• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fandom turned Obsession

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
namelissis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
I am not sure if there's a thread like here before, but since I've read alot about being obsessed into anime, I was wondering how would you know when a fan is not a fan anymore and becoming into an obsessed person...

Well, since a friend told me about otakukin, I guess people there who believe they once lived as anime, is really on crack!

Also, in one of my threads, I think psycho101(not sure) mentioned about a guy making her girlfriend dress up this anime girl from a "CERTAIN" anime genre!

I mean, these situation shows that these peeps are already out of their limits! There not an otaku but rather a people who's making the fiction into reality and so hooked up about?

So what's your say about fandom turned to obsession?
Eruanna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Well I wouldnt really say cosplay is "taking it to far". Personaly, if I had a boyfriend, and he was willing to dress up as my favourite hot bishounen character for me, that would just be awsome.
Dressing up in the bedroom isnt something anime fans invented either Wink
Otakukin... well... thats a little creepy.
I figure as long as you can function in day to day life without your hobby or interest in anime getting in your way, your probably doing fine.
If you have to bring it up every sentance, you might need to step back a bit.

"This is really good pizza, isnt it?" "Yeah, and I sure love anime!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
namelissis wrote:
Also, in one of my threads, I think psycho101(not sure) mentioned about a guy making her girlfriend dress up this anime girl from a "CERTAIN" anime genre!

Well, it's wrong to force someone into sexual acts, but if two consenting individuals like to have sex while cosplaying then what's wrong with that? I hope you don't feel that cosplay in general is an obsessive form of fandom.

Quote:
I mean, these situation shows that these peeps are already out of their limits! There not an otaku but rather a people who's making the fiction into reality and so hooked up about?

There will always be someone who crosses the line and develops an unhealthy fixation. It's disturbing and sad to hear about, but people like that truly exist. As for those otakukin, yes we may see them as strange, but if they're not causing any harm to others or themselves with their 'beliefs' then I don't care what they do.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
While I think it's okay to at least joke around about being obsessed, I don't think it's okay to actually be obsessed.

As far as cosplay goes, even though I've never actually done it myself (Although I did go trick-or-treating as Goku both 7th and 8th grades [I stopped when I was in 9th grade] and have gone to numerous Halloween parties since dressed as an anime character), I see absolutely no problem with it at all. As long as it's just for fun and recreation. If it goes anywhere past that, yeah, you've got a problem.

Overall, Anime can be your favorite hobby (like it is mine) but it can't be your only hobby. As long as you have other hobbies (like I do) and as long as none of your hobbies, especially anime, gets in the way of you functioning in everyday life as a regular person, I think you're just fine. That's probably the best way to determine if your obsessed or not.
Isikari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
First off, the otakukin thing is a bit weird, but an interesting belief. I'll have to Wiki that later and see what I can learn...

As for obsession, its a fine line to call. We have some members on the boards who posess over a thousand Anime DVD's, but does that make them obsessed? I'd say it was their primary hobby / form of entertainment, but not obsession. It's difficult to judge, but like the previous couple posters I feel that the real mark of having a problem is when it interferes with your daily functioning. Other than that, its all good!

~ Isikari
namelissis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I have nothing against cosplaying... even I am into cosplaying, I really want to do it if I have time...

But making someone to cosplay for you just to fulfill your green fantasy is soooo wrong!

Also, it's alright if both parties agrees to cosplay for each other... Then, it's cool with me... It's their decision not mine!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
namelissis wrote:

Well, it's wrong to force someone into sexual acts, but if two consenting individuals like to have sex while cosplaying then what's wrong with that? I hope you don't feel that cosplay in general is an obsessive form of fandom.

Quote:

There will always be someone who crosses the line and develops an unhealthy fixation. It's disturbing and sad to hear about, but people like that truly exist. As for those otakukin, yes we may see them as strange, but if they're not causing any harm to others or themselves with their 'beliefs' then I don't care what they do.

Namelissis was mentioning the guy I brought up in another thread. He made his gf, who had no self esteem, dress up to fulfill his fantasies. As in wait on him hand and foot and do ANYTHING he wanted of her. She had no self esteem so she did them all. That's waaaaayyyyyy too far into the fantasy zone.
As for when people are too obsessed, here are some examples. Once you have to bring anime up in every conversation that's too much. When you can't go 1 day without watching anime or reading manga. When you miss school or work because you stayed up too late watching anime (or playing Warcraft). Generally the rule goes if your daily routine has to involve anime or you go nuts you're in too deep. Once you stop hanging out with friends or spending time with family due to it you need to step back.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Namelissis was mentioning the guy I brought up in another thread. He made his gf, who had no self esteem, dress up to fulfill his fantasies. As in wait on him hand and foot and do ANYTHING he wanted of her. She had no self esteem so she did them all. That's waaaaayyyyyy too far into the fantasy zone.

I dont think that has so much to do with the fact that the guy is an anime obsessee, as the fact that the guy is a total jerk-wad moron, and obviously obssessivly controlling. A guy like that would find some excuse to do that sort of thing wether he was into anime or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Quote:

I don't think that has so much to do with the fact that the guy is an anime obsessee, as the fact that the guy is a total jerk-wad moron, and obviously obssessivly controlling. A guy like that would find some excuse to do that sort of thing wether he was into anime or not.

Uh... how about we not make such hasty judgements about a situation we know about as much about, as the average citizen knows about the specific workings of a supercooler. Which is, suffice to say, maybe one unenlightened comment they heard from someone else (if they know anything at all). There's far from enough information to draw such conclusions here. Even if there was enough information though, it isn't really appropriate to attack other people as human beings here.
namelissis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Eruanna wrote:
Quote:

I don't think that has so much to do with the fact that the guy is an anime obsessee, as the fact that the guy is a total jerk-wad moron, and obviously obssessivly controlling. A guy like that would find some excuse to do that sort of thing wether he was into anime or not.

Uh... how about we not make such hasty judgements about a situation we know about as much about, as the average citizen knows about the specific workings of a supercooler. Which is, suffice to say, maybe one unenlightened comment they heard from someone else (if they know anything at all). There's far from enough information to draw such conclusions here. Even if there was enough information though, it isn't really appropriate to attack other people as human beings here.

Sorry, if you think we're so pre-judgmental but, I just stated an instance that i've read and made it an example here... so to support my thread!

So does it mean, that this can be locked?
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
I wasnt meaning to be judgmental. I was only commenting on the specific example given. "In the instance of someone forcing someone else to cosplay for them ect ect"
It is true that I have no idea what the actually cercumstance was, as all I know about it was what was said here. Sorry.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
I don't think that has so much to do with the fact that the guy is an anime obsessee, as the fact that the guy is a total jerk-wad moron, and obviously obssessivly controlling.

I was referring to comments like this, nothing more. Attacking ideas is perfectly fine, such as "forcing someone to do something is bad", but to them draw the conclusion that the person is obviously a "total jerk-wad moron, and obviously obsessively controlling" based on completely inadquate and biased information is premature to the point that you can never draw such definite or specific conclusions from the information one typically gets in a forum. Of course, even if it is true, attacking him personally isn't what we try to do here. Attack ideas, not people.

EDIT: Just sayin'. Don't be so quick to judge, particularly when the information is sketchy at best.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
Alright, sorry. My bad. Embarassed
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:11 am Reply with quote
Well You can't look in any corner of my room without atleast seeing 5 things of anime minimum, ever since 8th grade I have always had anime on the cover of my binder, I have read more manga then normal books, my closet has a bunch of Shonen Jumps in it, I mostly wear anime shirts, my Ipod is full of anime openings and closings, and my desk if full of anime figures. I don't count all the tankoban and DVD's I have since to me doing the legal thing isn't being obsessive. So you could say I am obsessive with anime and it is my main hobby. I do other things though like play video games, go to school, go shopping, family activities, go to peoples houses and get owned in HALO, etc. I can also carry along a conversation without talking about anime. I don't consider myself normal but I'm not some person who act's like its real or goes around dressing like an anime character. I don't mind cosplay as along as it isn't crazy. I think it would be cool if I had a wife that wanted to dress up like an anime character for me but I wouldn't force her. Now walking around everyday dressed as a character is weird. For Otakukin I didn't know such a thing existed until I read their mail in Answer man. Although it did get me thinking though, when Shikamaru was about to fight those sound Ninja and was saying that speech about how he wanted to get married, have kids, be a ninja, etc, I was like "Holy crap replace ninja with teacher and thats me". So who knows maybe I was Shikamaru in a past life lol Smile although I rather be Sasuke.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Quote:

The only reason I say he's obsessed with anime is the fact the person he wanted her to dress up as was Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi. Not just dress up like her, act like her as much as possible. This guy wants an anime gf/wife and would have made this girl into one as much as possible. I would not be surprised if he's into that Otakukin (right word?) junk. I wouldn't wanna know what character he thinks he was in a past life. I feel ashamed to say he was my friend at one point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4