• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australia's Madman Ent: DBZ Kai's Buu Saga Should Come in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
The Japanese audience wanted a reboot with new animation, not a cheap and easy directors cut.
That's why they ended at the Cell arc, because the demand simply wasn't there for it in viewing figures and merchandise sales.

Wrong. The ratings were high, it even beat One Piece now and then. Kai had almost twice more viewers than Toriko has in the same timeslot.

The truth of the matter is that Kai didn't give Bandai an expected merchandise sales boost - the "Dragonball" name kept delivering the same amount of money, regardless of Kai. So Toei realized it was pointless to keep it going if they could use the timeslot for a current manga adaptation with new potential.
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
I think it could well but would need better graphics, the cell saga for me was okay and the earlier saga was cool but since This is my favorite sada I might it when they have it at my local Target
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
They're sure taking their sweet time. This was first confirmed over a year ago. I didn't think anyone still cared about Kai since it was yanked off of Nicktoons. I guess it's good to see it given some closure for at least on Vortexx. And what about that Ocean dub of Kai? We started hearing about that almost FOUR years ago. Even the UK is playing FUNi's dub...
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Please FUNi, put Bruce Faulconer's music in the Buu arc! The Japanese music (or lack of music in the case of DBZ) makes it dull.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Please FUNi, put Bruce Faulconer's music in the Buu arc! The Japanese music (or lack of music in the case of DBZ) makes it dull.

they go in to some court battle years ago, so that wont happen
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
took their time...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Fortunately, they don't do the abominable practice of replacement music anymore.

It's for the best, since Faulconer music is mostly dreck and has no place in anything DB/Z-related.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
^
Your hatred is blinding you, causing you to miss the point. It isn't a matter of which score is better or not; quality is irrelevant*. Given that Faulconer's score is how most English-speaking fans remember Dragonball Z, not including it is hugely detrimental to the nostalgia value of the release. And since nostalgia is the primary reason why fans would buy a two-decades-old mediocre children's show in the first place, leaving out such a critical component has to hurt sales. If it was legally and financially possible to include Faulconer's score then by gods they would.

That said, the music in the American version for Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation sounds heaps better than the music in the original Japanese version.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Your hatred is blinding you, causing you to miss the point. It isn't a matter of which score is better or not; quality is irrelevant*. Given that Faulconer's score is how most English-speaking fans remember Dragonball Z, not including it is hugely detrimental to the nostalgia value of the release. And since nostalgia is the primary reason why fans would buy a two-decades-old mediocre children's show in the first place, leaving out such a critical component has to hurt sales. If it was legally and financially possible to include Faulconer's score then by gods they would.

I love how anime fans argue how American replacement music is a cardinal sin in anime when such music, when composed properly, can help add to the scene instead of replacing it. Bruce Faulconer is a prime example of this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
It's not the intended music for the show, and therefore, doesn't belong.

Admittedly, with Kai it's a bit more complicated, since Yamamoto's score was stripped from it because of his plagiarism and replaced with Shunsuke Kikuchi's music from Z, but that was Toei's prerogative as the people who made the show. Funimation doesn't do replacement scores anymore, anyway, and Faulconer wouldn't work for them anymore, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

By your reasoning, all English dubs ever also don't belong and we should all learn fluent Japanese and watch anime the way it was intended.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I love how anime fans argue how American replacement music is a cardinal sin in anime when such music, when composed properly, can help add to the scene instead of replacing it. Bruce Faulconer is a prime example of this.

Oh, I agree. The Super Saiyan 3 transformation music is the biggest example for me at how replacement music can add to a scene, which is why I mentioned it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

By your reasoning, all English dubs ever also don't belong and we should all learn fluent Japanese and watch anime the way it was intended.

Apples and oranges. There's a difference between translating dialogue to a language a foreign audience can understand and replacing the entire musical score.

It's such a hypocritical argument, because DBZ is the only show that gets a pass for this because of nostalgia. If they did it to any other show there would be fan riots. Replacement scores are almost unheard of.

Faulconer's tepid droning tracks are inferior to Kikuchi's large orchestral sounds, anyway.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Apples and oranges. There's a difference between translating dialogue to a language a foreign audience can understand and replacing the entire musical score.

Apples and apples. Both are changes to the original show, making it different to how it was intended. Yet you're fine with one and not fine with the other.

Well, that said, you have never been happy with the fact that the English dubs exist in the first place. You go beyond disliking the English dubs. You outright idolise the original Japanese performances - which is fine I guess - but you treat them as insurmountable. As if they're the only way the show could possibly sound. I'd wager my beloved cat that if a really really really good English dub came along that kept Goku's adult voice as masculine - rather than the same girlish voice he's had since a child, like Masako Nozawa's Goku - then you'd still hate on it. Because it wouldn't sound exactly the same as the original.

penguintruth wrote:
It's such a hypocritical argument, because DBZ is the only show that gets a pass for this because of nostalgia. If they did it to any other show there would be fan riots. Replacement scores are almost unheard of.

Faulconer's tepid droning tracks are inferior to Kikuchi's large orchestral sounds, anyway.

Here's a piece of advice. If you don't like the English dub or Faulconer's score then you don't have to listen to them. It's not like Faulconer somehow erased the original Japanese score from existence when he made his own.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The Faulconer score is not the real score of the show. Period. Stop desperately looking for flaws in my character to justify the defacing of the show. It's sad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for proving my point.

Faulconer's score is not the original score of the show but it is the "real score" (to send your words back at you) for hundreds of thousands of people. Pretending it was legally possible, and assuming there was enough space on the discs, for what reason would his score not be included in a home video release of Dragonball Z Kai's Buu Saga? You not liking it is not a valid reason for leaving it off. Neither is the fact that it wasn't the original score, because then the English dub would have to be left off as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5