• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Friend of Director: Live-Action Lupin III Film to Modernize Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
To make Goemon better fit modern Japan, he is now an overworked salaryman and his weapon is an energy drink with lemon in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
penguin: Plus, he's a bleeping thief who works with a gang of thieves to break the law. That's what the Lupin gang does. If those hipster a-holes wanna play it safe, get the Japanese remake rights to Scooby Doo, instead. But yeah, it's like they're trying to actively compete with Hollywood in ruining an adaptation, now.

mgo: They can modernize it, since the anime does that already all the time. Just don't take away what makes it work.

thekings: I ain't giving up 'til the trailer, but that sounds ridiculous.

Cptn: You have a point. We'll see.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Changing Goemon? He's SUPPOSED to be an anachronism!

Modernizing the characters = Lupin III In Name Only
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like they're making the exact same mistakes as Lupin III: Strange Psycho-Kinetic Strategy.
A bait-and-switch with the Lupin name with little to no connection to the manga. That movie didn't have the guts to use Goemon either.
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Let me guess.

The Film's Goemon is going to be a Yakuza.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah as you can see folks, Japan too can mess up live-action adaptation of anime/manga. This isn't the first time:

-Negima live-action: Yeah the story deviate and I know that show got cancelled and the last episode has to be released on DVD. Also, I know Negi, Asuna, and Evangeline should've been played by non-Asian actors.

-Battle Royale 2: plot was confusing, and just doesn't make sense.

So yeah Japan can even mess up live-action adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
mdo: A live-action Negima's wrong in the first place. But if they were gonna make one, they sure as hell ain't going to risk going to jail putting underage teens in pervy situations like in the manga/anime. And Battle Royale 2 got screwed up by the director dying, and his son taking over, so it doesn't count. Plus, BR's based on a novel, and the manga came later.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
It is true that most Japanese live action adaptions of an anime or manga arent as good as the original. Though I have seen some that are watchable.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
It is true that most Japanese live action adaptions of an anime or manga arent as good as the original. Though I have seen some that are watchable.

Yeah if it's romantic drama, or a slice of life (with no sci-fi/fantasy) then it'll do well, the J-drama version of Itazura na Kiss is interesting and is close to the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Am I to understand that instead of a samurai, the Film version of Goemon is a blade wielding bodyguard for a certain criminal organization?
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
As long as he just want a more serious tone and not really alter the characters drastically its better.

Anime/maga adaptations turn out super ugly in live action when it involves comedy-action or x that only works in fiction, it would be a totally stupid movie otherwise merely for laughs, while lupin anime has countless comedy, it does get serious as well.

He has the right mindset in taking out that which would make his movie like that of one of jacki-chan´s stupid movies, he wants something more serious, more believable, its perfectly fine as long as the characters retain the personalities more or less, it can work but its tricky, Live action Lupin would look totally stupid and like a retard, more serious Lupin can work better, same as more serious Zenigata, not as stupid as the one some of the series, Zenigata/Lupin like the one in The woman called mine Fujiko can work better in Live action.

So the better adaptation would be the tone of The woman called Mine FUjiko or at least Green Jacket Lupin (the first series).

Red Jacket Lupin or Pink Jacket Lupin would not work that well, they are too comedy centered.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
The original live action had some memorible moments, but at times had some silly moments that I could deal with if it done in anime form. But in live action form it doesn't translate too well. As long as this new film doesn't go the same route as Dragonball Evolution did, and I don't need to mention the pet peeves that film had.

Last edited by E-Master on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Uh, the whole point of Goemon is that he's an anachronism. He was an anachronism when he was introduced decades ago.

/discussion. Goemon's dress was "nonsense" in 1967, when Lupin III started, unless there were 200 year old samurais still walking around back then. Definitely not interested in this movie anymore.

Also, if the director plans on going for a "darker" tone, I would think this would drive it away from the whole Lupin feel even more, which would probably make it just as bad if not worse than the 1974 movie.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Changing Goemon? He's SUPPOSED to be an anachronism!

And he was. In 1967. And 1967 is 46 years ago.

"Now" changes. And meaning exists in context, and meaning changes as context changes: meaning changes as time passes. Goemon doesn't mean what he used to mean.

It's not only Goemon who has this problem, of course. The entire traditional "lupin" experience is very much a product of its time, rooted in a time-and-place that isn't here-and-now. Film, of course, involves creating an experience of a fictional world, so it's possible to craft a world which evokes the spirit of the time the character was created for.
That's how they've been making the anime for years, after all. But it's a lot harder in live-action, no? Can't just draw things, you have to build them, or find them. Takes a decent amount of money and a very good production designer.

[essentially Goemon passed from "anachronistic" into "ridiculous" in the early eighties, I'd say: didn't matter, the world of the anime-and-manga could still be presented as the world of the late sixties no troubles. But for live-action it's harder.]
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
so this live action lupin gonig more modern version of it give update & etc of present time.

yea it's case in name only for this live action yep deja vu all over again since this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI0XvrmhLuM only different story just borrow the name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3