• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Girls und Panzer Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
episode 8, right after Katyusha threatens to send her team to the tundra should they loose. Pravda is moving in formation in the snow
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Can someone tell me exactly - like, we're talking episode number and time stamp - where this change was supposedly done? Now I want to go back and look at it again tonight and see if I notice anything odd if I do know that something was changed.

The moment when Korobushka starts in Episode 8 on Sentai's release to the shot of the Ooarai tanks moving through the snow was cut from the simulcast. About 56 seconds. From 13:13 to 14:10.

Last edited by Asrialys on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Here's the original scene including the lead-in and all that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXK5iD_ELs
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
One thing about the series I didn't understand, why did yukari not like to be called montgomery, the british commander who led the d-day invasion.

instead she preferred to be called guderian who was the nazi commander and wrote a book on tank battle tactics.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Because some argue Montgomery was not as great of a commander as he is built up to be. One battle made him, and that was El Alimein, where he had tremendous logistical and numerical superiority over his enemy (where as some would argue no one but a total incompetent would have not won that battle).

Also, the disaster in Market Garden was kinda his fault.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
One thing about the series I didn't understand, why did yukari not like to be called montgomery, the british commander who led the d-day invasion.

instead she preferred to be called guderian who was the nazi commander and wrote a book on tank battle tactics.

You could consult some historical texts and read for context or you can do what I did and just watch the movie Patton. Patton and Bradley, fellow allied tank generals, thought he was more of a grandstander who had to be painted as a great war hero for the morale of the British. Rommel ... wanted to know what Patton was up to.

Quote:
I didn't notice anything awkward or out-of-place at all, so I think it's only "awkward" for those who have seen it the original way.

You didn't think it was odd that those two girls had their heads out of the tanks, in the cold with a wind chill, when they didn't even need to be seen or see?

Also, I never saw the scene myself in context, only heard about it later through youtube.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac
You have Japanese girls in tanks fighting in Siberia. There is so much unreal stuff there that the two having their heads out of the tanks is a minor thing not a problem.

It would have been better if the original version had been available. It is not to be so all we can do is accept it. If the Japanese original had been the same as our version no one would have thought twice about it. In any case the original is available on You Tube when ever you want to see it. There is even a 10 hour version if you can handle that.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
Okay, I watched the scene in question that comes on the BR release and the original scene that Fencedude linked to, and. . . wow, that's what you guys are making such a big deal about?

While I will agree that the original song was cute fun, in no way does it stand out as so special that the series is diminished for it being replaced. (One of the highlights of the series? Really?) And given that the series adores showing scenes of tank movement, showing the scene without the song does not feel out of place to the uninitiated like me and the music used for the BR release is certainly in line with musical numbers that the series uses elsewhere.

So yeah, you'll get no agreement from me that replacing the song was a big deal.

Last edited by Key on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:
Because some argue Montgomery was not as great of a commander as he is built up to be. One battle made him, and that was El Alimein, where he had tremendous logistical and numerical superiority over his enemy (where as some would argue no one but a total incompetent would have not won that battle).

Also, the disaster in Market Garden was kinda his fault.

Allied generals were competing to each other. If you read what Montgomery has said about Patton, Bradley or Eisenhower or what Patton has said about Bradley or Montgomery or what Brooke has said about all of them, you'd get an impression that there were no competent generals among Allied forces.

I think Montgomery has a bad reputation more because he was ambitious and full of himself.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

So yeah, you'll get no agreement from me that replacing the song was a big deal.

I'm just shocked. Really.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
And, I'm amazed that you think it is that special.

Of course, I was watching much more for the tanks than for the girls being cute, so maybe that has something to do with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess you could says that it's further example of how all these JAPANESE schools (and their entire base?) and students take on the persona of the country/culture they've adopted. It goes beyond looking, eating, and driving the part.
MyssaRei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Key"]And, I'm amazed that you think it [i]is[/i] that special.[/quote]

For those who watched it live, it WAS special. Pretty much the highlight of that particular episode, actually.

It's about the context. We have a squad of Soviet machines rumbling across the tundra, led by a diminutive leader who leads said squad in singing a World-War 2 era [i][b]war song.[/b][/i] And sung in functional Russian by a known Russophile (Uesaka Sumire is actually taking the language as her major).

Last edited by MyssaRei on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
MyssaRei wrote:
Key wrote:
And, I'm amazed that you think it is that special.

For those who watched it live, it WAS special. Pretty much the highlight of that particular episode, actually.

It's about the context. We have a squad of Soviet machines rumbling across the tundra, led by a diminutive leader who leads said squad in singing a World-War 2 era war song. And sung in functional Russian by a known Russophile (Uesaka Sumire is actually taking the language as her major).

Wow, didn't even know that - the more you know!

It's too bad they couldn't have had the VAs come in to sing a different song, but I'm guessing that would have been way too cost/time prohibitive considering how busy these VAs usually are for such a small return.
MyssaRei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
It's too bad they couldn't have had the VAs come in to sing a different song, but I'm guessing that would have been way too cost/time prohibitive considering how busy these VAs usually are for such a small return.

The Japanese producers essentially got the use of Katyusha (yes, Katyusha singing Katyusha, we're missing her riding a Katyusha) for free from the people holding the copyright in Russia. Ditto for the Cossack's Lullaby.

The problem of course, is the fact that, in the US, someone else holds the copyright, and it won't return to the public domain for at least another year. Hence when it aired on Crunchyroll the scene was cut outright.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7