• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Licensing Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:44 pm Reply with quote
KURIous wrote:
Quote:
4Kids never touched Yuu Yuu Hakusho. That's FUNimation. So is DBZ.

4Kids' licensed properties are the Kirby TV series, Tama & Friends (which I have to admit, I found utterly adorable), Shaman King, Sonic-X, and the second Yu-Gi-Oh! movie. They also sub-licensed Bistro Recipe (primary licensor Enoki Films), and produced the dubs for Yu-Gi-Oh! (licensor FUNimation), Pokemon (licensor Pioneer), and Kinnikuman II (I THINK they licensed this one, too, but I'm not 100% sure).

i want to add my 2 cents in too so let me just say that Sonic X is not licensed by 4kids, but by ShoPro Ent.

You might wanna inform ANN about this, too. That's where I got this info. from. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:01 pm Reply with quote
psylocke9 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Why is there so much speculation over this?

It's clear who holds the rights as we speak: Viz. Viz owns the manga, and therefore, they own the anime (this is part of the deal they struck with Jump a while back). Cartoon Network has already passed on Naruto (too violent for kids, not adult enough for adults) so unless it's heavily edited it won't show up here on TV at any point in the near future. Now, Viz could choose to license the show out to a third party, but as it sits, that hasn't happened yet and nobody's announced the license.

Nothing left to do but wait. 4Kids probably won't touch it (thus sparing me from and endless sea of whining fanboys and fangirls complaining about how they turn children's shows in to children's shows).

-Z

I'm sorry, but Zac, where did you get this information...? I tend not to believe things until I have proof...

For now, I think it's reasonable to say that the probability of Viz, who also owns the Naruto manga, licensing the anime is high... I also agree that it probably wouldn't be good for 4Kids or for fans if Naruto was licensed by 4Kids (though they're not doing such a horrible job with Shaman King as one might think they would, IMHO).

I quit doubt that CN would pass Naruto aswell. I think it would make a good line up but something puzzles me... due to the language and violence, it wouldn't make its way on Toonami. I think it would have to be on Adult Swim. Naruto doesn't seem to be adult enough but then again.. it's a ninja show so.. Viz didn't do away with it's language in the manga, so I doubt the language in the anime would be edited out. Then again, here we have Shaman King but that's a different story. I dunno. It's just too confusing. I'll leave it as this.
psylocke9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
And why was this post, posted 3 times?

I'm sorry...My internet was being wonky that day...I didn't mean to post three times. Embarassed I'd delete the erronious posts...but I don't think I can...? Question
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:43 am Reply with quote
I doubt that Cartoon Network would put Naruto on Adult Swim.

They don't want to make the same mistake they made with Inuyasha.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:16 am Reply with quote
Mistake? *raises eyebrow* What mistake? It's been rather successful, to my knowledge.

And we all know how Toonami would have taken to the whole DEMON thing, anyway. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:16 am Reply with quote
The only way CN will pass on Naruto is if ADV picks it up. Yes, there is the outside chance that ADV picks it up. Remember, manga that have been lisenced by Company A can have the TV verison rights over at Compay B. Heck, 90% of TokyoPop manga's anime counterpart are lisenced to company. However, given since the main issues with Naruto so far is blood (I won't really count Naruto's Sexy Girl transformation as nudity or even semi-nudity.), I won't be surprised if it ends up on Toonami. But, who friggn' knows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:59 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
The only way CN will pass on Naruto is if ADV picks it up. Yes, there is the outside chance that ADV picks it up. Remember, manga that have been lisenced by Company A can have the TV verison rights over at Compay B. Heck, 90% of TokyoPop manga's anime counterpart are lisenced to company. However, given since the main issues with Naruto so far is blood (I won't really count Naruto's Sexy Girl transformation as nudity or even semi-nudity.), I won't be surprised if it ends up on Toonami. But, who friggn' knows.

Dude, if they take out Sexy no Jitsu, and Harem no Jitsu, that's going to be so dissapointing. They start off with that right away, and well, who knows, maybe something like that would convince people who watch Adult Swim that Naruto ain't so bad,

>.> Pervert-sennin shows up later in the series too. He likes peeking in on bath houses.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:40 pm Reply with quote
psylocke9 wrote:
Anime_Freak wrote:
And why was this post, posted 3 times?

I'm sorry...My internet was being wonky that day...I didn't mean to post three times. Embarassed I'd delete the erronious posts...but I don't think I can...? Question

Hey,

It's cool, I wasn't mad or anything, just curious. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Delthayre wrote:
I doubt that Cartoon Network would put Naruto on Adult Swim.

They don't want to make the same mistake they made with Inuyasha.

Nagisa wrote:
Mistake? *raises eyebrow* What mistake? It's been rather successful, to my knowledge.

And we all know how Toonami would have taken to the whole DEMON thing, anyway. Rolling Eyes

I must agree with Nagisa. What kind of mistake did CN make by airing one h e double hockey sticks of a show on AS, like Inuyasha? Not for CN airing it my site www.tvtome.com/Inuyasha wouldn't be getting 60,000+ hits every month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Because it's not an adult show. I don't think they knew what they were getting into when they bought it and now if they take it off, they'll probably get firebombed.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:18 pm Reply with quote
News flash, Trigun isn't an adult show either. Smile
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I already knew that chief Razz Razz Razz

In Trigun's case, they bowed down to the cacophany of fans demanding the show. And to their credit, I haven't encountered any Trigun fans anywhere as freakishly obsessed as some (NOTE THAT I AM SAYING SOME, INDICATING ONLY A PORTION, BE IT MAJORITY OR MINORITY, OF INUYASHA FANS ARE OBSESSIVE LOONS) Inuyasha fans are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5