• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chernin Group Purchases Majority Stake in Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Depends on how much money Chernin is willing to throw around. He's apparently got some connections in Asia from his time at Fox/News Corp, so he might be able to call in a few favors to nudge some in-development content to CR's benefit.

Creating new shows wholesale, though? That's going to take a much bigger financial commitment, and there's nothing substantial to go on so far that suggests he would do that.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Micro_Ice wrote:
I hope by expanding they'll add a digital music store, for full anime OPs/EDs/OST and the like.

I don't know if that will happen, Japan will not allow majority of J-pop on Itunes as Answerman said. Japan doesn't really embrace the internet unlike Taiwan and South Korea does. That's why it's hard to find J-pop on Itunes and on Youtube.

There's a heck of a lot more J-Pop on iTunes Japan than there is over here (albeit last I was aware it was all still DRMd rather than iTunes+). There's an anime music category you can actually browse over there (try here and you just get redirected to the top of the store).

(apparently I started this reply some time yesterday but never actually submitted it)

Pangea wrote:
I just hope they don't taint the website with some other shit than anime

Oh no! Next thing we know they'll be doing drama, manga, music videos and interest programming like Culture Japan and Otakuverse Zero!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
This could mean very bad things in the future for online anime.

One can hope for the best though. CR is a well run working web site currently one wonders what that next level will be and how it will affect the user experience.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
This is a consequence of Crunchyroll's dramatic expansion these last few years and all indications are it is going to continue right along that trajectory. Nothing about this resembles bad news. At all.

I would remind all doomsayers that Crunchyroll has flourished and been the big player in streaming anime even as it doubled down on live action drama series. This idea that the site will suffer or cease being pure somehow if it (further) expands its offerings beyond anime is just flat out ridiculous. There's no zero sum game here.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
That was not what I meant by bad.

I have been also reading the news of the investor in other sections of news not just anime or entertainment related. This same investor wanted to buy Hulu as well.

Its from hints you get while reading about how the investor behaves with purchased systems.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
That was not what I meant by bad.

I have been also reading the news of the investor in other sections of news not just anime or entertainment related. This same investor wanted to buy Hulu as well.

Its from hints you get while reading about how the investor behaves with purchased systems.

You're going to have to get very specific about what your concerns are here, because even after this explanation I don't at all see what the problem is supposed to be.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Micro_Ice wrote:
I hope by expanding they'll add a digital music store, for full anime OPs/EDs/OST and the like.

I don't know if that will happen, Japan will not allow majority of J-pop on Itunes as Answerman said. Japan doesn't really embrace the internet unlike Taiwan and South Korea does. That's why it's hard to find J-pop on Itunes and on Youtube.

There's a heck of a lot more J-Pop on iTunes Japan than there is over here (albeit last I was aware it was all still DRMd rather than iTunes+). There's an anime music category you can actually browse over there (try here and you just get redirected to the top of the store).

only some on US Itunes, I can't find AKB48 album on Itunes in the US, just only one AKB48 song from wreck it Ralph. I know Perfume's latest album is on there. Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is on there. Namie Amuro, and Ayumi Hamasaki is on Itunes. Koda Kumi is on there too. Others I could find:

-Morning Musume
-Berryz Kobo
-S/Mileage
-C-ute
-Buono!
-Passpo
-Namie Amuro
-Ayumi Hamasaki
-Koda Kumi
-Kana Nishino (only 1 song)
-Natsuko Aso
-AAA
-Faylan
-Megumi Nakajima

Yes that's all I could find on Itunes in the US. I'm not going to count anime songs on there. But the J-pop catalog on Itunes in the US is limited when K-pop catalog is much bigger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
Silly me, when you said "Japan will not allow majority of J-pop on Itunes" and "Japan doesn't really embrace the internet" I thought you were talking about the Japanese iTunes store.

If Crunchyroll were to add a digital music store and if they were granted access to even half of what is available on iTunes Japan, it would still be an improvement over what we have now.

I thought that was the point of this little discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Silly me, when you said "Japan will not allow majority of J-pop on Itunes" and "Japan doesn't really embrace the internet" I thought you were talking about the Japanese iTunes store.

If Crunchyroll were to add a digital music store and if they were granted access to even half of what is available on iTunes Japan, it would still be an improvement over what we have now.

I thought that was the point of this little discussion.

Yeah but Justin "Answerman" Servakis is still correct on the record label ignore the internet thing (that's why finding J-pop MVs is so hard on Youtube). I mean you don't see a lot of wi-fi hotspots in Japan. Japan has started to increase wi-fi hotspot for tourist only not for the whole public. While other Asian countries like Taiwan and Korea have already put up free wi-fi hotspots for the general public and tourists. I guess Japan still has a strong fear of piracy the problem is piracy can't be eliminated from this planet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaannndd we have another exquisite example of mdo7's muddy-headed thinking that would have you believe that all Japan is beholden to the desires of its media moguls, even as he simultaneously debunks it with his own links. Quick word of advice for you: stop using "Japan" to refer to everything and use more specific terms like "Japanese music industry" or "Japanese ISPs" or "Japanese government", etc, as appropriate; by ceasing to conflate these actors in your writing, you'll help yourself to stop mixing them up in your thinking.

So the Japanese embraced the mobile web, at the expense of the PC, to such a degree they didn't need Wifi hotspots until bandwidth became an issue. So some of the earliest hotspot services in the land of the rising sun have had privacy violations and security flaws. What the Sam hell does that have to do with piracy? Nothing! How is the Japanese music industry involved? It's not! Where's the connection to the changeophobia of said industry? There is none!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Aaaaannndd we have another exquisite example of mdo7's muddy-headed thinking that would have you believe that all Japan is beholden to the desires of its media moguls, even as he simultaneously debunks it with his own links. Quick word of advice for you: stop using "Japan" to refer to everything and use more specific terms like "Japanese music industry" or "Japanese ISPs" or "Japanese government", etc, as appropriate; by ceasing to conflate these actors in your writing, you'll help yourself to stop mixing them up in your thinking.

So the Japanese embraced the mobile web, at the expense of the PC, to such a degree they didn't need Wifi hotspots until bandwidth became an issue. So some of the earliest hotspot services in the land of the rising sun have had privacy violations and security flaws. What the Sam hell does that have to do with piracy? Nothing! How is the Japanese music industry involved? It's not! Where's the connection to the changeophobia of said industry? There is none!

Do you have evidence backing up your support, I've observed what's going on in Asia, and from what I've seen in Asia, other countries in Asia seem to be ahead of Japan in term of technology and IT/ICT. Japan may have internet, but it doesn't seem like it's fully embraced the same way that other Asian countries are using it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I did nothing but reiterate what the very articles you posted said.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

I'm not going to go off topic over this, you want to argue with me over my evidence and proof, I'll gladly do it over PM. Trust me, I observed what's going on in Asia, I know the stuff what's coming out of Asia. If you want to debate about it, do it over PM, I don't want to derail and go off topic.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

Don't waste your time and energy with mdo7. It's pointless. Rolling Eyes
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah but Justin "Answerman" Servakis is still correct on the record label ignore the internet thing (that's why finding J-pop MVs is so hard on Youtube).
I wonder if part of this is because music videos are often included on a "special" (read: more expensive) version of an CD release and therefore the label would not want it to be otherwise available to view (which would explain why many J-pop labels don't post the videos themselves and are more aggressive about getting them taken down on sites like YouTube). Gotta pay to see the full-length version of that video, y'know?

mdo7 wrote:
It's not only CR, Viki and Dramafever has difficult time getting J-dramas on their sites, I can find few J-dramas on those sites. I'm seeing more Taiwanese dramas being picked up for non-Asian audiences then J-dramas. I never understood why Japan never joined the drama craze when K-dramas got popular outside of Asia.
I think some of the dearth of licensed J-dramas is a Johnny's Entertainment thing. The ones I did manage to find on DramaFever & Crunchyroll seem to have one thing in common: No JE idols in the cast. And let's face it, many if not most of the really popular J-dramas feature at least one or more of them. For whatever reason though, they just don't wanna play ball (or maybe their asking price for the ball is way too high).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5