• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australia's Madman Ent. Stops Kill La Kill Streams After Leak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
rederoin wrote:
By typing in the url to the video. Atleast that is how it worked for Coppelion.

That's not "hacking", lol. And hard to blame anyone for doing so. It's not like someone broken into somewhere and stole something, it's like someone took photo of something briefly exposed to the public but quickly taken down so noone could see it. Well, too late.

Well, downloading it, yeah, but it's not just "one click" to then re-upload it to the internet as a torrent.
That's the act which is un-arguably criminal (although, also, inevitable).
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Now we know that Crunchyroll and Daisuki are going to pick up the slack for Australia and New Zealand so at least people can still watch it legally there.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Internet fandom at its finest.

Are you implying this wouldn't happen in any other fandoms?
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Internet fandom at its finest.

Are you implying this wouldn't happen in any other fandoms?

I'm unsure how it could... how are you going to distribute enough copies of a TV show in the week before it airs without the Internet? VHS copy chains and twelve-hundred-watt pirate TV stations can only do so much.

Anonymity for everyone involved plus effectively-infinite bandwidth (relative to the size of one TV episode) are requirements for this sort of asshattery to exist.

(If you just mean the commentary here, and not the piracy itself... then yes, the GIFT (NSFW) would apply to any anonymous medium where one has an audience... not that there's a lot of "letters to the editor" or CB radio or such in use anymore.)
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Your attitude seems to essentially give hackers a free pass, not on the merits of their actions but on the basis that "well there's so many of them".

That's not his attitude at all. He's simply saying those who compromised the video did so because there wasn't enough security in place, which shouldn't be an issue today.

This wasn't a nefarious weakness test. This was a simple replace and pull, which probably took all of 30 minutes to do. To put this in relation, the breach which recently occurred at Adobe took nearly a full year to implement.

No one's giving "high fives" to the infringing party, but it's difficult to justify sympathy for someone who decided to leave the front door unlocked and pretend there isn't a threat of unauthorized copying... in 2013.

Both parties have a responsibility here, but the worse offense wasn't the copying of the file.

It was the knee-jerk reaction of taking down the stream, which now punishes those who did nothing wrong. Contractually obligated or not, it's an unfair punishment to those who support the industry.

I'm aware there are some executives out there terrified of the internet, but news like this is only going to be received by fans as punishing those who are in charge, not those who did the offense.

You may not agree with this position, but it's a valid one to have.

If Adobe told me they'd be locking out my programs due to the recent breach, I'd be finding another alternative and Adobe would lose a customer.

If this is how today's businesses are running themselves, it's no wonder they're closing doors.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

My point was not that our security is fool proof, but that it's constructed in a way to minimize the possible damage from any attack; like any prudent net security. Even in the worst case scenario of a 100% server compromise the attackers would have to set up a spoof of the payment page to collect any CC data...
Tell that to Sony or any other number of large companies that instead keep people's passwords unhashed on their main server's databases, etc...
It seems like the problem here wasn't a determined attacker bent on stealing anime but rather a door left wide open for any shmoe with a browser to pick up.

And you'd know if someone rewrote the payment pages anyway because the design would suddenly improve!

You make it sound like a hacker would have to completely rewrite your payment pages, but that's not true. With root access, all they'd have to do is redirect the submission of the form data to a local script that sends the payment information to an e-mail account or a file on a different server. They could even make a man-in-the-middle hack and submit the form data to Stripe immediately afterwards, leaving everyone none-the-wiser that anything bad had taken place. The way you seem to be grossly under-estimating the power that root access would grant to a hacker on your system is starting to make me very uneasy about my donations so far.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
Your attitude seems to essentially give hackers a free pass, not on the merits of their actions but on the basis that "well there's so many of them".

That's not his attitude at all. He's simply saying those who compromised the video did so because there wasn't enough security in place, which shouldn't be an issue today.

No, they compromised the video because they were impatient, figured out a way to get something they wanted early, and took that extra step to become "internet heroes lulz" and distributed it illegally. Saying that they compromised the video because there wasn't enough security in place makes it sound like they have no personal motivations or responsibility for their own actions. It reflects the sort of "blame the victim" mentality that's been such a problem with the anime fandom's relation to the industry over the years --- "it's not our fault we compromised your security, if you had secured the video better we wouldn't have had to do it!"

That's not to say I don't agree with the sentiment that Madman Entertainment has a responsibility to do their best to protect their licenses from even the most basic of security breaches, which is what I suggested from my first post in the thread. But perspectives like this:

samuelp wrote:
Yes, it's strange to see people somehow blaming the "hackers" here... If they were somehow profiting from it, maybe I could see that, but they're not.

The party at fault here is the licenser who has failed to properly protect the content which they have licensed.

...I fundamentally disagree with. Unless samuelp wants to clarify himself here, he basically said that the people who compromised the video aren't at fault simply because they're not profiting from their mischief, and instead that it's entirely the fault of the licensor. To me, that's complete nonsense. It's one thing to say it's a sucky world and you need to protect yourself better, but to go that extra step and say that the 'hacker's' are completely blameless? That's an entirely irresponsible point of view.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
^
I think he was saying that while individual hackers are bad, hacking in general is like a force of nature; it's a given that someone somewhere is going to (try to) do it. Yes, if everyone was perfect then there would be no need for security, but that sort of attitude completely ignores the reality of the modern world. People aren't perfect, and pretending that you live in a fantasy land where bad things don't happen is a recipe for getting burned. Not even taking the most basic of precautions is grossly irresponsible, since you should know (or at least assume) that they will be always be necessary.

Who are the Japanese licensors going to blame? Madman. They were the muppets who put the video up onto a server days too early with no security whatsoever, thereby making the exact same mistake as other companies have done in the past (including ANN, no less) with no sign they've taken those lessons to heart. They are not solely to blame for this debacle but they are blame-worthy, especially from a contractual point of view. The hackers weren't the ones with a contract with the Japanese, it was Madman, and they stuffed up and left their metaphorical door open.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I think he was saying that while individual hackers are bad, hacking in general is like a force of nature; it's a given that someone somewhere is going to (try to) do it. Yes, if everyone was perfect then there would be no need for security, but that sort of attitude completely ignores the reality of the modern world. People aren't perfect, and pretending that you live in a fantasy land where bad things don't happen is a recipe for getting burned. Not even taking the most basic of precautions is grossly irresponsible, since you should know (or at least assume) that they will be always be necessary.

Who are the Japanese licensors going to blame? Madman. They were the muppets who put the video up onto a server days too early with no security whatsoever, thereby making the exact same mistake as other companies have done in the past (including ANN, no less) with no sign they've taken those lessons to heart. They are not solely to blame for this debacle but they are blame-worthy, especially from a contractual point of view. The hackers weren't the ones with a contract with the Japanese, it was Madman, and they stuffed up and left their metaphorical door open.

I don't disagree with the idea that Madman is partially to blame for this incident --- they have a responsibility to do their best to secure and protect the properties of the publishing companies, and if the breach was as simple as guessing the URL for the stream, it's clear they weren't exercising due diligence.

What I take issue with is the idea of giving the bozos who actually committed the crime a free pass, and instead focusing 100% of the blame on the licensors. Hacking is NOT a force of nature --- natural disasters aren't conscious thinking creatures with the ability to choose between right and wrong. The only reason hackers seem similar is because you see the damage that's left behind, but not the person responsible for it --- you can't hear them laughing in front of their computers when they've found a hole in your system, or see the smug look of pride on their faces when they've effectively compromised your security. Let me put it this way; somewhere out there is a guy who downloaded the episode files and, not satisfied with having seen the episodes ahead of schedule, decided to distribute them for all the world to see. That guy is an ass.

Clearly this isn't a fantasy world where you can safely leave your front door unlocked or leave your server files unsecured. But in being able to evaluate the fairness of this world, we should also be able to deservedly place blame where blame is due, and not excuse criminals their trespasses simply because we can't see their faces. Unlike samuelp, I don't at all find it "strange" to blame the 'hackers' in this situation, regardless of whether or not they profited from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4