• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Nature Always Wears the Colors of the Spirit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I was one of the last few people who got in the line but I have to say how they handled Yoko Kanno was way more organized than Otakon's usual autograph policy. They left the line open outside and the first 100 people to get in got their tickets. As long as you lined up early you were good, there was no the usual shoving and stampede to get in the autograph line (although that one I've kind of mastered after doing it for so many years, it's never pleasant).

Well, that's certainly an improvement from their line up for the concert tickets. I assume you were part of that mob, as was I, where they wouldn't let anyone line up early and actually thought that they could coerce/threaten people to leave the area, so when they finally said "Ok, the line is now open" there was all the pushing and shoving to get in. I just assumed that the autograph line was going to be more of the same, so I didn't bother. On the other hand, I also am only willing to sit in lines for hours for only so many things, and on that first day I had already spent hours waiting on the concert tickets, Oreimo world premier, and Fushimi autograph session, so on the day her autograph session tickets went up, I was largely queued out. Plus I was cosplaying that day, and I wanted some time to just wander around and have my picture taken. And seeing as I was stopped for probably around 200 pictures throughout the day, I'd say I was in a bit of high demand Smile
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:

Oh my goodness, were you at that 4:00 screening on 23rd Street? I got the 6:30 one. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes. Watching Wolf Children for the first time with him there was an absolutely amazing experience. Not bad for my first festival...hope there will be more good times this year with Patema Inverted.

Yes I went to the earlier showing. And yeah even if I didn't get an autograph just being able to watch Wolf Children with Hosoda and hear him talk about it was an amazing experience.

Sadly I don't think I will be making it back for this festival.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I haven't noticed any yellowing in my manga. But then, I sort of seal it up in containers, so maybe that helps.

I always thought that the point of getting an autograph, especially for such a niche thing as Japanese animation, was it was a reminder of being in the presence of the people you admired. It showed that you indeed met them. This is why I can't just have somebody get an autograph for me or buy something autographed unless it was something I got autographed myself. I mean, I would probably accept something like that as a gift, but the ones that mean the most are the ones you stood in line for.

In 2002, I had a Cowboy Bebop movie poster signed by Shinichiro Watanabe, Toshihiro Kawamoto, and Yoko Kanno, at the BAAF, where they premiered the English dub for the Cowboy Bebop movie. If I hadn't been there, at the premiere, sharing that moment with the people who made my favorite anime, an autograph wouldn't mean as much. I wasn't getting it to be certified or make a profit off it at some far flung time. I had it framed because it's just this really cool memento of that time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I haven't noticed any yellowing in my manga. But then, I sort of seal it up in containers, so maybe that helps.

I always thought that the point of getting an autograph, especially for such a niche thing as Japanese animation, was it was a reminder of being in the presence of the people you admired. It showed that you indeed met them. This is why I can't just have somebody get an autograph for me or buy something autographed unless it was something I got autographed myself. I mean, I would probably accept something like that as a gift, but the ones that mean the most are the ones you stood in line for.

In 2002, I had a Cowboy Bebop movie poster signed by Shinichiro Watanabe, Toshihiro Kawamoto, and Yoko Kanno, at the BAAF, where they premiered the English dub for the Cowboy Bebop movie. If I hadn't been there, at the premiere, sharing that moment with the people who made my favorite anime, an autograph wouldn't mean as much. I wasn't getting it to be certified or make a profit off it at some far flung time. I had it framed because it's just this really cool memento of that time.

I largely agree, although I do have two autographs that I bought. The first one was I bought a banner autographed by all the guests at Anime Boston 2010 at their charity auction. I bid on it because Nobuo Uematsu was a guest there, and due to BS shenanigans I was unable to get his autograph through conventional means.

The second, coincidentally was also in 2010 except this time at Anime Expo when at their charity auction I bought a CD signed by Yui Horie and Eri Kitamura whom NISA had brought to promote their first ever release, Toradora. Again, this was because despite standing in line at two different autograph sessions, and getting pretty close at the second, I wasn't able to get an autograph through traditional measures. But, in both cases, I was there, I attended the guests panels and got to see them in person, so the autographs, while technically paid for (the money did go to good causes at least) were also mementos for me of the experience of meeting them even if it wasn't quite as personal as standing in front of them stammering out something awkward that they probably couldn't understand very well while they signed something for me.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
I went through a period (had money to spend) of buying from the Mandarake English-language auctions & had a lot of fun getting sketches & work-sheets, all sorts of stuff.

I saw an original Black Jack manga (autographed by Tezuka) & bid on it & was bidding against Japanese buyers & finally won it at US$300 or so. This was around 2002.

I know there is a chance it is a fake but I wanted to get an original 10yen Tezuka manga anyway & maybe the sig is real Cool

Nico M
London
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

I largely agree, although I do have two autographs that I bought. The first one was I bought a banner autographed by all the guests at Anime Boston 2010 at their charity auction. I bid on it because Nobuo Uematsu was a guest there, and due to BS shenanigans I was unable to get his autograph through conventional means.

The second, coincidentally was also in 2010 except this time at Anime Expo when at their charity auction I bought a CD signed by Yui Horie and Eri Kitamura whom NISA had brought to promote their first ever release, Toradora. Again, this was because despite standing in line at two different autograph sessions, and getting pretty close at the second, I wasn't able to get an autograph through traditional measures. But, in both cases, I was there, I attended the guests panels and got to see them in person, so the autographs, while technically paid for (the money did go to good causes at least) were also mementos for me of the experience of meeting them even if it wasn't quite as personal as standing in front of them stammering out something awkward that they probably couldn't understand very well while they signed something for me.

I don't usually buy autographs either and I would never buy an autograph off E-bay for example. But I have bought items off people's personal websites that they have signed. The cost is usually negligible too.

Although I usually only do this for people who are getting older and who I think I may not have the opportunity to meet. I have never done this for Japanese celebrities. And yes I do prefer getting that face to face contact with a guest.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
Ensof wrote:
As for binding, the worst example is again from Viz - the first edition of the first volume of Battle Angel Alita fell apart the first time I read it. ... More recently the binding on the Infinity Studios releases of Blood Alone simply disintegrated when I re-read them a couple of years ago. The paper and ink used for them was as good as I've seen in a manga, so it's a bit odd that they stinted on the glue.
You can fix the problem of loose chunks fairly simply using PVA wood glue, cheap from any hardware shop. Just squeeze a line (not too much) along the gap in the spine, then put the loose pages in (making sure they align with the book properly), close the book and put something on it to keep it properly shut. Some glue will seep out the top and bottom when you close the book, so wipe this off (carefully, pulling toward the spine). I'd recommend putting a strip of plastic sheet (e.g. book-covering plastic) on either side of the loose section, to stop the glue bleeding and sticking too much of the pages together. In half a day the glue should be pretty well cured, and you're good to go.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Maybe the Urusei Yatsura one was a bad example, as it's printed on pretty nice quality paper stock (the original English edition, not the omnibus reprint, which I also have).

Here's maybe a more "typical" example of an older manga volume in my collection, the first volume of the French edition of Kimagure Orange Road, published in 1998 (and I got it pretty much as soon as it first arrived on manga racks in Montreal), printed on cheap newsprint.

Even taking into account the cheaper paper, it's really only a touch more yellow than the Urusei Yatsura volume I posted earlier, mostly around the edges of the pages.

I see you have a good taste in classics :)

I bought the first two volumes of KOR from the same french publisher around the same time and they haven't gotten too yellow either. My french volumes of Video Girl Ai on the other hand, which were published by Tonkam in 1994/5, became quite yellow after a few years. They were printed on very cheap paper.

When I lived in Japan, some manga became yellow around the edges quite fast (after 3-6 months). Humidity and exposure to light took its toll. I even rebought some volumes because the yellow edges kept me from immersing myself fully into the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
hey Justin, you have intrigued me with your talk of buying a projector, could you tell me also what kind of screen you bought?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3