• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toriko Anime to End on March 30 After 3 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Toriko had good ratings compared to almost every other TV anime, but had poor ratings compared to its timeslot. Even worse, the merchandise sales weren't any good. Given the Twitter account didn't say this was a hiatus, I kind of doubt Toriko returns.

I would of said the same thing about Fairy Tail but that came back so we'll see.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE tell me this means the end of those godawful One Piece crossovers with it. No Toei, I am not going to care about your new show no matter how much you try to make me.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Toriko is awesome, its sad that it can't seem to find an audience.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I've been following Toriko since the day it started airing and loved almost every episode. I think the 2013 movie was a risk and unfortunately it didn't pay off and it resulted in low quality animation throughout the later episodes.

It's too bad to see it go, but I have a feeling Toei isn't giving up just yet and will continue it later. Hopefully with better animation and less censors, but we'll see. Perhaps I'll go read the manga too.

I am planning to buy the FUNi DVD's too, I hope they'll continue distributing the rest of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeonZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
PLEASE tell me this means the end of those godawful One Piece crossovers with it. No Toei, I am not going to care about your new show no matter how much you try to make me.

Maybe now we'll get Dragonball crossovers...
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
It's always a shame to see something that's been running for so long, end. Especially when it was in the top ratings! I imagine it finally caught up to the manga, I'm certain it will be back at some point.

That's basically it. At first I was sad, then I realized that taking a break is MUCH better than going on an 80 episode filler arc like a certain other Shonen show...

Or you could just not watch the filler. Filler doesn't lower a good show by much
illmatic19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if you're the lead-in for One Piece you're going to have pretty good ratings no matter what.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
It's always a shame to see something that's been running for so long, end. Especially when it was in the top ratings! I imagine it finally caught up to the manga, I'm certain it will be back at some point.

That's basically it. At first I was sad, then I realized that taking a break is MUCH better than going on an 80 episode filler arc like a certain other Shonen show...

Or you could just not watch the filler. Filler doesn't lower a good show by much

If the filler is the majority of the series (original Naruto, Bleach), it does.
kamina170

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
now that i think about it, after DB Kai ends will Sailor Moon take its timeslot?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Toriko was the victim of inflated expectations. By any objective account it got very good ratings, certainly higher than those of a lot of shows which survived much longer. But that just wasn't good enough. Toei doesn't just want a successful show. It wants a massive, worldwide, genre-defining franchise.

Look at the huge push they gave Toriko. It replaced Dragon Ball Kai in its timeslot. Its premiere episode was a crossover with One Piece. Then a year later, they upped the ante, doing a three-way crossover with Toriko, OP and Dragon Ball. There's a clear message being sent there: we expect Toriko to reach the same level of success as these two shows. Nothing less will do.

But you can't just manufacture a smash hit at the level of DBZ or OP. DB was the most successful anime/manga franchise of the 80's and 90's. OP is the most successful of the 2000's and 2010's (so far). That's a hell of a tough act to follow.

Toei is planning ahead, looking for another huge hit to sustain them once One Piece eventually ends. They thought it would be Toriko, and when it turned out to be just a really popular anime as opposed to a massive smash, they pulled the plug.

It'll be interesting to see what they turn to next after Kai's Buu Saga ends.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
kamina170 wrote:
now that i think about it, after DB Kai ends will Sailor Moon take its timeslot?

No, the new Sailor Moon series is set to premiere in July. This new batch of Dragon Ball Kai episodes should run for at least a year.
depsy roll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
guys dont panic, the toriko anime will just go on hiatus because the anime almost caught up with the maga.

when dbzkai buu saga ends , toriko will be back.

and its the fault of TOEI animation, if they had followed the manga and put gore, blood in anime, with no filler character and good animation. Then the sales would be very good.
jutabant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The anime is defiantly ending for good, I just watched the newest episode and they completely changed it from the manga(it had toriko and starjun teaming up against Joa while saving jirou lofl). The good news is they will probably reboot it at some point and we will get an anime that more closely follows the manga.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Look at the huge push they gave Toriko. It replaced Dragon Ball Kai in its timeslot. Its premiere episode was a crossover with One Piece. Then a year later, they upped the ante, doing a three-way crossover with Toriko, OP and Dragon Ball.

Correction: it was 2 years later, there was a second Toriko/One Piece crossover that aired the year before that one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2