• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ga Ga Ga Gals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluvia33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm really surprised to see the Tokko recommendation. I was watching the fansubs before it was licensed and it was easily one of the most boring shows I've ever seen. I got about half way through it and just couldn't push myself to watch anymore. Don't really know what it was about it, but I felt like I was watching a supernatural / action / horror hentai without the sex. Really, I would expect sexless versions of Bible Black and Tokyo Requiem to be more entertaining than this show. But that's just me.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so much glowing praise for Fate/stay night, even for a version that ultimately only skims the surface of what the source material has to offer. Can't wait to hear your impressions on future volumes.

I'll agree that this batch of episodes were incredible, and the first episode of the next volume will be simply staggering, but overall I personally have mixed feelings about the upcoming volume three. Given that Rider is one of my favorite characters, I really didn't appreciate the anime's approach in spoiler[turning her into a mindless, one-dimensional drone, even if the confrontations between her and Saber are some of the series's better fights.] I dunno, seeing her depicted like that kinda soured me a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mpphan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The words, "Fate/Stay Night v.2" caught my attention to this article. F/SN happens to be one of my favorite series, because of how deep this story goes into. Many things have to be inferred. Not to mention, the romance, drama, and action and what not. I'm glad to see that it's shelf worthy.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Going to have to pick up Fate/Stay Night someday, but it's going to have to wait until one ofthe ones I'm currently picking up ends, and none of them look to be doing so in the near future. Really sounds like a good series though, kind of disappointed that I'm missing it.

Sorry about your Av's too, analysts seemed pretty pumped about the team at the start of the season but it just didn't come together. I'm happy the Wild are on their way in though, although I have my doubts with them going up against the Ducks on their ice to start things off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I find it odd that you'd mention the hussy, but not the eight year-old in the mini-skirt.
Js2756

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

Fate/Stay volume two was really fun. It is far more apparent how this series is based of an erogame in this volume (more so than Utawarerumonow which feels more like a RTS) especially with the number of young girls moving into the house.

Utawarerumono was a turn based strategy game with ero scenes, in the same way that Fate/Stay night was a visual novel with ero scenes. It's not hard to see where these two shows come from.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Sorry about your Av's too, analysts seemed pretty pumped about the team at the start of the season but it just didn't come together.

Just wait till next season. They'll be a force to be reckoned with.
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I think Ginger was thinking of all the dog chow that could be had instead of those plastic thingies.
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Why did they have to give Jean a ponytail!!! WHY!!!!?!? Jubilee sucks Smile I'd take Dazzler over her any day!

Hmm, so those toothbrushes suck huh? Sad Shucks I was interested in getting them too, thanks for helping me save my money Anime hyper I guess I can use to purchase more anime!! YAY!!!!

What a cute dog Shocked he/she does look sad Sad

I'm pleasantly surprised with Fate/Stay Night.. what first caught my attention was all of the figures that were out for that series. My boyfriend wanted to get the series so we did. It's really fun Anime smile Good choice!
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I liked Fate/Stay Night, except for Emiya. Saber was really cool, but Emiya severly needed a punch in the face from me.

I didn't think the ending of Hare+Guu was conclusive at all, which is the reason why there was two OAVs series after them. And even the end of Final was inconclusive. I hoping for an ending, but considering the Final OAV was complete 2+ years ago. i'm not entirely hopeful.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
Emiya was the biggest idiot I've even seen in an anime.

I'd say Fate/Stay Night is worth a rent. Great animation and action scenes and an interesting premise, but I hated the characters and didn't care for most of the music.

My opinion sucks though. =P
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with Tokko is the art. It's really not up to par with the manga at all, and it really made the series suffer in my opinion. Where all the characters are drawn with sharp lines and good detail, with realistic and vibrant colors on the covers, the anime leaves them looking somewhat washed out in pastels and a little blurry.

Everything else in the series is good, great story and a good cast (some odd choices, but that's merely because they didn't fit my image of the characters).

The drop in art compared between the anime and manga versions really makes me feel it's only worth the rental.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm glad you enjoyed GaoGaiGar. The next volume (volume 5) is when things will kick in. I always mark the point in which GaoGaiGar becomes great is episode 22 when Mike Sounders The 13th shows up. He's got to be one of my favorite robots of all time. I also want to say that it isn't until the end of the series that you can really appreciate the first half. Yes it's the same formula over, and over, and over, and over again with more and more gimmicks thrown in but if you watch it all you realize just how much the characters grow on you. So when things get kicking and the invincible king isn't quite so invincible anymore, suddenly you're rooting for everyone and you truly care about them (which I can't say for another series on AS that's coming to a close). Trust the fans, the show does pay off and delivers on every level. The OVA is even better.
raithnor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fate/Stay Night has been good about not becoming a Master-of-the-week series.

Please tell me that's a typo.

jgreen wrote:
It also had me thinking about Dai-Guard, which I had never heard of but caught a trailer for on my Gasaraki DVD the other day. For anyone who's seen the two, how do they compare?

Haven't seen GGG but Dai-guard's not bad. I liken it to "Dilbert with a giant robot". Although the bad guys are really generic. If you can find it the boxed set is something like $20.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
raithnor wrote:
Quote:
Fate/Stay Night has been good about not becoming a Master-of-the-week series.

Please tell me that's a typo.

It's not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3