it yet, it's well worthy of a look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well...now I'm waiting for all their anime to get the dub treatment
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a romance person, so I'll skip this...

But it does give me hope that we'll see a Natsume's Book of Friends seasons 1/2 Blu-Ray release! I've been holding out for awhile now.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see which titles they'll go back and give the dub treatment to.

More than any other title in their catalog, I think Pandora Hearts deserves a dub the most. It always bothered me that characters living in an obviously European setting were restricted to speaking only in Japanese.

It'll also be interesting to see if they decide to debut new shows with dubs already, or if they decide to take the route of only dubbing the shows that sold well for them originally. Like I said before, I really hope that they go back and get the original voice cast for Genshiken Second Season if they decide to dub it from the get-go.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Wooo, trailer is out!

http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=ap&aid=toradora&pfile=spec.php

Hey, this sounds pretty good so far!
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I'm not a romance person, so I'll skip this...
I'm not a "romance person" either, but I appreciate quality work, which is it what this show is.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I think Toradora! is being dubbed because, like others have already mentioned, it has been a great seller for NISA. I honestly do not expect to see older NISA releases get a dub mostly because the majority of the titles are niche. Toradora! is a very special that could become a mainstream success with a dub.

Perhaps future NISA releases like the critically acclaimed The Eccentric Family could get a dub, but I think it is a too niche title. Only time will tell. I think seeing more dubs in NISA releases would be a positive thing. I hope they are smart about it because they are a niche company with nowhere near the level of market penetration a Funimation has.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Didn't they state at a con last year that they were considering looking into dubbing shows?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the dub trailer over at NIS. Sounds good to me. I would have gotten it anyway for the BD, but the dub is nice too.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Wooo, trailer is out!

http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=ap&aid=toradora&pfile=spec.php

Hey, this sounds pretty good so far!

Ami and Minori sound very good in that clip, and Ryuji sounds good enough. As for Taiga? I'll want to hear more before making a judgment, as that was always going to be the most difficult role to redo in a dub.

But the real question is, who's going to dub Inko-chan?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8