• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shin-Chan Returns to Adult Swim This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Man,I was wishing they didn't bring back this show because its as idiotic as American animation. I hope they put its on Sunday because this show sucks like the rest of the shows on Sunday

Yes, because American animation clearly cannot be good compared to the superior Japanese anime. Bugs Bunny should shoot himself. Rolling Eyes
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
I'm personally looking forward ot the DVD BOXSET release. Usually FUNi puts stuff out in singles first.

As for what little of the dub I've watched it was pretty silly and fun. It probably doesn't matter if they put the episodes out in "dub production" order, since Shin-Chan is a very episodic show and probably has no real continuity.

Of course, I'm speaking out of my ass here, though.

- Bilis

I still don't understand why they're mixing up the order of the episodes. Yes, I can see that there isn't really much of a story in Shin-chan in terms of continuity, so it wouldn't really hurt. Though I can't help but think, "unless there's a logical reason behind it, why did they even bother to mix it up?"

I love comedic series, so I really want to get into Crayon Shin-chan; though the whole ordeal is leaving my puzzled. Is there any real reason as to why they're mixing up the order?

Though if FUNi leaves some sort of note in the DVDs as to what episode they were in original broadcast order, that would suffice for me as well, if I ever intend to pick up this series.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
this series is absolutely mind-numbingly stupid. It appeals to the lowest common denominator.

and that's why I love it.... Very Happy

albeit in small doses
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Man,I was wishing they didn't bring back this show because its as idiotic as American animation. I hope they put its on Sunday because this show sucks like the rest of the shows on Sunday

Judging by your name and your blatantly biased comment, I'm guessing you're one of those anime fanboys that thinks Japanese animation is superior to any other kind of animation no matter what? If you are, well I won't say your wrong (I don't want to start a flame war in here) but at least give this show a try. It's anime, not American animation so I don't see why you wouldn't like it. If you think it was American animation...lol @ you. Have you seen the Japanese version of it? (Read: no edits or English dub) It's hilarious!

Here's proof that this is anime and not American animation:
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=animelist&noalias=1&notinml=0&adb.search=Crayon%20Shin-chan&orderby=year&orderdir=0

aluria wrote:
Yuck! I've never seen an of the anime but sadly, I have read the manga and that was bad enough! I'm not a fan of the over the top stupid Mad

You should watch the anime, I heard it's funnier than the manga.

poehitman wrote:
I can't believe they are putting this crap back on.

poehitman wrote:
Tried watching it. Couldn't stand it. Hopefully they'll stick it on Sunday with the rest of the idiotic shows.

Again, have you seen the Japanese version of it? No edits or annoying English voices?

I don't like the English version of this show, but I will admit I loved the original Japanese version. If you like Family Guy, Excel Saga, Nerima Daikon Brothers and Super Milk-chan (the Japanese one, again)...then this show is for you. The Japanese version though.

Even though I like the Japanese version and I think the English version's edits cut off some off some of the comedy, I'll still watch it. It's hilarious no matter what.

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Usually I dislike "localizing" the humor and dialogue in a show, but with Shin-chan, I actually enjoy it, to an extent. I'd certainly watch it in Japanese with subtitles on DVD, but I'm pretty fond of the show as a dub and look forward to its return.

"To be a man you must have honor, honor and a peeeeenis!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It may be stupid, but it is good adult humor, and I'm sure that people will enjoy it even more now that they'll have more of it coming on now. I wish I could watch it. Just remember, it's a kid's show in Japan.
emory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
It may be stupid, but it is good adult humor, and I'm sure that people will enjoy it even more now that they'll have more of it coming on now. I wish I could watch it. Just remember, it's a kid's show in Japan.

But it's published in a seinen magazine.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
But it's published in a seinen magazine.

That would be understandable due to its content, but the time frame they run the show in still qualifies it as a kid's show. Heck, they run series from shonen magazines after 12 at night.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
Yuck! I've never seen an of the anime but sadly, I have read the manga and that was bad enough! I'm not a fan of the over the top stupid Mad

Trust me, the Anime is much much better. You can only stuff so much into the Manga before you have space constraints.

Then again, I saw it thru Tape-Traded KIKU Subs, so i'm partial to them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
If Shin Chan appears to "suck", it's likely due to FUNi's improvisational dub. The actual show is funnier
than that. If you still don't believe me, give the manga from Dr. Master a whirl.

originalbilis: I agree that Shin Chan's mostly episodic, but viewers might not be familiar with certain characters, unless they see certain episodes.

aluria: Actually, Shin Chan's very clever for the most part, albeit a dirty version of Calvin and Hobbes type of clever.

Buster: I'm guessing they think the episodes with newer animation would sell better over here.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they're finally airing another non-action anime.
Kaneda979

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
LOL, yes! So glad this show got picked up. The people spoke, including myself and Adult Swim are keeping it. Very Happy To me it's Funimation's way of proving that they can do good adult comedy.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If Shin Chan appears to "suck", it's likely due to FUNi's improvisational dub. The actual show is funnier
than that. If you still don't believe me, give the manga from Dr. Master a whirl.

Now that I look back, I think FUNimation never really matched the voices to the characters. Original Shin-Chan was high-pitched and it sounded like he was a kid. The FUNi dub....i'm getting the impression it's a woman trying to imitate a male voice...poorly.

I seriously hope FUNi puts out a subtitled version....and at least bought the translated stuff from KIKU.
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Now that I look back, I think FUNimation never really matched the voices to the characters. Original Shin-Chan was high-pitched and it sounded like he was a kid. The FUNi dub....i'm getting the impression it's a woman trying to imitate a male voice...poorly.

I seriously hope FUNi puts out a subtitled version....and at least bought the translated stuff from KIKU.

You honestly think an American Anime Licensor Company would buy fan translations to use on their official DVD releases?

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Karasuhebi wrote:

You honestly think an American Anime Licensor Company would buy fan translations to use on their official DVD releases?

-Karasuhebi

http://www.kikutv.com

Does any fansub group have thier own FCC transmitter?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3