• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Grade Schoolers Vote on Their Favorite Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's surprising, nice to see Kuroko is #1 despite one haters sending threats and all. But I like their choice and taste in their anime selection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Tiggyz wrote:
fuzzytipsy wrote:
The only title there that really surprises me is Oreimo

It surprised that it made the list since I think that anime is more directed to adult male audience but I could be wrong

The LN brand that publishes it focuses on the Shonen demographic (13-18 Males)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I decided to go straight to the Japanese page to confirm this was just elementary school children. Let me translate:

1st place (with 37 votes): Kuroko's Basketball.
2nd place (with 32 votes): Inazuma
3rd place (with 20 votes): Sword Art Online
4th place (with 13 votes): OreImo
5th place (with 11 votes): Ouran Host Club, Gintama (tie)
6th place (with 10 votes): Magi
7th place (with 8 votes): Prince of Tennis, Soul Eater (tie)
8th place (with 7 votes): Attack on Titan, Aikatsu (tie)
9th place (with 6 votes): Haganai
10th place (with 4 votes): Danboru Senki Wars

Followed by dozens of other series with fewer votes. 282 votes in total. And people were allowed to vote more than once. This poll is completely unscientific and most likely unrepresentative.

That said, given that older elementary school children are more likely to be on an online forum and filling out a poll, I'm not completely shocked by some of the answers.

When I worked in Japan, the really young kids were all into One Piece and Pokemon, but by the time they were in upper elementary school, yes, they'd moved on. They still followed One Piece, but it was no longer their favorite. Inazuma was popular with boys, Kuroko with girls. One of my fifth graders said Evangelion was his favorite anime of all time. So there definitely are kids with more mature tastes. Nothing listed here would be considered inappropriate for teenagers in Japan.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Attack on Titan...GRADE SCHOOLERS?!

Why not? The society they live in is unique just like every other society children live in. The stuff children watch in the U.S. would give some of the adults in Japan the same reaction.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why people are shocked about Attack on Titan. It IS a Shonen, and Shonen anime are popular with boys in Japan.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Not sure why people are shocked about Attack on Titan. It IS a Shonen, and Shonen anime are popular with boys in Japan.

Shonen is a spectrum running from elementary through high school. The magazine Attack on Titan is published in leans towards the older end of that (it also carried Flowers of Evil and Sankarea, among others), but I could definitely see fifth and sixth graders getting into it.

Anime tend to be watched by children younger than the target demo of the manga, btw. That's why quite a few of them edit some things slightly for TV.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Japanese grade schoolers recently voted on their favorite anime.

The poll was conducted on a grade school-only forum on mb2.jp.

Though Ms Dong has said, 'Japanese grade schoolers recently voted' and 'The poll was conducted on a grade school-only forum' and the forum says, 'Elementary School Students' Message Board,' actually, anyone can post messages on the Möbius Ring Fora. In fact, I have seen vippers jokingly post messages on the Möbius Ring Fora, including the Elementary School Student Message Board. And people vote anime which they like more than once in the thread, and even the first place received only 37 votes as of writing this. Probably it is better not to think that is a result of academically reliable and accurate social research or something.

Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
yey for Kuroko~
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Attack on Titan...GRADE SCHOOLERS?!

Why not?...Every-danged-body ELSE is watching it! Confused
(No, seriously, what's going on??)

vashfanatic wrote:
That said, given that older elementary school children are more likely to be on an online forum and filling out a poll, I'm not completely shocked by some of the answers.

When I worked in Japan, the really young kids were all into One Piece and Pokemon, but by the time they were in upper elementary school, yes, they'd moved on. They still followed One Piece, but it was no longer their favorite. Inazuma was popular with boys, Kuroko with girls. One of my fifth graders said Evangelion was his favorite anime of all time. So there definitely are kids with more mature tastes. Nothing listed here would be considered inappropriate for teenagers in Japan.

I'm assuming Pokemon:Classic (ie. the '99 Ash & Pikachu version that springs to mind for most of us) suffered the same fate there as in the US:
Once you get out of sixth grade and discover your fourth-grade little brother and his friends have just introduced each other to the craze and are into it....that's all, brother!--Might as well be watching Barney! It's officially been stigma'ed, and you're into the next craze, usually the one the older junior-high kids are into.
One Piece never really had that problem over here, since fewer little kids watch Cartoon Network.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Japanese grade schoolers recently voted on their favorite anime.

The poll was conducted on a grade school-only forum on mb2.jp.

Though Ms Dong has said, 'Japanese grade schoolers recently voted' and 'The poll was conducted on a grade school-only forum' and the forum says, 'Elementary School Students' Message Board,' actually, anyone can post messages on the Möbius Ring Fora. In fact, I have seen vippers jokingly post messages on the Möbius Ring Fora, including the Elementary School Student Message Board. And people vote anime which they like more than once in the thread, and even the first place received only 37 votes as of writing this. Probably it is better not to think that is a result of academically reliable and accurate social research or something.

I was going to flag this as well, but you beat me to it. I take this with a grain of salt and you all should as well. When the birth rate is so critically low that some villages schools have closed due to having no children to go to it at all, and the local hospitals have closed their maternity wards because there are no mothers giving birth there, showing kids echii would be a stratagy to try and change that, though a rather crude and desperate one, and if this poll were a true statistic it is also saying a stratagy like this is clearly not working anyway. Wink
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Tiggyz wrote:
fuzzytipsy wrote:
The only title there that really surprises me is Oreimo

It surprised that it made the list since I think that anime is more directed to adult male audience but I could be wrong

Oreimo really surprised me too. While not obviously adult like other harem type animes this one is still adult and centres around a theme of incest.
Ginsan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
There are so much wrongs in this imo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2