• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wind Rises, Madoka Magica, Momo Submitted for Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
This category feels like it's become the Annual Pixar Award For Being Pixar, but I don't imagine anyone's going to be real psyched about Monsters University winning.

Man, I hope Frozen is good, but the trailers aren't real promising.

That's been worrying me too. It seems like ripe material to Disney to "Disneyize" the hell out of and make it a sweeping epic, but typically, it appears to bogged down to stupid crass humor and awful sidekicks. I just rewatched the Little Mermaid, and while the three animal friends are certainly there, they almost never upstage the leads and the villain, and I feel that's been Disney's problem of late. The horse and lizard didn't do that in Tangled either, so I'm worried it'll end up: "Olaf the Movie: Featuring Other Characters."
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Man, I hope Frozen is good, but the trailers aren't real promising.

Why couldn't the U.S. use this trailer?! Mad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdrGGw27mmo
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Sorry for not being in the know, but would anyone care to explain why Wolf Children wasn't eligible?

I'm guessing because the original release of the film was in summer 2012.

Oh come on, The Wind Rises and Madoka should win over THE SMURFS 2.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Really didn't like Momo. Haven't seen Wind Rises and I doubt Madoka Magica will make the cut.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Sorry for not being in the know, but would anyone care to explain why Wolf Children wasn't eligible?

I'm guessing because the original release of the film was in summer 2012.
That's not a problem, given how Spirited Away was released in Japan in 2001 and won the 2002 Best Animated Feature Oscar.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe Smurfs qualifies as animated film.

Haven't watched Wind Rising, but I suppose it may get a shot given how relatively mediocre this year has been for American animated movies. Madoka? Not a chance. +1 on disappointment for the lack of Wolf Children. For Hosoda's work, I liked that one a LOT more than Momo
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to hear the soundtrack for Rebellion, but if it's anything like the soundtrack for the series and the first two movies, in an ideal world Yuki Kaijura would be nominated for Best Original Score for Madoka. One thing you can't take away from Madoka is it's awesome soundtrack.

I doubt it would be eligible though.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
With the main competition being Pixar as its competition putting in Monsters U as its movie (I didn't like it.) and the other movies not looking too good either (Really, Smurfs 2?, Planes? Get it together Hollywood!) there could be a good chance in an anime film finally getting an academy award again. The biggest competition is probably Frozen (If Disney pulled off another "Tangled" and maybe Despicable Me 2. (I'm just saying that because if I don't my sister will kill me, she's a die hard Despicable me fan). But I certainly hope Miyazaki wins the award seeing as this is his final movie. He really deserves it! And I'd love to see him come to America to get his award! (Although he probably wouldn't.) But Go Mr. Miyazaki! End your career in a high note! We're rooting for you!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Madoka Magica has an excellent chance of winning, since Kyubey got a magical girl to wish for the movie to win the Oscar in return for her soul.

You never know with the Oscars, upsets happen all the time. So despite the odds, I am gunning for Madoka Magica.

Root for the movie you like, not what you think will win.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:
The people behind the Oscars are too old to understand Madoka, Miyazaki's got a chance though.

this. People who get the votes for Oscar probably don't like those style of animation too. Wind Rises can be one of the five nominees because of big name, Miyazaki .
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Tnd, mew, and varmint: The rules for qualification involve getting screened in L.A. County before home video and television broadcasts. So Jin-Roh got screwed on that one, but most anime has technically qualified. Hypothetically, Short Peace should also be able to make it, if they play it here in January before the DVD/BD release.

Lia: Wolf Children's too long. And it's a tad sexist in that the mom is just a vessel to be mother and housewife, with no life of her own.

yotsuba: Miyazaki already won. He doesn't need anything else, too. He has it all. Except for a respectful son with talent. :roll:

Tars: Madoka is not going to win. And it'll just be lucky if the voters can grok the general concept of the series through a third movie.

Spots: FFS, they already gave Miyazaki two nominations and one win. I love the guy, but I can live with younger animators getting the glory.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
The New York Times has a great article about The Wind Rises and some controversies around it:
Swan Song Too Hawkish for Some
Quote:
Although “The Wind Rises” has a strong pacifist message, it is essentially a biopic of Jiro Horikoshi, an aeronautical engineer whose contribution to the world was a killing machine. His designs led to the Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter, which was used to devastating effect during World War II.

Mr. Miyazaki’s film, which is aimed at adults, also features at least eight scenes in which characters smoke cigarettes. That imagery, while historically correct, stirred controversy in Japan because of its potential impression on young viewers and could prompt an even louder reaction in North America, where animation is seen to a much greater degree as a product for children.

“The main worry is that people will make a judgment about the film before they see it,” said Fran Krause, a professor of character animation at California Institute of the Arts. “There is a lot of subtlety to Miyazaki’s work, and this film in particular will require a lot of benefit of the doubt that people these days don’t often have.”

So there you have it! The Wind Rises won't win an Oscar because Americans are still touchy about WWII, or because of smoking. Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Agent: It's not the WW II part. It's the glossing over planes which helped bomb Pearl Harbor part.
Gohan22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
I don't think that Madoka will be nominated simply because a lot of the Academy won't SEE IT. I haven't seen the whole movie yet either, I don't live in Japan, but it at least deserves some kind of nomination on technically/artistic levels, if what I've been hearing is true. Miyazaki might get some extra love this time because he's retiring. I still can't believe that his best movie (Princess Mononoke) didn't get nominated.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Gohan: It didn't get nominated, because there wasn't a Best Animated Film category yet, when it initially came out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6