• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Station Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who says it isn't time for next gen is crazy. Now, I'm perfectly happy with how games look on the PS3/360, but hell I'm playing BF4 on medium settings and it blows anything on current gen consoles out of the water.

Even FF14 on low PC settings looks better then the terrible PS3 version.

It's time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Indeed. FFXIV on PS3 has very choppy animation and has a pretty low draw range for PCs/NPCs/mobs (have fun doing Fates in Dragonhead). People buying PS4s and playing on PS3 should definitely upgrade. I play on PC on high settings and the difference is amazing, PS3 players are at such a disadvantage.

I'll probably buy a PS4 eventually, maybe at tax time.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

That is the problem with the next gens; they seem to have a tough time justifying why they're being released. For the Wii U it WAS understandable, but with the PS4 and XB1 I just can't see why they exist when we could have gotten a few years out of their predecessors without issue.

This is the longest generation of the modern 3D gaming era. The 360 launched in 2005, and the PS3 in 2006. Just because you personally might not be wanting to upgrade, doesn't mean it's not the time.

And more importantly, games aren't selling as they used to. Game sales have been declining the last few years. They have to revive that market; otherwise, it'd eventually wither away like the PSP in the West.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I would argue that Resistance was not at all an unremarkable game. Personally, the thing blew me away, and there were several moments that reminded me I was playing on a new console, with new tricks up its sleeve that my old systems simply weren't capable of. Watching an army of parasites engulf the face of a building I thought to be safe, or barreling through the hills in a jeep as I ran over Chimera... Resistance was fantastic on all fronts, in my opinion, and while the games after it were pretty bland for the most part (except for 3), the first one is a testament on how to do the obligatory launch shooter right.

But hey, that's just me as a biased game critic talking, I guess... Razz

I like resistance, thought it was much better than Killzone 2, and the sequel was really good as well. 3 finally lost steam, but honestly in the alien war fps, I don't find a big gap in quality amongst any of them including halo.
EternalKnight001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
Really looking forward to that BlazBlue CP LE, my god, beauty.

As for PS4/next gen, yah, I'm getting the PS4 next week- but in all honesty, I'm more excited about receiving my import copy of Exstetra and beginning a new import visual novel I preordered.... so yah, I'll get it, but it'll probably just sit there with a few PSN downloads for a few months until FFXIV/FFXV/other RPG's or Visual novels arrive.
Kind of as per usual for me when new consoles launch, anyhoo- so: used to it.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It runs $400, a hundred less than the PlayStation 3 originally cost,

Wasn't the PS3 originally $600?

If it had backwards compatibility, a PS4 would be a no-brainer, as we never got a PS3 in our household and have a lot we want to play on that system.

Neither next-gen console interests me right now Confused
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Been playing a lot of Blazblue at Freedemonia and I really like the game, though I somehow ended up playing low-tier (Bullet) because our poverty fighter expert wasn't present at the time I made a selection.

I do damage, but apparently not Hakumen damage (I'm hearing like 6k or something at the very beginning of the round because of overdrive).

4 hours of footage (featuring Lord Raptor and Team Black People):

http://www.twitch.tv/freedemonia/b/473774553

That said, not getting at physical version since me and friends did the ratchet thing where we bought the Japanese game off of the Hong Kong PSN store (it's the same damn game, but for less money) and then promptly game shared across two systems.

Not getting physical Water Pizza (Aquapazza) either for the same reasons >_>

(that said, yes, we do need multiple copies of the game... while people (me) are always too salty to run another setup for matches, the extra setup can be used for training mode)

Last edited by DKL on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Anyone who says it isn't time for next gen is crazy. Now, I'm perfectly happy with how games look on the PS3/360, but hell I'm playing BF4 on medium settings and it blows anything on current gen consoles out of the water.

It's time.

I don't care how a game looks in all honesty. What I care about is the game fun to play, solid music, writing and so on. This is what makes or breaks a game for me, it can look pretty all it wants but if game-play controls handles like a**, the characters are just sheer cookie cutter/copy paste jobs.

Do I agree it's time for new gen yeah it is, However I'm not getting a next-gen console period, this will be my last gen for gaming aside from hand-held's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

It's time.

My main issue is that there just isn't much of a jump between gens like we normally see. The jump from SNES to PS1 was huge. From PS1 to PS2 was huge. PS2 to PS3 wasn't as big but it had HD. Now its really not much of a jump at all, just more detailed character models and environment. I feel the consoles have pretty much maxed themselves out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Quote:
It runs $400, a hundred less than the PlayStation 3 originally cost,

Wasn't the PS3 originally $600?

IIRC original PS3 came in 2 SKUs: 20GB for $500 and 60GB for $600.

RyanSaotome wrote:

My main issue is that there just isn't much of a jump between gens like we normally see. The jump from SNES to PS1 was huge. From PS1 to PS2 was huge. PS2 to PS3 wasn't as big but it had HD. Now its really not much of a jump at all, just more detailed character models and environment. I feel the consoles have pretty much maxed themselves out.

As tech advances, it becomes a case of diminishing returns. Plus, it used to be that consoles were ahead of the times by tuning its components all gained towards graphics and playing games, rather than all-around tasks like the PC. But now, gaming tech has been advancing at a faster pace that consoles would actually be running behind the times.

By the time the XB1 and PS4 come out, it's already just a mid-range gaming PC - but unlike the PC which you can upgrade, the consoles would be pretty much stuck at that configuration for the next 5 or so years. They'd be left behind the dust of tech innovations, and that's why both MS and Sony are relying more on cloud computing because, while they can't do much to upgrade the consoles, they could upscale the computing on their end (the servers).
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
People say the gap lessens each time and for awhile I belived that.

Not anymore though. Sure the tech isn't radically changing, it is basically polygon's looking better. But they look a whole lot better.

PS3 games look old and tired compared to thier PC equals, it's almost night and day with some multi platform titles in looks.

There is no paradigm shift, but no I don't feel that next gen dosent look that much better. It looks leagues better.

Is this going to lead to better games? No, but we aren't talking about that either way, so I don't even see the need to bring up " good gameplay durr". Of course, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be intersted in visuals and be excited about them. This is a visual medium.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Im spilt on whether tis an improvement. On the one hand, this being ANN a lot of people on here play jrpgs alot of which use retro styles like Disgaea. We like these retro feels and don't need the MC to look life like, so in that sense you only buy the next gen when it gets games you want.

But I agree Raph, looking at the comparison of AC IV side by side, the ps4 does look that much better. And although I love a lot games with dated or purposefully retro graphics, I do appreciate the jump in graphics.

Besides if the ps4 got no other games, I would get it alone for SOMA and Everyone's gone to rapture.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Not anymore though. Sure the tech isn't radically changing, it is basically polygon's looking better. But they look a whole lot better.

PS3 games look old and tired compared to thier PC equals, it's almost night and day with some multi platform titles in looks.

There is no paradigm shift, but no I don't feel that next gen dosent look that much better. It looks leagues better.

Is this going to lead to better games? No, but we aren't talking about that either way, so I don't even see the need to bring up " good gameplay durr". Of course, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be intersted in visuals and be excited about them. This is a visual medium.

I will agree with the visual department on a select few games that play on PC only now. You know that most have hd res patches now and I use them for games such as fallout 3/nv, gta sa, resident evil 4, elder scrolls III-V etc. PC gaming also offers for me with visual novels, more adult titles and so on aside from jrpgs that I do like play. I do have a pretty high end machine and I don't want to waste money on a new console when that can be invested into future upgrades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

I will agree with the visual department on a select few games that play on PC only now. You know that most have hd res patches now and I use them for games such as fallout 3/nv, gta sa, resident evil 4, elder scrolls III-V etc. PC gaming also offers for me with visual novels, more adult titles and so on aside from jrpgs that I do like play. I do have a pretty high end machine and I don't want to waste money on a new console when that can be invested into future upgrades.

Yes but how much do you have to invest, how many times a year, and then compound that with some gamers not being terribly hardware efficient, making putting a computer together yourself not a feasible option.

Honestly PC gaming is probably the most expensive of any option. I can buy a console that will probably have a life of 5-6 years. A PC could be outdated in 5-6 months.

Sure a PC has better potential, but in my opinion its just a money black hole.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Yes but how much do you have to invest, how many times a year, and then compound that with some gamers not being terribly hardware efficient, making putting a computer together yourself not a feasible option.

Honestly PC gaming is probably the most expensive of any option. I can buy a console that will probably have a life of 5-6 years. A PC could be outdated in 5-6 months.

Sure a PC has better potential, but in my opinion its just a money black hole.

Yes but i save money due in part that games on PC are cheaper due to digital sales through steam and other online stores. This lets me build up some extra money so I can upgrade my PC which I haven't done in 2 yrs since I bought it. As I said I do have a high end pc with windows 7 64bit home premium, AMD phenom X II six-core processor clocked at 2.60ghz, 8gb of ram, 2 1tb hdd, 2 optical dvd/cd and a bluray/dvd/hd-dvd/cd drive. The only thing I need to update is the old ati radeon hd 5450 card which is holding me back.

I do realize that most computers are out of date 5-6 months but let's be honest I don't care to run most games on ultra high settings. All I care about is being able to play the game in the first place, tweak if I need to and just play from there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3