• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the FB thread, Torhu_san. In all thoughts, Kimi probably would not have shyed away, and it would probably not have been a shock for her to know that the student president turns into a mouse.

Yes, aya_honda, it is spoiler[Hiro ]Very Happy And look how our thread has turned out as well Very Happy
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Kimi spoiler[hasn't tried to hug Yuki. I would think hugging would be another weapon in Kimi's arsenal of flirtation. Very Happy Can you imagine the reaction of the Prince Yuki fans if she had tried? Picture Kimi running in slow motion down the school hallway, arms widely outstretched, shouting "Yun yun!" In the background, Motoko's jaw just hit the floor and she's making incoherant noises because she's dumbfounded by the sight. Laughing Of course, Yuki would put a stop to everything before the hug occured.]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
BTW Murph, how have you been doing with watching the anime so far?
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
BTW Murph, how have you been doing with watching the anime so far?

I'm about to finish a couple other series I requested through Neflix, then the rest of Fruits Basket will arrive. I started a few too many series at the same time, so instead of confusing myself going back and forth I decided to finish watching a couple of those, then I'll finish Fruits Basket. I'm very curious about the spoiler[last episode. I just hope it doesn't ruin the rest of the series.] Very Happy Please, don't spoil it for me.

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
A victory for Fruits Basket fans at the American Awards. Look at Best Manga for the year Very Happy Anyways, here's for starting tonight's conversation into next week.

WElcome to Hiro Week!! The boy with the big mouth, but as we discover, a soft spot for a special character in his heart, and one in our hearts too. As we see him first he has just entered adolescence, but as the series progresses we see him mature as well.

Characters related to Hiro:
- Kisa
- Tohru
- Shigure
- Kyo
- Yuki
- Akito
- Momiji
- Hatsuharu
- Rin
- Ayame (unseen but heard of)
- Hiro's Mom

This week should generate quite a bit of discussion, since Hiro has appeared in the comics since volume 6. Enjoy folks!!

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

I was so happy to see that it has been appreciated so much there and it actually won the best manga title, since it is a story really interesting and powerful not to mention about the artwork.

Laughing Can I say I hated Hiro at first? spoiler[The way he made all those commentaries that annoyed me so much at some point. It was one of those people who seemed to know about everything and who didn't want to know very much about the others. He seemed not to have the sense of ridiculous that most characters had and perhaps the smug way in which he spoke to the other characters, particularly to Tohru annoyed me even more. ]

On the other hand I think that what he wanted the most was to be spoiler[a hero for Kisa. We all know how much he loved Kisa and how much he wanted to protect her but he never could or he seemed that he was never able to succeed in doing that. I think that it all starts from the fact that Akito attacks Kisa when Hiro confessed that he really likes her. It made me mad to see the violence with which Akito pushed Kisa especially since Kisa is one of the sweetest characters in the manga. But I dare say that Hiro is made especially for her. Since that attack Hiro decided that perhaps he shouldn't be so close to Kisa so as Akito wouldn't have anymore reasons to be mean with her. On the other hand this measure really backs fire since Kisa after running away from home is discovered by Haru and she meets Tohru. ]

I was quite amused to see spoiler[Hiro getting so jealous on Tohru and the love that Kisa has for her. I think that in a way Hiro wants to grow up too fast. He wants to protect Kisa that is why he is always so serious and that it why he always trying perhaps a little too hard to be protective with her. On one hand he succeeds in being mean to the others and especially to Tohru (I think it was Haru who warned him that Kisa would get really angry with him if he continues like this) and on the other hand by doing this he really is hurting Kisa.]

Since that incident with Akito, I think that Hiro has started to spoiler[demand too much from him. He wants to protect everybody, he wants to be very mature but on the other hand he is still a little boy who still needs to play and have fun in life. ] But nonetheless he is one of the most luckiest jyuunishi since he spoiler[has a mother that loves him very much. I believe that he can easily be called a lucky zodiac for the simple fact that he wasn't rejected by his mother at his birth like in Momiji's case. His mother loved him just the way he was, even he transformed into a sheep. I always thought that his mother is one of the nicest parents in the manga.]

Ok, I think I'll stop here before continuing to babble. Embarassed Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely. When I spoiler[first saw him too I thought of him as a brat who can't keep his mouth shut. But slowly and steadily we were able to discover things about him that makes him what he is. ]
One, he spoiler[is a child that has just entered adolescence, and does not know how to control his feelings, towards the girl that he cares for and towards others. He doesn't know how to say things except through what he knows now. He is torn between whether he can be close to Kisa again after her run-in with Akito or to stay away from her, like he did after the incident.]
Two, spoiler[because Kisa found shelter and support in Tohru, Hiro is indeed jealous, but I think it's understandable coming from a 12 year old. But as we learn he will try and work on winning Kisa over, to be her "prince" like Tohru said] Wink
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote
Hee hee, thanks for the welcome! I have wanted to post on the thread many tims, but it was one of those things where your opinion was already stated, and no likes redundant posts hahahaha.

As for Hiro....I hated him at first. If for nothing else that I was born in the year of the Sheep/Goat/Ram, and I was like, "Man....this little brat is representing my year of the Zodiac." hahahaha

He is definitely a character that grows on you. I wanted to kick him after spoiler[]he took Tohru's ID wallet that had the picture of her mother in it.] Although when you start to read why he is the way he is, he becomes much more likeable. My opinion of him completely changed when I read spoiler[the chapters concerning he and Rin. That he actually saw Akito push her out the wondow, and then was concerned for her ever since. He didn't get mad at her, when she attacked him for being happy with his parents. Also the way he worries (in his own way hahaha) for his mom while she is pregnant, and combine that with the love he has for Kisa, and the desire he has to protect her, ] has transformed me into a total Hiro fan. Very Happy [/b]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
Hiro is more than a bit snotty but like the rest of you have said, he really can't help it. spoiler[Part of the reason that he reacts the way he does, is the fact that he's trying to hide how much he cares about people. Because he has seen what happens when he tells people who are important (Akito) that he likes/loves somebody...they get hurt. ]

Hiro spoiler[wants to protect those that he loves but because he's a little boy, he can't. He isn't strong enough yet. In some ways this reminds me of the scene where Fuhuer Bradley murders the chimera Marta who was trying to hide inside Alphonse's armor. Al, too, is a little boy and wasn't able to protect the one he cared about.]

I think that Hiro needs to be spoiler[hugged senseless by Tohru, in the same manner that she hugged Kisa when Kisa joined Shigure's household for a time.] Can you imagine how insane that would drive him! Twisted Evil
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, like almost everybody else has said, spoiler[I really didn't like Hiro at first. But, he's growing on me. His love for Kisa and his (over)protectiveness of his pregnant mom are softening me toward the character.]

I agree 100 percent with LydiaDianne's post, but I also think spoiler[part of his problem with Tohru is Hiro wants to jump into full girlfriend/boyfriend mode with Kisa and consume most of her time. Kisa obviously wants and finds an older sister in Tohru, and wants to spend time with her.]

Hiro spoiler[could learn a lot watching Yuki and Kyo interact with Tohru. And, I think he is watching. During that trip to the summer house, when he couldn't avoid Tohru, Kyo and Yuki, I saw Hiro relax a great deal. I think Hiro realized maintaining a friendship with Kisa should come first, and his attitude problem sometimes works against that.]

-Murph
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, if we are to mention which are the episodes when we loved the most Hiro, I would definetly say that it would be the time when spoiler[he told Hasru what really happened to Rin and perhaps why she has broken up with him. To see Hiro finally admitting that someone is kind and that he might as well help the others made me feel that this character had so much to offer till the end. I think that episode proved only too well that Hiro definetly matures from a spoiled little brat with a big mouth to a more mature young man, ready to become a prince to the one that he loves, namely Kisa.]

On the other hand, it is really interesting to see the relationship that exists for example between him and Kyo. spoiler[All the time Hiro has something bad to say to Kyo, not particularly mean, more like a teasing... well, a smug very cynic teasing. Rolling Eyes From the early beginnings of the manga when Kyo tries to take Tohru's side and convince Hiro to stop acting like a spoiled child to the endings of the manga, all made me feel that Hiro had some really mixed up feelings for the cat. I really can't say even now what was actually going on between them.]

What do you think? Confused
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
On the other hand, it is really interesting to see the relationship that exists for example between him and Kyo. spoiler[All the time Hiro has something bad to say to Kyo, not particularly mean, more like a teasing... well, a smug very cynic teasing. Rolling Eyes From the early beginnings of the manga when Kyo tries to take Tohru's side and convince Hiro to stop acting like a spoiled child to the endings of the manga, all made me feel that Hiro had some really mixed up feelings for the cat. I really can't say even now what was actually going on between them.]

Actually, I think Kyo and Hiro spoiler[have a lot of similarities. They react to certain situations in much the same way. But, where Kyo will lose his temper and start shouting, Hiro will instantly have a snotty remark or put-down. Both reactions tend to drive people away.]

I think spoiler[maybe they start to understand each other during the trip to the summer house. It's the scene after Hiro goes off about Tohru's mom, causing Tohru to worry she's done something wrong. Kyo tells Hiro she doesn't seem a cheerful as usual that day while Hiro is thinking Tohru's her usual perky self. Sure, that conversation starts off with Kyo losing his temper and accusing Hiro of saying something to upset Tohru, which brings a smart-mouth response for Hiro. But, once the conversation turns to Tohru becoming less cheerful, Kyo's anger turns to concern for Tohru and Hiro doesn't have any sarcastic reply. If I remember that scene correctly, that is. Of course, in my reading Hiro doesn't appear again until the play, and doesn't interact with Kyo, so I could be way off base.] Very Happy

Kisa spoiler[keeps Hiro in check. I love how Hiro starts mouthing off about how stupid a trip the the summer house is, but when Kisa says "Lets go," Hiro changes his mind.] Laughing

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Kisa has Hiro spoiler[wrapped VERY tightly around her little finger. And the truly charming thing is - Kisa doesn't know it. Hiro knows that he is and does nothing or is unable to do anything about it except "Yes, Dear!"]

How do Hiro and Ayame get along? My mind is a blank right now about that relationship. Of course, I'm sure any cutting remarks by Hiro would roll right off Ayame's impenetrable shield. I am sure that Shigure and Hatori would be able to verbally smack Hiro down though...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Hiro spoiler[in a way needed something to keep him going in all that he does, to strive to become better in himself. As you all have been saying, this is Kisa. And yes, she doesn't realize it till the very end when Hiro does tell Haru the truth of what happened to Rin. This proved to be a major step up and a brave one at that, because he was endangering himself as well as Kisa, Haru and Rin. Luckily Haru kept it in the dark from Akito when he confronted her. I'm surprised Akito didn't think to remember that Hiro was the only one who witnessed her pushing Rin out of the window. ]

The thing between Hiro and Ayame spoiler[is that it never happened, and Takaya sensei expressed disappointment in not being able to get them into a chapter together. But she explicitly states that Hiro does not like Ayame, and I can imagine why Laughing His snotty insult of a mouth would just bounce off Ayame like Yuki's words of irritation towards Ayame, and I'm sure that Hiro gets tired of hearing Ayame talk in his princely fashion.]

I think one thing that helped spoiler[Hiro mature was the fact that he found out he was going to become an oniisan. And when his baby sister was born, he had two girls to protect. Another touching moment about Hiro was when he realized that he had been freed of the curse, and when his mom walked in she found her son holding her daughter for the first time that was possible. A touching moment.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Another touching moment about Hiro was when he realized that he had been freed of the curse, and when his mom walked in she found her son holding her daughter for the first time that was possible. A touching moment.[/spoiler]

Please tell me that there was a very nice drawing of spoiler[Hiro holding the baby with his mother in the classic pose of hands over mouth crying. Actually, I'd probably settle for anything but I'd like that sort of pose the best!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 170