• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last TV Anime With Physical Cels Makes Digital Transition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Could ya guys guess the last major N. American animation to use cels?

It's Ed, Edd n Eddy which stuck to traditional cel animation throughout its whole 1999-2009 run.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
@ enurtsol:

Wait, seriously? Shocked Even season 5 and The Big Picture Show when the colors looked brighter? I just assumed they made the transition by that point.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought I heard something about them having to switch partway through simply because all Korean studios had finally dumped cels. Wikipedia doesn't say anything like that, but they do only reference the commentary for the first season.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
The change has been happening for years and for many reasons. Mostly production ones ...so much more efficient of time and effort to have the electronic process. Retras Pro is superb, have used it for years in my work and would not go back, tho there were certain joys in doing the hand cells. Above and beyond it all, the skills to do the work remain the most important and the vision of the directors and writers to design the content.

How it is done changes over time, and always has with art of any kind. We just try to use what is best for the result and with what can be done with wonderful modern shows, in terms of intense and also subtle art is superb: Ano Natsu De Matteru, Hyouka come to mind, and as a good contrast, the new final episodes of Inuyasha and the originals, that will give you an excellent contrast. I prefer the older ones but that is because we have used them as a teaching standard for new staff for years.

As for what is done in the US re some of the shows mentioned we have no interest in them or what they do, they are far from what is considered quality in our work. Too bad but that is the way it is.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The benefits of going digital are clear - by going straight from paper to computer you cut out all the cels, the paint and the film and a lot of time - Mononoke Hime was partially coloured digitally since they didn't have time to do it all the traditional way.
These days you're going to have to enter the digital workflow at some point - even if you forgo CGI and digital effects, you still need to produce a digital master at the end of the process so you might as well make the transition as early in the process a possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate that there won't be cels to collect anymore but that's about all I'll miss. Digital hand drawn and hand drawn on a cel are pretty much the same to me. Lack of quality on either looks ass and quality on both looks good. Both can capture a particular artist's style equally well and that's what I really care about.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
Lots of cells got "lost" and got collected by people, so some older anime cannot be remastered as far as I know, so going all digital isn't a completely bad thing in my opinion, since it'll be harder to lost the masters this way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Remasters are rarely if ever done from the original cels (not only are a lot "lost", they used to be destroyed as waste after production completed) but from the film shot from them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ enurtsol:

Wait, seriously? Shocked Even season 5 and The Big Picture Show when the colors looked brighter? I just assumed they made the transition by that point.

Later seasons appeared digital to me so I'm sure it made the switch too.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Remasters are rarely if ever done from the original cels (not only are a lot "lost", they used to be destroyed as waste after production completed) but from the film shot from them.

They would only use what are called 'camera negatives" to remaster film with. These would be the film itself that was shot inside a camera (first generation) before having to do through the editing process later.

Cels themselves for years were not considered such a highly-priced collectible commodity as many studios simply threw them away, washed them for later use or given them as gifts to friends or families. Of course Disney once sold many cels through a shop they had at Disneyland for as low as $5 a piece. It wasn't until the later end of the 20th century when you saw that boom in interest in animation art collecting happened at the prices went up drastically.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I knew a different story about cells. I'll have to do some researches around...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
I knew a different story about cells. I'll have to do some researches around...

I don't need to since I've studied up on this 20 years ago. Also, it's "Cel", not "Cell" which seems to get used interchangeably anyway.
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
I love how people still refer to any non Ponyo anime movie after Princess Mononoke "hand drawn" because it's not. Before somebody says "IT IS DRAWN BY HAND" no, it is not. Believe it or not, painting and inking are part of a drawing. So Disney stopped hand drawn movies after Little Mermaid, since the inking and painting, I.E part of the drawing was NOT done on hand. Also, another name for 2D animation is "traditional animation" which is still false, since digital ink and paint are not "traditional" since weren't around, prior to this movie and are not part of the "traditional" process used to create animation on cels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl6P5Cu6sRQ

This movie is not hand drawn. It is the first digitally animated film.

The "cels" are STILL part of the animation, hence the term "CEL ANIMATION" and since cel animation is synonymous with hand drawn animation, no anime today is hand drawn, since they weren't done on cels. Even if they were hand drawn, they aren't traditional, since the ENTIRE purpose of CAPS was to eliminate the time consuming job of traditional ink and paint.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
By that logic almost not art you ever see is hand drawn anymore.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
How does what happens to a drawing after it is put on paper stop it being hand drawn? Cels weren't hand drawn by that measure - they were photocopied from the original pencil drawings.
jet_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
I love how people still refer to any non Ponyo anime movie after Princess Mononoke "hand drawn" because it's not. Before somebody says "IT IS DRAWN BY HAND" no, it is not. Believe it or not, painting and inking are part of a drawing. So Disney stopped hand drawn movies after Little Mermaid, since the inking and painting, I.E part of the drawing was NOT done on hand. Also, another name for 2D animation is "traditional animation" which is still false, since digital ink and paint are not "traditional" since weren't around, prior to this movie and are not part of the "traditional" process used to create animation on cels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl6P5Cu6sRQ

This movie is not hand drawn. It is the first digitally animated film.

The "cels" are STILL part of the animation, hence the term "CEL ANIMATION" and since cel animation is synonymous with hand drawn animation, no anime today is hand drawn, since they weren't done on cels. Even if they were hand drawn, they aren't traditional, since the ENTIRE purpose of CAPS was to eliminate the time consuming job of traditional ink and paint.

Being this stupid should be a bannable offense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5