• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BlazBlue Alter Memory (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
Rachel is the devil. Cool people like me drive ice cars.

Personally, I would've liked to see the speculations had they kept the pretense that Hazama was just a shady intelligence personnel--there seems to be plenty of anime only watchers--, but they chose to reveal immediately that he had something else going on. It's a missed opportunity, though I guess it avoids the accusation of "too obvious."
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
EDIT: Post should make more sense now. It was all timey wimey before.

Raftina wrote:
Personally, I would've liked to see the speculations had they kept the pretense that Hazama was just a shady intelligence personnel

Yeah. While your other point is certainly true I'd rather it have been a thinly-veiled surprise than not a surprise at all because there's plenty of other characters who might seem like the villain and the foggy plot would've helped that. I'm a big fan of "which of these people will be the end boss?" plots. It's one of the main reasons Shadow Hearts 2 and Wild Arms 3 rank so high on my favourite games list.

publicenemy333 wrote:
For fans or not, you can't make adaptations like this with viewers just expected to know. If this were like a spin off movie or OVA, then maybe, but not what is supposed to be an adaptive, standalone series.

Where does it say it's supposed to be a standalone series? I've seen shows made for both reasons- to branch out the existing series to a new market and get new fans, or just to give a joygasm to the existing fans. Unless their intent has been stated we shouldn't know which is the case here.

Basically, to me, whether or not the show is accessible to new challengers IS debatable (since it's an opinion and thus is open for discussion) but whether or not it's specifically meant for people unfamiliar with the source material isn't debatable because it's either backed by a statement from the studio (a yes or a no) or it's not backed by the studio and thusly has no way to answer it and any discussion on the matter becomes a discussion about how accessible it is, not if it's meant to be accessible.

That was way more complicated than my usual posts. BLAZBLUE!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I know next to nothing about the games, so I suspect I might have a similar time here to what I had with Choujigen, although I ended up really enjoying that. I considered getting some Blazblue games before because of the art, but I always put the case back because I am not much of a fighting game player.

So far I like that weird catgirl thing, the appearance makes me think a little of Chaser John Doe who I continue to use as avatar elsewhere and my computer wallpaper. I love me some weird cat person mask thing, the annoying parts of her actually equal out to a plus to me. She even got more attention to me than the loli vampire which is usually a big attention grabber for me.

Based on what I understood from the episode, spoiler[time keep repeating while the main character is trying accomplish some goal, I assume it ends each time with him fighting and losing].
VPedge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

Though when you take personality into account, Tsubaki is the best.

I'm sorry I didn't know spoiler[going out by orders to kill your friend and the one you love while getting all jelly for a dumb reason then getting mind controlled ] counted as a good personality....

Anyway bad start to the show I HOPE it can get better but the animations...and jin ice sword....no
http://folderman.aki.gs/s/fa3177.gif
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Was expecting more out of this anime.
The main character is nice looking ^^ and I like him.
Don't know if it'll be enough to keep me watching this.
I like this kind of anime, a future based fantasy.
So far, I'm not impressed at all.
Felt kinda lost while watching it, like I was thrown in the middle of it all.
Will give it a try... and then decide.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Well episode 2 isn't much better than the first. Fights are still too slow and it definitely comes across as something for the fans. It makes a big deal about what happened here, but the impact is kind of lost on casual viewers. spoiler[We'd need to have gone through several time loops first in order to want for the characters to break out of it. See Higurashi.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:29 am Reply with quote
Starting off episode 2 spoiler[with a fight.. not bad at all.
Well, can't say it was an easy fight, but it was nice to watch.
Chick fight was a nice bonus though.]

This anime hasn't been lacking action at all.
On the contrary, so far it seems to be lacking plot.
Still have a feeling like I'm watching it from the middle..
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Ep2
The climax was extremely touching and very well-done... if you're already attached to the characters.

After a long discussion with friends refreshing me on bits from the story I became slightly curious on exactly where they'll take this show to fill out a season.

Like before the music is fantastic and the fights are meh. At least they're a tad better than last week's. Not much to really say despite that I did enjoy it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I barely had any idea what was happening, well I had a basic idea but I don't know enough about the characters to really care as much as the show wants me to. I come to the conclusion that they are catering to fans of the series and thus us who don't know anything are getting disappointed with lack of explanation.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Agreed. I don't think that's particularly bad but I do think they could certainly have done it differently to accommodate new fans.

When the game first came out it drew a lot of ire from Guilty Gear fans (Arc System's main franchise) because GG's story was incomplete and left on a cliffhanger (reminding me of how BattleChasers fans reacted to when Joe Mad announced a new project and it turned out to -not- be a conclusion to that but some new that thing would also go unfinished). Fans were (justly) worried Arc System would just dump their favourite franchise at the climax and then do it all over again on a new franchise.

So I wonder if that (since entirely resolved) ire is part of the reason they made this one "for the fans". Though BB's story actually IS like this when you play the game I think they should've made adjustments to fit it into anime format.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm completely lost..
This is 3rd episode in a row with no explanation that could help people like me who haven't played the games.
I like the main character, but the plot desperately needs explanation.
They could've throw in some info. This way it's just confusing and pointless.
Decided to drop this... it really is such a shame.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm still curious about Ragna's past but the story so far is rather weak....

I'm lost as well and this show seems to be jumping all over the place. I wasn't into much of the action either. That Hazama guy sure is entertaining to watch though and I sense danger with that ending soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silencer226

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly you guys could play the game and be just as lost lol. And yes, Hazama is quite the character, he is king troll.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Yeah, they are still failing at making the story accessible to us who do not know the games.

On the other hand... Tao. Mini ones too.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, the show definitely is improving with each episode. Noel was especially adorable in this one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first few episodes sped through Calamity Trigger and now it's adapting Continuum Shift, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4