• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Afro Samurai(AS SEEN ON SPIKE!)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I've seen some clips online, awesome show! Heard they completed the mini-series on TV. Now it's off the air. I never got a chance to watch it because it was on pretty late. If the complete mini-series is on DVD then I'll get it. Have you seen it?! Feel free to comment this page.

Last edited by Anime World on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Irish Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I saw it. It was the only show that I have watched on Spike in a long time too.

It was pretty cool. Kind of a mixing of genres in a way that didn't seem awkward or unrealistic. I didn't catch the run, it was just the one show I watched, as nothing else seemed to be on at the time. But I would gladly sit down and watch another episode.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Ouch,sorry to tell you this you didn't miss much. It was very boring and it was a ten times worst version of Samurai Champloo. Matter of fact the only thing this has going for its was having a big name voice actor and that ain much.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Naruto fan, you already state random opinions as fact with every topic you make and people put up with it and make the topic productive. But when you carry that over to other peoples topics (and you do it constantly) people seem to nicely just tell you to shut up. Well, I will not so nicely, simply tell you to shut up and stop saying stupid things as fact. I don't care if you slam the show but when you word it like you're telling a 15 year old that still believes in Santa that he doesn't exist it just pisses me off. Your opinion is not fact and stop acting like it is.

Anyway, yeah the show was pretty cool. I thought it was supposed to be on Thursday at 11pm but it was never on so I just gave up and downloaded torrents for it every week (and I would've seen it for free on tv anyway so don't judge me). It does sorta remind me of Samurai Champloo but with a nice hunk of Kill Bill right in the middle (both of which I enjoyed).
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Not only that, the fight between Afro and Mecha Afro reminded me a bit of that Sonic Movie that has Mecha Sonic in it, I dunno why but the way Mecha Afro fought after being skinned and nothing but his metal showed, that's what it reminded me of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote
It had its ups and downs. Very cool action and beautiful animation.

There really wasnt much in the way of story, jusy mindless action mostly. Not that that was entirely bad...

I found it ironic that It was soooo publicised that Samuel L Jackson did the main character's voice, but then he only had about 3 lines an episode. Jackson shoulda does his friends voice, then at least we would have heard from him a little more Wink
Renocide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
Pre-order it now for a May 22.

From the small trailers and stuff it looks really good.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Ouch,sorry to tell you this you didn't miss much. It was very boring and it was a ten times worst version of Samurai Champloo.

Are you saying Champloo was bad? If so, stop watching anime. Now.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Matter of fact the only thing this has going for its was having a big name voice actor and that ain much.

That didn't stop me from not watching it. I'm not going to watch a show just because of a single voice actor who has hardly any lines. What I want is story, and I think Afro Samurai was severely lacking in that department.

ikillchildren wrote:
I found it ironic that It was soooo publicised that Samuel L Jackson did the main character's voice, but then he only had about 3 lines an episode. Jackson shoulda does his friends voice, then at least we would have heard from him a little more

Unless that emoticon means something, Jackson DID play Ninja Ninja as well as Afro.
Doctor who

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
I only got to see the first episode, but I liked it enough to buy the series when it comes out on DVD.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
Whoa! calm down blind_assassion I did not say what I said was a fact. Maybe,I could have said its with the words this is just mine opinion but get off mine back I did not mean to offend anyone. Also,God Gundam Samurai Champloo is one of mine favorite series I was just saying I could not shake the vibe that its was a ripoff of that show.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Doctor who

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Whoa! calm down blind_assassion I did not say what I said was a fact.

Everyone here seems to get remarkably angry over that stuff. I don't have a clue in the world why though. "My god you don't love everything as much as me HATE HATE HATE!"
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Anime World wrote:
I've seen some clips online, awesome show! Heard they completed the mini-series on TV. Now it's off the air. I never got a chance to watch it because it was on pretty late. If the complete mini-series is on DVD then I'll get it. Have you seen it?! Feel free to comment this page.

There are actually two versions that will be available on DVD, one being the edited spikeTV edition. And the other being the uncut version of the show. One thing to note is that there doesn't appear to be a Japanese voice track for this DVD. I assumed that it would be ready by May and was part of the reason why it was pushed back from March.

As for itself I thought that it had some really well done scene but there were some things that really bother me. Spoiler through the finale

spoiler[Ninja Ninja, Aka the alter ego of Afro, the whole character is just so over the top with a token black man I am surprised they got Samuel Jackson to actually do the role. Otherwise I thought that the Teddy Bear fight was a really interesting fight, yet the battle with the number one was completely lackluster. First characters are coming back to life after being stab in half, and then Afro comes back to life for some odd reason....It's almost like Gonzo forgot that the show was about Afro getting revenge and just kind of quickly ended the battle just to get it over with. ]

I'm probably going to pick up the uncut dvds for comparison purpose, but even then I probably won't pick it up for some time seeing as May is normally an expensive month for me. But overall it's was a decent show to watch on TV, and was pretty neat that the US got to see it first.
sun3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that I am guilty of watching it because Sam Jackson was in it. The ad campaign worked. Well done, Spike TV.

Although I was wondering, "When is Sam gonna get here?" the rest of the story kept me entertained. Some fights were good, others not; but in the end, I won't buy this series, but I'd certainly rent it to watch from start to finish.
Anime World

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Renocide wrote:
Pre-order it now for a May 22.

From the small trailers and stuff it looks really good.

Thanks for the info! I'm getting the uncut edition!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
ikillchildren wrote:
I found it ironic that It was soooo publicised that Samuel L Jackson did the main character's voice, but then he only had about 3 lines an episode. Jackson shoulda does his friends voice, then at least we would have heard from him a little more

Unless that emoticon means something, Jackson DID play Ninja Ninja as well as Afro.

My bad, I didn't realize that. Regardless though, the voice actors were really pretty irrelevant since there was very little dialouge anyway from any character.

Anyone know whats up now? That wasnt all was it? If not when are we gonna see the rest of the series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3